By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Punchout gets a A+ from 1up, Will it outsell Killzone 2 in its first week?

tuoyo said:
It won't even get 1.5 million life time let alone week 1.

Really? I think that's a bit too pessimistic for life to date, by far. I mean, Endless Ocean could end up near that amount at the end of its life, and you don't think Punch-Out!! will get there?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

No.

Punchout is not nearly as hyped as KZ2 was and the fans of the original are pretty old now and not the types to wait in line to buy a game on the first day.

If it turns out to be a really great game, it could probably outsell KZ2 lifetime tho.. but first week is pretty much out of the question.

d outlawauron said:
dahuman said:
well, there is no real number, I'll give you that much, we just know 21 mil since 2007, but if a game like HL2 costed 40mil on PC when they didn't even have 160 people they have today, I really don't see how KZ2 can be any lower when they had a peak of 190 devs and at least 120 minimal and valve doesn't even come close to having that many people on a game at once, if anything, it's just logic at work. I'm just not impressed by the end result of KZ2, but that's a personal thing, and I know I'm not the only one.

@outlaw
the dev kit, ah, the lovely PS3 dev kit, that really just means that the programmers can't do anything, but that won't stop the art work and basically root work from taking place since it was announced, I'm sure those were all free right?

But it's ignorant to think that KZ2 was in development all that time with Killzone: Liberation not even finished until Holiday 2006.

The studio itself was still tiny then.

wait, they announced 2 before 1 was done? I didn't even know that, wtf that's even worse on sony's management part >=( I had the AVGN face after reading that =_=

dahuman said:
d outlawauron said:
dahuman said:
well, there is no real number, I'll give you that much, we just know 21 mil since 2007, but if a game like HL2 costed 40mil on PC when they didn't even have 160 people they have today, I really don't see how KZ2 can be any lower when they had a peak of 190 devs and at least 120 minimal and valve doesn't even come close to having that many people on a game at once, if anything, it's just logic at work. I'm just not impressed by the end result of KZ2, but that's a personal thing, and I know I'm not the only one.

@outlaw
the dev kit, ah, the lovely PS3 dev kit, that really just means that the programmers can't do anything, but that won't stop the art work and basically root work from taking place since it was announced, I'm sure those were all free right?

But it's ignorant to think that KZ2 was in development all that time with Killzone: Liberation not even finished until Holiday 2006.

wait, they announced 2 before 1 was done? I didn't even know that, wtf that's even worse on sony's management part >=( I had the AVGN face after reading that =_=

Killzone 1 was done in 2004. The Killzone 2 CGI trailer was shown at E3 2005. Killzone Liberation was the title being developed during that time and was released in October of 2006.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

this is part of the review, as shown on metcritic:

"While Punch Out!! makes for an entertaining enough solitary experience, the back-seat driving aspect makes it positively shine as a party game. There's nothing quite like having a few friends over, passing the controller around, shouting advice, and just generally bonding over some hilarious, bloodless violence."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this score is going to skew the average slightly. (It's an extreme score that most no one else will give it)

Around the Network
YUndying said:
CGI-Quality said:

Aren't these two games a tad different in demographics? How are they remotely comparable?

Ok fine, to your question, Punch-Out!!! may end up with 2-3mill sales Lifetime, don't shoot me (IT'S POSSIBLE). Judging from Killzone 2, I may have to, at some point, bring my prediction down for it. I don't know, we'll see how the rest of the year pans out.

There is no way a Nintendo D list franchise will sell over a million.

Your comments in this thread have been offensive to me, personally. I believe that you simply didn't know what you were, and are talking about. You don't know much about Nintendo besides the names of their fanchises and that you hate them.

You were probably drawn into this thread because you felt a need to defend Killzone 2, or simply bash Nintendo. Here is why this post is wrong imo, and why you should stop trying to defend it.

A. Much WORSE and less well known Nintendo "franchises" have sold over a million copies. So, there obviously IS a way a Nintendo "D" list franchise will sell over a million copies, as it has happened numerous times in the past, and will continue to happen in the future.

B. It is only your opinion that Punchout is a "D" list franchise. From the sales of the first game and the reviews of this one, it is clearly a very successful and well made franchise, at the very least.

C. Killzone is a D list franchise, according to your logic, or rather, a logic very similar to yours.

D. Generalizing and categorizing games based on your percieved quality of them is in and of itself, an ignorant act. It is a pitiful attempt to marginalize a game simply based on your precieved status of it, rather than its own merits.

Now, sir, while it is fine and dandy for you to exclaim that you think Punchout will sell like crap, flaming the entire franchise, simply because you became defensive at the mere mention of an HD exclusive, is inexcusable, and it offends me personally. An apology should be in order, but I doubt you could swallow your pride long enough to give us one, so just watch yourself in the future, so hopefully you don't end up in this situation again.

As for my prediction, 400k first week, 2.5m lifetime sales.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

theprof00 said:
this is part of the review, as shown on metcritic:

"While Punch Out!! makes for an entertaining enough solitary experience, the back-seat driving aspect makes it positively shine as a party game. There's nothing quite like having a few friends over, passing the controller around, shouting advice, and just generally bonding over some hilarious, bloodless violence."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this score is going to skew the average slightly. (It's an extreme score that most no one else will give it)

From initial reviews and impressions, I would guess this game will end up in the 85-90 range, which is excellent.

I mean, GH Metallica managed those same reviews, and it's easily the best Guitar Hero game yet released. 85-90 in our modern reviewing world, for a game that wasn't vastly hyped amongst reviewers, is a fantastic accomplishment.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

outlawauron said:
dahuman said:
d outlawauron said:
dahuman said:

@outlaw

Killzone 1 was done in 2004. The Killzone 2 CGI trailer was shown at E3 2005. Killzone Liberation was the title being developed during that time and was released in October of 2006.

ah got cha.

Nah, this game'll sell in long term more than front load sales.

500k the most for 1st week ,and around 2-3m life time.

Btw ,count me in for first week sales. :D

I don't think so. Killzone it a AAA tittle for Sony (and Sony deservs a lot of this tittle) and Puch-Out!! its a regular game (for Nintendo).

MY ZELDA COLLECTION