By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony FY 3/09' Results, FY 3/10' Projections Coming May 14

DirtyP2002 said:

Here are the results of Sonys Gaming division for the last couple of years:

• FY09: $600 million loss
  • FY08: $1300 million loss
  • FY07: $2400 million loss
  • FY06: $90 million profit

In the last 4 years Sony reported a $4.21 billion loss.

We do know that the PS2 was profitable for all the years I listed. The PSP probably was at break even-point in 06 and profitable since then.

So the losses made happened because of the PS3. The losses made with the PS3 are really insane when you think about it. We have $4.21 billion reported, but that is not all. You have to add the profits made with the PSP and the PS2 for 4 years. In the years 03 - 05 Sony reported a combined profit of $2.3 billion USD.

So a total loss of $6 billion just for the PS3 is likely. Think about 6 billion USD for ONE single product. That is huge.

It wouldn't be so bad if sony had piles and mountains of cash to cover the losses like nintendo and microsoft ($25 billion).

Sony does not have this luxury. 

SHOCKINGLY they are forecasting ANOTHER LOSS for fiscal year 2010!!

Around the Network

SONY's losses were inline with expectations.

As far as the game segment goes it seems SONY is now planning to just survive this generation and aim for profitability next-gen, which would confirm that PS4 will launch at a slight loss or slight profit in order to prevent a repeat of SONY's current situation.

( I can also see SONY's electronics division attempting to launch a new brand of cheaper / lower quality products since high priced products like Bravia's / VAIO's don't sell well in recession )

TheTruthProphet said:

@spanky - just to clear up your selective memory.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19463

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2701

KAZ HIRAI even expected ps3 to be profitable by APRIL 2008

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/13741.cfm

thanks for the bait, but I'm not biting anymore.

all those relied on a favorable exchange rate, and only one (The Souces article) was recent enough to consider the current global recession.

Besides, no-one listens Kaz anyway. He's Sony's own shock-jock radio host.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

So the PS3 is officially the most unprofitable console ever.

RAZurrection said:

Naaa the Xbox 1 is still in the lead, never made money or near break even. PS3 is at least going at the right direction. But the PS3 lost most money in 1 year.

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

Around the Network
PalmiNio said:
RAZurrection said:

Naaa the Xbox 1 is still in the lead, never made money or near break even. PS3 is at least going at the right direction. But the PS3 lost most money in 1 year.

I'm not sure it's going in the right direction. SCE's loss in Q4 is higher than last year, and now they're planning to sell 13 million PS3s in the fiscal year, which almost surely indicates a price cut (unexpectedly for me). Not just a price cut, probably a $100 one if the 13m number is serious.

So this means more losses this year (which they predict for SCE as well as Sony), and when SCE starts breaking even again, it's probably time for another price cut...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DirtyP2002 said:

We do know that the PS2 was profitable for all the years I listed. The PSP probably was at break even-point in 06 and profitable since then.

So the losses made happened because of the PS3. The losses made with the PS3 are really insane when you think about it. We have $4.21 billion reported, but that is not all. You have to add the profits made with the PSP and the PS2 for 4 years. In the years 03 - 05 Sony reported a combined profit of $2.3 billion USD.

So a total loss of $6 billion just for the PS3 is likely. Think about 6 billion USD for ONE single product. That is huge.

I know this is the ultimate of spins but....

It just shows that Sony actually pays out of its own pocket for PS3 owners to enjoy their product.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

taxman said:
DirtyP2002 said:

It just shows that Sony actually pays out of its own pocket for PS3 owners to enjoy their product.

Yeah it is the spin of the day.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

taxman said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony: You don't spend $300 on us, we spend $300 on you.

Might work!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sony is not just going to pull a number out there asses and say the PS3 will sell 13 million this year, Sony obviously has a plan. My guess is that a price cut will be coming soon as well as 'system sellers' like GT5 for December.