By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony FY 3/09' Results, FY 3/10' Projections Coming May 14

NJ5 said:
@Dirty: For Q4 results you have to subtract Q3+Q2+Q1, I don't think they explicitly state Q4.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q4_sonypre.pdf

page 12/12. It is easier this way.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

I cant see how this is good...hope they dont start to cut money from the games division.

DirtyP2002 said:
NJ5 said:
@Dirty: For Q4 results you have to subtract Q3+Q2+Q1, I don't think they explicitly state Q4.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q4_sonypre.pdf

page 12/12. It is easier this way.

Oh, thanks. They also have an image of that:

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

dabaus513 said:
I cant see how this is good...hope they dont start to cut money from the games division.

You know I could be mistaken, but it looks like Sony came out ok. We all knew this was gonna be a rough quarter with the economy, but it looks like they did ok considering. They certainly could have done worse.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

The software figures for FY March 2010 seem a bit high to me, but its certaintly possible.

Of the 240m predicted it looks like over half will have to be on PS3 though. PSP software rates are likely to drop to ~0.67 from ~1.0 this year on a games purchased per the 65m user basis...which is like 43m games, down from 50m this year. Without strong hardware sales the PSP software market would be irrelevant already. These rates assume the new PSP Go is introduced successfully as well.

PS2 sw dipped by over 70m this fiscal year. With hardware at 5m for the year its hard to imagine software totals over 55m for PS2.

They forecast 240m games shipped though, so I get about 140m PS3 games shipped in the fiscal year, which would dip the games per user rate from 4.5 this fiscal year to 4 in the next fiscal year. Seems a little optimistic to me on 13m PS3s even with a price cut likely justifying an extra game purchase for most new users.

As I said in my opening tirade, the real problem for Sony is that PS2/PSP software totals should amount to as little as 50m-60m in the following fiscal year, and even though PS3 will probably grow again the company is in a real danger of not seeing software shipments top 200m in a few years.

FY 3/2009 - PSP + PS2 = 134m / PS3 - 103m

FY 3/2010 - PSP + PS2 = 97m/ PS3 - 143m  (240m)

FY 3/2011 - PSP + PS2 = 55m / PS3 - 160m (215m)

FY 3/2012 - PSP + PS2 = 25m / PS3 - 140m  (165m)

To me, it looks like they should probably try to launch PSP2 in late 2010 so that they don't dip under 200m. PS4 would make sense in late 2011.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
dabaus513 said:

You know I could be mistaken, but it looks like Sony came out ok. We all knew this was gonna be a rough quarter with the economy, but it looks like they did ok considering. They certainly could have done worse.

The worst part is that they're forecasting an equal loss in this fiscal year.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

now that all the various segments will be reported together, this is the last time we'll get a "clear" picture for SCE

or am I wrong?

$600mil down for SCE is not too bad considering everything imo. could have been a lot worse.

On the whole, -$1.3bil adj.OI for SONY seems pretty much in line with what they were expecting.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

true, I wish all 3 console makers would make profits tho = /

edit: Why is blu ray so important to sony, did they invent it or whatever? And where are the profits from it? Just curious...

Seems like SNE stock will drop tomorrow

shams said:
DirtyP2002 said:

they forecast 13 million PS3 sales next year. So 25% more than this year. Could be a hint to the long waited price cut.

I still think they are likely to bundle more software for free - a PS3 FFXIII pack & GT5 pack would shift a lot of units.

But a small price cut isn't out of the question - it will make it harder for them to turn a profit next year though.

PS3 sales are currently on target for < 9million (10% down on last year). They will need to shift nearly 50% more PS3 then current momentum to achieve this. I just can't see how that is possible without a $100 pricecut within the next few months.

Unless they have managed to make significant improvements to it's hardware complexity, I don't see how they can do that profitably.