By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it so wrong to hate "casual" games?

yes its wrong. Mc Donald serves a mass market with values of cheap, quick and tasty. but hey guess what your favorite streak house is still in business. So Mc Donalds didn't put out anykind of high end restraunts. It just serves different values. Most of those families still visit the steak house. If Mc Donalds wasn't around they wouldn't start just visiting your favorite place all that more. So it's not stealing any sales, it's just brining in extra sales.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

To answer the titular question, I'd say so, yes.

And it's pathetic, to boot.

If I see any more complaining about casual games, I am going to summon a pack of puppies and have them visit the person who is complaining, to bombard them with puppy dog eye look, until the person gives in and they realize there is more to life than "hardcore" FPS titles. They will be more balanced, even if the side effect will be every 5 minutes, the person will mudder to themselves "Ooo... Puppies!"

If anyone doubts this plan working, I give you... ONE Puppy in Halo 3:

If a single puppy can have that impact on Halo 3, imagine what a pack of puppies can do to the most harden hardcore "mature" gamer.

So, you feel that these games didn't "earn" their sales. What would it take for them to "earn" their sales in your eyes? Bigger budgets? Deliver the same content with more expensive production values?

I don't see why these games should be held responsible just because they had an easier time persuading people to pay money for them than Okami or MadWorld. Shouldn't you be hating hardcore gamers for failing to buy these games in numbers comparable to Nintendogs? The developers did their part, it's the market which is slacking off and not buying.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
So, you feel that these games didn't "earn" their sales. What would it take for them to "earn" their sales in your eyes? Bigger budgets? Deliver the same content with more expensive production values?

I don't see why these games should be held responsible just because they had an easier time persuading people to pay money for them than Okami or MadWorld. Shouldn't you be hating hardcore gamers for failing to buy these games in numbers comparable to Nintendogs? The developers did their part, it's the market which is slacking off and not buying.

Then games like these are left in shadows, when Nintendo only  advertises games like above.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

just keep buyng hardcore games. If we all buy hardcore games they will not stop making them. If the market is there develpers will produce

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Cherry picking much? Not all "core" games automatically sell millions.

Well no it isn't wrong to hate anything as we all differ on things. However, it is kinda silly to take an entire group of games and immediately associate them with one thing and then decide to hate them. Even further to cherry pick the definition which conveniently leads out so called "hardcore" genres (racers, many shooters, some action games) to keep them out of the pot.

I think what people need to understand that the idea of casual and hardcore is subjective to being with and in the end it eventually turns into elitist versus mainstream versus new entry. We should take pride in being long time gamers but remember that we started off the same way they did buying games that were "safe" from an outside standpoint. And we should also remember that not everyone is going to want to play a 50 hour RPG in 3 days. Sometimes people just want to sit down for 10-20 minutes, bowl a few rounds to relieve stress, and then go watch some TV.

I think it is great that gaming has been able to open up to the masses and when that happens, under capitalism, developers are going to try and support as many people as they can. It brings more games to the industry and more opportunities to have better games. I'm not saying you have to like the things like Gardening Mama or whatever it may be but it is nice to know that the industry is working to expand to bring games out for everyone.

You don't have to like them or even buy them, but know that there are people who do want them. Why should we judge them for what they want to play? There are some elitist gamers who look down on people who call themselves hardcore and play nothing but shooters (I do it sometimes haha). No one likes that feeling. Everyone just wants to know they can enjoy the games they like.

So no it isn't wrong to hate "casual" games, but I do think there should be an understanding and a certain line of respect towards the idea and what it is trying to do. But I'd even further like to break down the ideas of casual and hardcore and just keep gaming as something for everyone with many different options.

Hate playing casual games by all means but just hating them for existing is pointless, futile and requires too much energy to bother.

No. We are all entitled to have different opinions. Anyway I hate casual gaming. Some of the rubbish casual games that get released these days is so appalling. Lazy game developers rushing poor quality games onto the game market for a quick buck. There seems to be little or no quality control in regards to games being released onto the market especially third party titles. Casual games are a hit or miss, it works very well on the DS and Wii but not so much on other gaming platforms.