By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did most gamers not like Grand Theft Auto 4?

I liked it. But the constant cell-phone calls and the babysitting that came with it (especially Roman- couuuusin, you havn't called in ten minutes), drove me nuts.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
JUG said:

I've been reading the recent revelations on vgchartz top 100 countdown with interest, and I noticed that lots of people seem to have said something along the lines of "at least game x wasn't beaten by GTA 4!".

It's fair to say that GTA 4 got stellar critical reviews when it came out, and I thought it was a fantastic game. But it was the first GTA I've ever played, so I was wondering if I was missing something here. Did most gamers actually think GTA 4 was massively overrated?

The irony here is that there were threads and posts on this very forum declaring that GTA4 was the best game they ever played within the first 10 minutes of the game.

I wonder where those people are now...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Carl2291 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Carl2291 said:
@Majin.

So you disliked it because it was more realistic?

In GTA4 there is minimal options to do, you cant even pilot a plane...
Sure, the cities are better, but San Andreas actually feels like its a proper landscape, not just some city.

It wasn't realistic, it was annoying and pointless.

Training to be good at something aint realistic... awesome!

If I know how to ride a bike and I decide to walk to work one day, I'm not going to be crappier at riding a bike when I get home. That's not how it works. If I know how to do something and then don't do it for a few years, I'll probably be a bit rusty. But that's okay, because it's easy to re-learn what you've already known.

Say they made a Zelda game where you get the sword, but you're absolutely terrible at using it, by default, and miss 99% of your swings. And you can't use Epona to ride everywhere, because then you'll get fat and slow, you need to run on your own to stay fit. People would get fucking pissed and you know it. But somehow when San Andreas does it, it's the best game ever.

No, it's not realistic at all. It was a poor implementation of an average idea.

gta4 was a downgrade from san andreas.

it well well over reviewed

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

JUG said:

I've been reading the recent revelations on vgchartz top 100 countdown with interest, and I noticed that lots of people seem to have said something along the lines of "at least game x wasn't beaten by GTA 4!".

It's fair to say that GTA 4 got stellar critical reviews when it came out, and I thought it was a fantastic game. But it was the first GTA I've ever played, so I was wondering if I was missing something here. Did most gamers actually think GTA 4 was massively overrated?

From a gameplay and graphics perspective, it was very fun.  Just like every other GTA but with better graphics and far better physics.  What nearly killed it for me was the story.  All of the GTA games have been pretty funny, and GTAIV had some funny moments (all involving Brucie), but overall their attempt at writing a serious story with a tortured protagonist came off as hideously amateurish.  Every time I see a review call the story and writing groundbreaking or even very good, I throw up in my own mouth a little bit.  No GTA game has ever had good writing, but at least the previous entries were tongue in cheek enough to make it work.

I just found Nico execrable as a character.  He was written like shit, he was an annoying whiny bitch, and the voice acting was comically bad.  He sounded like the Count from Sesame Street.  Every time I was killing guys, all I could ever think was, "One headshot..  two headshots..  three headshots...  HA! HA! HA!"

Luckily TLAD somewhat made up for it.

Edit:  I agree with whoever it was earlier that posted about the phone.  FUCK YOU ROMAN.  Roman and Otis from Dead Rising could form a Super Villain club and take down the world with phone spam.

Around the Network

I also hated GTAIV because it was just one city, that wasn't well designed. At least GTAIII/VC had good design, and San Andreas actually felt like a proper state. That 'dead space' was quite cool. Great for a jetpack (no buildings out in the desert) and a 5* wanted level and mayhem. GTAIV was like a big shit wrapped in more shit.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Carl2291 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Lots of people seem to hate the game and say it was a downgrade from San Andreas, but personally, I think it was far, far superior to San Andreas.

How?

It was the best game of the series. Shooting was actually not broken for once, less side mission bullcrap, meaning it's more streamlined, and has a purpose. Better story, better characters, better script, better gameplay, more realistic gameplay, better graphics.

That said, I hated GTA before IV came out. I think they removed all the stuff that sucked from the series, and made it a better, more linear game, that everyone could enjoy, not just those looking for a huge boring sandbox.

That's my opinion, reviewers and most gamers agree.

I just think ur post contain the answer

a lot of gamers (the ones that loved san andreas so much) just wanted a huge sandbox game to kill/drive/destroy everything

they dont care about story or realistic stuff

they care about explosion/shooting etc ...

they just wanted a sandbox game to play with

(I never played a GTA game but that is my 2 cents)

from NintendoMan's post :

I also hated GTAIV because it was just one city, that wasn't well designed. At least GTAIII/VC had good design, and San Andreas actually felt like a proper state. That 'dead space' was quite cool. Great for a jetpack (no buildings out in the desert) and a 5* wanted level and mayhem. GTAIV was like a big shit wrapped in more shit.

Time to Work !

Its worth it to buy now at a cheaper price. I wouldn't say it was a bad game at all, but the story was kind of a let down and there wasn't as much to do on it as there was on San Andreas, I think they were just testing the waters of the newer gen consoles and the next Gta will be massive

i dont get it, it was an awesome game. people should stop complaining.

deathgod33 said:
i dont get it, it was an awesome game. people should stop complaining.

I agree.