By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo admits Wii is close to its ultimate level

theprof00 said:
I just want to point out something very funny.

Nintendo says it's peaked,
and fanboys defend their own opinions.

No, Nintendo did not.  That was the authors assertion based on the new revenue, profit and unit sales projection.  Show me in that article anything directly from Nintendo claiming they have peaked.

Since the numbers of sales aren't changing much the author pulls a very bad journalism tactic of inserting a conlusion or outcome based on irrelevant data.  Point is just because this years figures aren't going to go up much doesn't mean 2010 won't - price cuts, new colors, bundles...hard to say.  But it's an illogical conclusion.  Prosecutors try to use the tactic a lot.

Here is an example of what I'm saying:

Assertion: Tom is a cat.
Assertion: Cats can see in the dark.
Conclusion: Tom can see in the dark.

Unless Tom is blind.

By leaving out that key piece of information - Tom being blind - you can state a logical fallacy to unwitting readers.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
theprof00 said:

No, Nintendo did not.  That was the authors assertion based on the new revenue, profit and unit sales projection.  Show me in that article anything directly from Nintendo claiming they have peaked.

Since the numbers of sales aren't changing much the author pulls a very bad journalism tactic of inserting a conlusion or outcome based on irrelevant data.  Point is just because this years figures aren't going to go up much doesn't mean 2010 won't - price cuts, new colors, bundles...hard to say.  But it's an illogical conclusion.  Prosecutors try to use the tactic a lot.

Unless Tom is blind.

By leaving out that key piece of information - Tom being blind - you can state a logical fallacy to unwitting readers.

"Nintendo reported that its profits in 2008 were the strongest on record but said that it would struggle to repeat the performance as sales of its two main consoles — the Wii and the DS — level off and foreign exchange turmoil destroys margins."

sorry, I was basing my ideas off of this quote.

this also from gamasutra:
"However, not all is rosy on the horizon. Nintendo expects sales and profits to level off or even go down in the year ahead, projecting net sales for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010 to reach ¥1.8 trillion ($18.2 billion, flat), net income of ¥300 billion ($3 billion, an eight percent rise) and operating income of ¥490 billion ( $4.9 billion, a 12 percent decline)."

I don't know if I should say I am sorry or what. I think I'm right. It seems to me that everyone else is saying Nintendo, or the report, is wrong and I don't see any concrete evidence why I should believe them outside of intangible guarantees.

My favourite line from this article, and the other posted just like it the other day, is "the console is beginning to look underpowered compared with the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation3." Yup, it's just NOW beginning to look underpowered and that will be it's down fall!

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

theprof00 said:
Viper1 said:
theprof00 said:

Unless Tom is blind.

"Nintendo reported that its profits in 2008 were the strongest on record but said that it would struggle to repeat the performance as sales of its two main consoles — the Wii and the DS — level off and foreign exchange turmoil destroys margins."

sorry, I was basing my ideas off of this quote.

this also from gamasutra:
"However, not all is rosy on the horizon. Nintendo expects sales and profits to level off or even go down in the year ahead, projecting net sales for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010 to reach ¥1.8 trillion ($18.2 billion, flat), net income of ¥300 billion ($3 billion, an eight percent rise) and operating income of ¥490 billion ( $4.9 billion, a 12 percent decline)."

I don't know if I should say I am sorry or what. I think I'm right. It seems to me that everyone else is saying Nintendo, or the report, is wrong and I don't see any concrete evidence why I should believe them outside of intangible guarantees.

This shouldn't be looked at as saying it's peaked.  Here's why.

Nintendo forecasts slight unit sale increase all around and we know their projections are always conservative.   The revenue, operating profit and net income projections are all based on a high Yen/low Dollar scenario.  As we've noticed in the past few weeks (after Nintendo's fiscal year ended) the dollar has risen against the yen.  Any rise will create hgiher revenue, operating profit and net income above what they projected and if it rises back high enough it can easily surpass the record setting figures of last year.

Notice how they expect flat and and a increase for revenue and operating profit already?  Hard to say they've peaked even themselves are projecting equal to higher values for most of it with operating (net) income geting a break from a rising dollar.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

that's terrible news.....
it means stock investors have no idea of the wave pattern of sales in the videogame market....

It's no wonder they lost so much money these past few years!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO