By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If no PS3 price cut, then Wii60 will steam roll over PS3 in holiday 2009

You're right gamerman, Halo: ODST and CoD:MW2 is being released Q4. CoD sells mostly on Xbox and this is halo we're talking about, xbox will surely be up there with Wii this holiday. PS3 isnt really as good as a software seller as xbox when it comes to shooters either. They cant do a price cut because it will only hurt them more then whats alreadying hurting them now. Its only big in Japan. It needs NA and EU on its side, doesnt seem like its happening. Hopefully Sony can get back on its feet financially but it hard for everyone in this economy.

Around the Network

why are all these threads started by newbies?

ps3 sole requirement: price cut

360's '' '' : Heir to the Throne

Wii's '' '' : Keep up the Wii's

gergroy said:
why are all these threads started by newbies?

cos newbies rule here.

I agree, but this is the catch-22 that Sony's managed to get themselves into. If they cut the price of the PS3 it will kill them, but if they don't cut the price of the PS3 it will kill them.

This is the problem with overengineering a game console. If you can't offer it at a price people are willing to pay for a game console, they will not buy it. Sony's managed to skate by a truly insane amount of risk twice now, by offering consoles initially at a price that wasn't profitable. But risk is risk, and luck runs out if you push it for long enough.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

This is obviously an alternate account to some fanboy, but still, thats ur opinion, I think that the ps3 will outsell the 360 in the holidays

I agree with Carl
Flamebait profile

Carl2291 said:
gameman said:
How is this a flame? This is a website about sales discussions. What elese is there to talk about? We cant talk about reality or its a "flame account"?

I just think you are from the 3 threads youve created... all slating SONY and backing up MS.

Also id like to add, 360 wont have momentum this christmas, its sales are already faltering to about the same as the PS3... the Wii will be the only console with big demand... if things keep up like they are.

LOL...Almost all my thread are backing up the 360...Weird....Except that Zelda manga one.....That was backing up Manga.....

gameman said:

It doesnt matter what games Sony might have, momentum is on Xbox 360 and Wii's side. If Sony doesnt slash the prices, it could be worse than holiday 2008. The sales data for the first half of this year provide plenty of proof the substantiate the facts. Even the amazing and breath taking AAA heavely hyped Killzone 2 couldnt make a dent in sales. What will Sony do? They dont want the shed another $billion dollars and they dont want to lose market share. (A $100 price cut would reduce income by a $billion dollars for every 10 million units sold. )

The reason why many people are annoyed with you is because you make lofty claims with no real evidence to back them up and occasionally make downright false claims.

For instance, saying that it doesn't matter what games Sony has is foolish. If Sony manages to get Final Fantasy XIII in Japan and Gran Turismo 5 worldwide out by late November, then PS3 numbers are going to spike. Final Fantasy XIII alone would probably increase PS3 sales by at least 100k for the first week with sales staying strong through till Christmas.

A multiplatform game like Modern Warfare 2 isn't going to significantly shift consoles toward 360 and I'd be surprised if Halo 3: ODST even managed to sell 25k more than the week before. Forza 3 could move a decent amount, but if it's released anywhere near GT5 than sales will suffer and Rare games never seem to move many consoles so I wouldn't expect anything from them to significantly help 360 sales. The fact of the matter is, if 360 doesn't issue a significant price drop this year, they are going to be down yoy starting September, and simply changing the American price to match the European and Japan prices isn't going to cut it.

As for Sony not slashing prices, you have no grounds on which to say they will or wont, much less how much they would lose. Not a single person on this site has a clue exactly how much Sony loses on each console sold, but the general consensus of the huge majority of informed posters agree that Sony is currently selling the console at a meager loss. Furthermore, Sony will be having a hardware revision to implement the 45nm Cell chip this Summer. Last time Sony did this, they droped to price of the console by $200. Hardware revisions are constantly happening. Saying that Sony would lose 1 billion for every 10 million PS3's sold at $299 is pointless because the system will be quite a bit cheaper by the time 10 million are sold.

I'd also like to point out that Killzone 2 made a VERY noticeable "dent" in PS3 sales. It pushed PS3 sales over 360 sales that week. I don't think anyone can argue that it didn't dent sales.

Seihyouken said:
gameman said:

It doesnt matter what games Sony might have, momentum is on Xbox 360 and Wii's side. If Sony doesnt slash the prices, it could be worse than holiday 2008. The sales data for the first half of this year provide plenty of proof the substantiate the facts. Even the amazing and breath taking AAA heavely hyped Killzone 2 couldnt make a dent in sales. What will Sony do? They dont want the shed another $billion dollars and they dont want to lose market share. (A $100 price cut would reduce income by a $billion dollars for every 10 million units sold. )

The reason why many people are annoyed with you is because you make lofty claims with no real evidence to back them up and occasionally make downright false claims.

For instance, saying that it doesn't matter what games Sony has is foolish. If Sony manages to get Final Fantasy XIII in Japan and Gran Turismo 5 worldwide out by late November, then PS3 numbers are going to spike. Final Fantasy XIII alone would probably increase PS3 sales by at least 100k for the first week with sales staying strong through till Christmas.

A multiplatform game like Modern Warfare 2 isn't going to significantly shift consoles toward 360 and I'd be surprised if Halo 3: ODST even managed to sell 25k more than the week before. Forza 3 could move a decent amount, but if it's released anywhere near GT5 than sales will suffer and Rare games never seem to move many consoles so I wouldn't expect anything from them to significantly help 360 sales. The fact of the matter is, if 360 doesn't issue a significant price drop this year, they are going to be down yoy starting September, and simply changing the American price to match the European and Japan prices isn't going to cut it.

As for Sony not slashing prices, you have no grounds on which to say they will or wont, much less how much they would lose. Not a single person on this site has a clue exactly how much Sony loses on each console sold, but the general consensus of the huge majority of informed posters agree that Sony is currently selling the console at a meager loss. Furthermore, Sony will be having a hardware revision to implement the 45nm Cell chip this Summer. Last time Sony did this, they droped to price of the console by $200. Hardware revisions are constantly happening. Saying that Sony would lose 1 billion for every 10 million PS3's sold at $299 is pointless because the system will be quite a bit cheaper by the time 10 million are sold.

I'd also like to point out that Killzone 2 made a VERY noticeable "dent" in PS3 sales. It pushed PS3 sales over 360 sales that week. I don't think anyone can argue that it didn't dent sales.

I think this is stupid.....People should not talk about KZ2 sales anymore....