By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If no PS3 price cut, then Wii60 will steam roll over PS3 in holiday 2009

Seihyouken said:
gameman said:

It doesnt matter what games Sony might have, momentum is on Xbox 360 and Wii's side. If Sony doesnt slash the prices, it could be worse than holiday 2008. The sales data for the first half of this year provide plenty of proof the substantiate the facts. Even the amazing and breath taking AAA heavely hyped Killzone 2 couldnt make a dent in sales. What will Sony do? They dont want the shed another $billion dollars and they dont want to lose market share. (A $100 price cut would reduce income by a $billion dollars for every 10 million units sold. )

The reason why many people are annoyed with you is because you make lofty claims with no real evidence to back them up and occasionally make downright false claims.

For instance, saying that it doesn't matter what games Sony has is foolish. If Sony manages to get Final Fantasy XIII in Japan and Gran Turismo 5 worldwide out by late November, then PS3 numbers are going to spike. Final Fantasy XIII alone would probably increase PS3 sales by at least 100k for the first week with sales staying strong through till Christmas.

A multiplatform game like Modern Warfare 2 isn't going to significantly shift consoles toward 360 and I'd be surprised if Halo 3: ODST even managed to sell 25k more than the week before. Forza 3 could move a decent amount, but if it's released anywhere near GT5 than sales will suffer and Rare games never seem to move many consoles so I wouldn't expect anything from them to significantly help 360 sales. The fact of the matter is, if 360 doesn't issue a significant price drop this year, they are going to be down yoy starting September, and simply changing the American price to match the European and Japan prices isn't going to cut it.

As for Sony not slashing prices, you have no grounds on which to say they will or wont, much less how much they would lose. Not a single person on this site has a clue exactly how much Sony loses on each console sold, but the general consensus of the huge majority of informed posters agree that Sony is currently selling the console at a meager loss. Furthermore, Sony will be having a hardware revision to implement the 45nm Cell chip this Summer. Last time Sony did this, they droped to price of the console by $200. Hardware revisions are constantly happening. Saying that Sony would lose 1 billion for every 10 million PS3's sold at $299 is pointless because the system will be quite a bit cheaper by the time 10 million are sold.

I'd also like to point out that Killzone 2 made a VERY noticeable "dent" in PS3 sales. It pushed PS3 sales over 360 sales that week. I don't think anyone can argue that it didn't dent sales.

Well said.

Tifa got MOVES!

Around the Network

Well I own two 360's and I will be buying Uncharted 2 as well as a PS3 the day the game drops regardless of the price. So there is 1 sale due to Sony's exclusive title.

gameman said:
Well Microsoft is having YOY increases and Sony is having YOY decreases. Like I said, I thought this was a sales discussion web site. How can we avoid that fact and have an actual conversation? People are so jumpy.

Welcome to VGChartz, where people are easily offended.

Wait for E3...

Yes as long as no FF13 or GT5

with those two even price won't stop sales.

Around the Network

I make these claims because the trends of the generation has already been set. Most people already know what they want. Most people dont live on the internet and have no idea what games come out even when they do. Most people just get what the word on the street is.

The Ps3 still has tons of good games that will drive sales.

Flame said:
You're right gamerman, Halo: ODST and CoD:MW2 is being released Q4. CoD sells mostly on Xbox and this is halo we're talking about, xbox will surely be up there with Wii this holiday. PS3 isnt really as good as a software seller as xbox when it comes to shooters either. They cant do a price cut because it will only hurt them more then whats alreadying hurting them now. Its only big in Japan. It needs NA and EU on its side, doesnt seem like its happening. Hopefully Sony can get back on its feet financially but it hard for everyone in this economy.

The 360 isn't going to get anywhere near the Wii this holiday season. It simply doesn't have that kind of appeal. It takes a strong, standing library of games with universal appeal to move hardware, not just a few big name exclusives that just appeal to core and hardcore gamers.

As far as Sony cutting the price, it doesn't need to. Even if a price cut would guarantee that they'd outsell the 360 every week until the end of the generation, it wouldn't mean much because all they'd be doing is selling a little bit better than the distant second place console while still being decimated by the Wii. It's about time that people realized that there isn't really a plausible war between the PS3 and 360, and even winning wouldn't be worth it.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

gameman said:
I make these claims because the trends of the generation has already been set. Most people already know what they want. Most people dont live on the internet and have no idea what games come out even when they do. Most people just get what the word on the street is.

And the word on the street favors the Wii.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

WITH a ps3 price cut Wii will still steam roll over both consoles.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.