By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is in big trouble, what should they do?

I have said it before, and I will say it yet again. I sincerely doubt that Sony is actually competing in earnest anymore. They have seemingly moved from that towards a lets see if we can survive mentality. The situation changed, and they reevaluated their goals. You can see it in their press statements. No longer do you have bold spin, or promises of great things. They are beat and they know it, and further more they know they cannot do anything about it, and really do not want to do what it will take to make up the ground in the short term to lose ground in the long term.

Which leads me to the only thing that can or will work. They need to cannibalize their game studio. Sell off their teams, sell off their properties, and move to a subscription based online model. I know a lot of members go off on a tear about this, but this is the only way for Sony to get what it needs.

The reality throughout this generation has been that the PS3 has never been comparable to the 360, and will probably not be throughout this generation. No it is not just the price. The reality is that Microsoft is winning the software war as well. I am not ignoring Nintendo. I am just pointing out one bridge at a time. Sony simply must start to win the software war. It is actually less expensive to fight a war here. Then it would be to have hardware price reductions which will still not catch the thrifty.

There is a small window of opportunity for Sony winning in the short term on this front, but it would take real bold steps, and they would have to reconcile themselves to long term losses. What is called for is selling studios to bring in a quarter of a billion dollars. Then they would need to move that cash towards securing ten to twelve decent exclusives for their console. Then assure that the titles they purchased arrive in the January, February, and March next year. Then above all else make sure Microsoft doesn't know what they are doing.

That is what would work for Sony. Imagine Sony being the headline for three months. Every week being a new exclusive game for their platform. Marry that with a decent advertising campaign, and you have the public perception that the PS3 is coming back big time.

I know people will bitch about the thought of losing God of War, or Gran Tourismo especially to another console manufacturer, or of their best exclusives going to multiple platforms. Though I will say this right now it might help Sony get some momentum. Later it will be about cost cutting, and saving the gaming division. Eventually if the recession lingers Sony will demand that the Gaming division cover its own losses, and that means they will have to sell studios to cover costs. This when the market for that will be excruciatingly thin. Selling now might be the best bet for Sony. Especially if they have a good eye for content.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
I have said it before, and I will say it yet again. I sincerely doubt that Sony is actually competing in earnest anymore. They have seemingly moved from that towards a lets see if we can survive mentality. The situation changed, and they reevaluated their goals. You can see it in their press statements. No longer do you have bold spin, or promises of great things. They are beat and they know it, and further more they know they cannot do anything about it, and really do not want to do what it will take to make up the ground in the short term to lose ground in the long term.

Which leads me to the only thing that can or will work. They need to cannibalize their game studio. Sell off their teams, sell off their properties, and move to a subscription based online model. I know a lot of members go off on a tear about this, but this is the only way for Sony to get what it needs.

The reality throughout this generation has been that the PS3 has never been comparable to the 360, and will probably not be throughout this generation. No it is not just the price. The reality is that Microsoft is winning the software war as well. I am not ignoring Nintendo. I am just pointing out one bridge at a time. Sony simply must start to win the software war. It is actually less expensive to fight a war here. Then it would be to have hardware price reductions which will still not catch the thrifty.

There is a small window of opportunity for Sony winning in the short term on this front, but it would take real bold steps, and they would have to reconcile themselves to long term losses. What is called for is selling studios to bring in a quarter of a billion dollars. Then they would need to move that cash towards securing ten to twelve decent exclusives for their console. Then assure that the titles they purchased arrive in the January, February, and March next year. Then above all else make sure Microsoft doesn't know what they are doing.

That is what would work for Sony. Imagine Sony being the headline for three months. Every week being a new exclusive game for their platform. Marry that with a decent advertising campaign, and you have the public perception that the PS3 is coming back big time.

I know people will bitch about the thought of losing God of War, or Gran Tourismo especially to another console manufacturer, or of their best exclusives going to multiple platforms. Though I will say this right now it might help Sony get some momentum. Later it will be about cost cutting, and saving the gaming division. Eventually if the recession lingers Sony will demand that the Gaming division cover its own losses, and that means they will have to sell studios to cover costs. This when the market for that will be excruciatingly thin. Selling now might be the best bet for Sony. Especially if they have a good eye for content.

"Pure logic this is" so says Master Yoda.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Carl2291 said:
Focus on both.
Get the new Cell chip in PS3, (45nm i think, always forget).
Make a slim PS3, get colours on PS3, Use pricecut.

Plenty new games at E3.

This. If a slim PS3 came out the same time as Gran Turismo 5 with the new price of $299...oh boy, shit would go down. I'm talkin more PS3's sold then when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out for at least a few straight weeks.

PSP I don't really care. I guess drop the price. The biggest problems are piracy and lack of games anyways. They should just focus on LBP Portable and Gran Turismo Portable and things will look up. And its not like PSP is doing bad, its the best selling non-nintendo handheld ever. Its done what Sega, Nokia, and all the other companies couldn't do.

Stop making games? LoLz.

Sony already in "trouble" for like 2,5 years, so what?
M$ is in trouble for like... forever, so what?

What the point of this thread? Are you working for Sony? They will be fine.

More and more exclusive PS3 games will be coming, PS3 will continue to offer best value. That is what important.

NOONE will ignore 22 mln. PS3 userbase.
Yeah, bigger PS3 userbase = bigger software sales, BUT after some point the userbase stops affecting software sales that much.

PS3 and PSP will be fine.
299$ PS3 will kill competitors.
Till that pricecut, this thread is pointless.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
Stop making games? LoLz.

More and more exclusive PS3 games will be coming, PS3 will continue to offer best value. That is what important.

Yeah, bigger PS3 userbase = bigger software sales, BUT after some point the userbase stops affecting software sales that much.

i think this is true. but i dont know why this happens. too many casual gamers buying cheaper consoles maybe?

Around the Network

It has to start with Japan first and then Europe where they are strong (or at the same time).
Sony should focus their software from Japan and Europe. Release games that they want.
It has to start with Japan. No big JRPG? until now? The lack of support in Japan really hurt them. Japan is still important, Japan is still one of the largest market in the world. Look at the PSP right now, The PSP have been resurrected because of Japan. The games that are coming in the PSP are big and the PSP help Sony to lower the price of the PS2.

Price cut won't help them right now financially, it will help them in market shares but will hurt them in even more. They should focus on  making a profit first and do a price cut when they are ready.

Sony should advertise their games more. No matter how great your games are, if people doesn't  know about it. It's useless.

CrazzyMan said:
Stop making games? LoLz.

Their trouble is the massive losses they've been posting consistently. Doesn't matter if developers wanna keep making games for the PS3 if Sony get to the point where they can't afford to make them at a loss anymore.

Sony needs to do something and they need to do it by the middle of September. If Microsoft does indeed have a strong lineup for the second half of the year and they release new technology for the Xbox 360 it'll take more than a few games from Sony to make a difference. It'll take a price cut to not be completely overshadowed this holiday season.

- sell Kaz Hirai ass for the highest bidder,
- sell all their franchises to Uwe Boll so he can make movies out of them - he takes everything so it will be easy to make up for all those lost $,
- maybe they should start to think cause right now it would be best for them and it looks like so far thinking is the only thing they don't want to do(buying very short timed exclusivity of game from their own franchise in only one region, anyone?),

What should they do?: Read this forums because everyone here is a business major who knows how to run multi million dollar industries yeah!!!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?