By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is in big trouble, what should they do?

The 360 is only outselling the PS3 by 20-30K a week despite being half or even under half the price. So there's not much to panic about there, Sony shouldn't cut the PS3's price until Q4. As for the PSP, they should announce a new model and get some new big games on it as quickly as possible. Giving GT PSP a release date would be a good start. Maybe a price cut too so it can do well outside of Japan. That's all I can really think of.

Around the Network
The_God_of_War said:
The 360 is only outselling the PS3 by 20-30K a week despite being half or even under half the price. So there's not much to panic about there, Sony shouldn't cut the PS3's price until Q4. As for the PSP, they should announce a new model and get some new big games on it as quickly as possible. Giving GT PSP a release date would be a good start. Maybe a price cut too so it can do well outside of Japan. That's all I can really think of.

I agree with you.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

The_God_of_War said:

The Xbox360 is profitable, the PS3 not. The last red numbers for the EAD was because of R&D for Zune HD / Windows Mobile and low sales for Mac Office Software. I am pretty sure Gaming-division at Sony will post red numbers. I mean Nintendo reported a 42% decreased profit for this quarter from last year with the highly successful Wii and DS. I doubt Sony will post black numbers with the not successful PSP and PS3. But that is speculation at this point.

And I doubt software-sales for any PSP game outside Japan will have great sales. Piracy kills it. Don't know why there is less piracy in Japan though.

And please do not act like every Xbox360 is half the price of the PS3. You and I know that is not the case.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
The_God_of_War said:

The Xbox360 is profitable, the PS3 not. The last red numbers for the EAD was because of R&D for Zune HD / Windows Mobile and low sales for Mac Office Software. I am pretty sure Gaming-division at Sony will post red numbers. I mean Nintendo reported a 42% decreased profit for this quarter from last year with the highly successful Wii and DS. I doubt Sony will post black numbers with the not successful PSP and PS3. But that is speculation at this point.

And I doubt software-sales for any PSP game outside Japan will have great sales. Piracy kills it. Don't know why there is less piracy in Japan though.

And please do not act like every Xbox360 is half the price of the PS3. You and I know that is not the case.

I feel this anticipation, and the belief that it will not be corrected in the near term is the reason for the moving of sonys gaming arm into another division, similar to what MS does so that it can avoid stock holder scrutiny.  this will allow them to move it into the negative with a price cut if they feel they need to.   I wish they would not do this and that MS would move the gaming group out but sadly I am not paid to make these decisions 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

The_God_of_War said:

I agree with that. Make production cheaper at the same price.

But about the 360 sales thing, it's a cheaper console yes, but it's also profitable and it's also beating it. You might be able to argue effectively that those are the only reasons it's ahead right now, but at the end of the day 360 has a bigger install base and it's making a profit. This is where they should be concerned about, they should be at least better at one or even on at least one of the two, but they are behind on both.

Thanks for not using the "360 had a 1 year head start" gibberish by the way, it's refreshing to know people still have independent thoughts, especially 3 years later when people are still making that excuse.

Right now, Sony needs to focus on turning a profit, look at Nintendo, Successive generations of being down (N64 and Gamecube) hasn't hurt them because they've turned a profit on both. So long as Sony does that by the end of the gen (which it should), it'll do fine. Hopefully blu-ray and CELL will make developing the PS4 a much less costly venture.

Around the Network

Time for the weekly meeting of the "Fix sony's problems" focus-group I see...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Well... to start things off... DO NOT CUT PRICE

4 ≈ One

There's nothing I can think of, that Sony's high paid employees haven't thought of and dismissed a year and a half ago.

At this point, I say they should simply focus on making a profit, and keep their current base of fans loyal to them, with great games and a great customer service (which includes making a reliable hardware in the first place).

While the PS3 is infamous for its fanboys, those fanboys are the support base of each company, especially for companies such as Nintendo. There'll always be a swing group, and both Microsoft and Nintendo will make the same mistake as Sony, if they think that their current console owners will stay with them due to loyalty.

I'm not a big buff or an expert on this, but I think that the PS3 is finally starting break even. Although a price reduction could boost sales, I think it'll jeopardize Sony's chances of going into the next generation, and that the return will be too little. People simply don't know about the PS3's games or features nor do they care to research it, but will only learn about it with top notch marketing. Sony completely failed to do that, and they're not in a position to be able to get their own soda can for a game.

So they should try to do what any general does, which is to calm down, see what can and can't be done (no, the PS3 can't outsell the Wii this generation), then rally his routing troops, and come back strong the next battle.
===========================
I say they should use the current technology they have now (Cell and Bluray), and simply buff the hardware like the 360 has done. The 2 technologies will get cheaper, so they can avoid the $700 price tag fiasco.

They should keep building and supporting their 1'st party developers, by earning profit, reputation, and fans with each game. They should continue maintaining their relationships with the 2'nd party developers, and reach out a hand to as many as they can (especially "indie" developers with their promise to match the budget for PSN games). With all this, they have a plethora of games for launch, contrasting with the lackluster launch title list they had for the PS3.

They should keep improving the PSN, and if they are ever going to talk smack, talk smack that it is or will be as good as LIVE (and make sure they can truly back it up). If the PS4 ever turns out cheaper than the 720 (for argument's sake), then they can turn the tables and say that they are the cheaper choice, with a cheaper system and free online.

Finally they should create and save enough funds for a marketing blitzkrieg. They can't go halfway through like they did with Killzone 2. It has to be all or nothing, or no one will really remember with the short attention span they have when they're watching TV, relaxing from a hard day.

If not, then they better at least get a creative (the good kind of creative, no more crying babies), marketing team to make attention grabbing ads.

Akvod said:
At this point, I say they should simply focus on making a profit, and keep their current base of fans loyal to them, with great games and a great customer service (which includes making a reliable hardware in the first place).

While the PS3 is infamous for its fanboys, those fanboys are the support base of each company, especially for companies such as Nintendo. There'll always be a swing group, and both Microsoft and Nintendo will make the same mistake as Sony, if they think that their current console owners will stay with them due to loyalty.

I'm not a big buff or an expert on this, but I think that the PS3 is finally starting break even. Although a price reduction could boost sales, I think it'll jeopardize Sony's chances of going into the next generation, and that the return will be too little. People simply don't know about the PS3's games or features nor do they care to research it, but will only learn about it with top notch marketing. Sony completely failed to do that, and they're not in a position to be able to get their own soda can for a game.

So they should try to do what any general does, which is to calm down, see what can and can't be done (no, the PS3 can't outsell the Wii this generation), then rally his routing troops, and come back strong the next battle.
===========================
I say they should use the current technology they have now (Cell and Bluray), and simply buff the hardware like the 360 has done. The 2 technologies will get cheaper, so they can avoid the $700 price tag fiasco.

They should keep building and supporting their 1'st party developers, by earning profit, reputation, and fans with each game. They should continue maintaining their relationships with the 2'nd party developers, and reach out a hand to as many as they can (especially "indie" developers with their promise to match the budget for PSN games). With all this, they have a plethora of games for launch, contrasting with the lackluster launch title list they had for the PS3.

They should keep improving the PSN, and if they are ever going to talk smack, talk smack that it is or will be as good as LIVE (and make sure they can truly back it up). If the PS4 ever turns out cheaper than the 720 (for argument's sake), then they can turn the tables and say that they are the cheaper choice, with a cheaper system and free online.

Finally they should create and save enough funds for a marketing blitzkrieg. They can't go halfway through like they did with Killzone 2. It has to be all or nothing, or no one will really remember with the short attention span they have when they're watching TV, relaxing from a hard day.

If not, then they better at least get a creative (the good kind of creative, no more crying babies), marketing team to make attention grabbing ads.

wait wait wait .... you feel the 360 is just a buffed xbox? its a complete structural change that went so far as to change families of CPUs the moved from a flavor of x86 to a new flavor of custom PPC thats not buffing thats a radical change. it required a complete rewrite from the ground up of code, and if they wanted BC an emulator (MS bought an emulation company in 2001 that made software to run XP on Mac PPC machines). Your trivializing changes that you have no idea how hard they are to implement. or do you just see using the same media as last gen as lackadaisical on MS part.   if you want to bitch at MS at least do it where its deserved with the decision to make the HD a non required pice of hardware talk about a step back 

edit.... in retrospect I might have come off a bit harsh but it pisses me off when people trivialize moving from x86 to the superior power, and chip design of PPC 

stupid windows holding us back... sigh i wish apple had not gone for the money and stuck to PPC oh well thats an argument for another day 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog