Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's controllers will shake again

was just thinking...but its going to start all over again---no dude you got rumble last time we played motorstorm 2 let me have it this time



 

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Once they finally settled, they announced that they were working together to implement rumble.

So ummmmm, what?


Interesting; do you have a link to that information?

I just remember Sony being sued by some company supposedly owned in-part by Nintendo the last time they did rumbly stuff.

You need to find a new source or a buddy has been lying to you.

 

Immersion Corp sued Sony for patent infringement a few years ago because the technology in the DualShock 2 was too similar to the technology Immersion Corp owns the patents to. At this same time, they suded Microsoft. Microsoft settled the suit out of court and as part of the settlement bought 11% of the company shares (the number might be off now that I think about it but it's close).

Sony decided to fight the lawsuit in court and lost. Immersion Corp was awarded a $90+ million win over Sony. They then appealed the rulling twice and lost both. At this point MS sold off it's shares to Immersion Corp but still licenses the rumble technology from them.

Sony and Immersion Corp finally came to terms with how best to pay the $90 million and that's by adding Immerions Corps newest rumble based technology into the PS3 since Sony coudln't do it on their own which is the new rumble tech being discussed above (though itsounds exactly like old generation rumble and nothing new).

 

Nintendo was never sued by Immersion Corp because Nintendo developed and patented their won technology.

 


You misread my post. To clarify, what I heard at the time was that Nintendo owned part of Immersion hence why it wasn't sued... or something like that.

Let's see what I can dig up on it...

Edit: Seems fishy...

Quote Victor Viegas (CEO of Immersion): "We never analysed Nintendo products.” Is the more-than surprising answer offered. “There is, I believe, a difference in the technologies used but we never investigated those of Nintendo.”

Link to quote

No, I read your post correctly and I explained that Nintendo was not a part owner of Immersion but Microsoft at one point was and as I stated, Nintendo was not sued because they own the patents to their technology unlike MS and Sony.

 



The rEVOLution is not being televised

rocketpig said:
Kratos said:
Well, how did they introduce the dual shock in PS controller, because first it was a controller without rumble? Does anyone have ideas on that?

 


You went and bought a new controller at full price.


 *Hugs N64 controller*

 The lawsuit with Sony was stupid, but the controller didn't change.

 

Prepare for a flurry of "Only works with Dualshock 3!" Games to come out soon... 



There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I knew it, which is exactly why I said that the people buying the european bundles were getting screwed.
The second controller in these bundles is just to empty stocks, while you don't get the benefit of the new one. The games are to "artificially" inflate some games sales. Well done Sony, but I won't be fooled.
500 € or no buy. And I will surely get one of these new controllers with rumble in time.



Viper1 said:

No, I read your post correctly and I explained that Nintendo was not a part owner of Immersion but Microsoft at one point was and as I stated, Nintendo was not sued because they own the patents to their technology unlike MS and Sony.

Apparently.  I'm still a little curious about Immersion not investigating... Ah well.



Around the Network
mesoteto said:
its about time--i think its still funny "rumble is so last gen"--sure sure you keep telling your self that but see what the fans really want

 most fans dont give a rats ass.  It was mostly wii60 kids whining on the forums.

Now some new rumble thats in side the individial analog stick would be cool.



Hus said:
mesoteto said:
its about time--i think its still funny "rumble is so last gen"--sure sure you keep telling your self that but see what the fans really want

 most fans dont give a rats ass.  It was mostly wii60 kids whining on the forums.

Now some new rumble thats in side the individial analog stick would be cool.


So in otherwords only Wii60 fanboys care about the features the PS3 doesn't have but the second it gets them you're more than willing to share that enthusiasm?

That's good that they decided to put the rumble back. I wonder if the new controllers are going to have replacable batteries. The rumble will surely kill the batteries faster.



Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Onimusha12 said:
Hus said:
mesoteto said:
its about time--i think its still funny "rumble is so last gen"--sure sure you keep telling your self that but see what the fans really want

most fans dont give a rats ass. It was mostly wii60 kids whining on the forums.

Now some new rumble thats in side the individial analog stick would be cool.


 

So in otherwords only Wii60 fanboys care about the features the PS3 doesn't have but the second it gets them you're more than willing to share that enthusiasm?

 Learn to read, NEW type of rumble iam cool with.  But the same old rumble is useless to me.

 

 



I remember when the "rumble pack" on the 64 was so huge that it made the controller back heavy. I somehow remember a video clip of 64 ads that came on a disc, where they talked about upcoming games, and more importantly about how the rumble pack made games "actually shake" It showed a dialogue between two teens where they were enthused for the new feature, and how it would be used in games like Starfox.
Without the rumble in the PS contollers now, they feel front heavy again, since the handles are hollow.
There have been times when I am careless, when I will go to pick up the controller and it will slip out of my hands simply because I expect the weight to distribute itslef evenly and it doesn't.
In addition to adding rumble and possibly the touch sense tech, I am sure they will atleast add the 5th LED which was cut out initially.



̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.