By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's controllers will shake again

Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Once they finally settled, they announced that they were working together to implement rumble.

So ummmmm, what?

Interesting; do you have a link to that information?

I just remember Sony being sued by some company supposedly owned in-part by Nintendo the last time they did rumbly stuff.

You need to find a new source or a buddy has been lying to you.

Immersion Corp sued Sony for patent infringement a few years ago because the technology in the DualShock 2 was too similar to the technology Immersion Corp owns the patents to. At this same time, they suded Microsoft. Microsoft settled the suit out of court and as part of the settlement bought 11% of the company shares (the number might be off now that I think about it but it's close).

Sony decided to fight the lawsuit in court and lost. Immersion Corp was awarded a $90+ million win over Sony. They then appealed the rulling twice and lost both. At this point MS sold off it's shares to Immersion Corp but still licenses the rumble technology from them.

Sony and Immersion Corp finally came to terms with how best to pay the $90 million and that's by adding Immerions Corps newest rumble based technology into the PS3 since Sony coudln't do it on their own which is the new rumble tech being discussed above (though itsounds exactly like old generation rumble and nothing new).

Nintendo was never sued by Immersion Corp because Nintendo developed and patented their won technology.

You misread my post. To clarify, what I heard at the time was that Nintendo owned part of Immersion hence why it wasn't sued... or something like that.

Let's see what I can dig up on it...

Edit: Seems fishy...

Quote Victor Viegas (CEO of Immersion): "We never analysed Nintendo products.” Is the more-than surprising answer offered. “There is, I believe, a difference in the technologies used but we never investigated those of Nintendo.”

Link to quote

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
I thought PS3 owners were glad to be rid of the rumble reature?

no, you probably read someone who didnt care about rumble and extrapolated that upon the entire PS3 community like a fool.

I wonder if they are going to implement Immersion's new rumble technology.

On Microsoft's deal with Immersion, Immersion settled with a contract with Microsoft saying w/e Immersion got from Sony in the lawsuit they would receive it. Immersion went against the contract and settled below what Microsoft's contract wanted so Microsoft is suing saying Immersion breeched contract by settling for under $100 million.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

either way its one of those percs to gammin and i am glad my (non nin bashing) sony friends can get the rumble on

Frankly I never cared for rumble.. its more annoying, if I ever had my mouse shake while in the middle of one of my CAL matches I would have sued Logitech for putting rumble into the mouse.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

Thanks for making me buy a new controller, Sony.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

definitely good news for ps3 owners... i for one love rumble in games (if implemented correctly, which i haven't really had any problems with thus far)

I never missed the rumble. I have been wanting it back thoguh, just so fanboys can stop bitching. Now it seems they're bitching because it's back. Wtf.

@Rocketpig

Well my brother and I actually dicussed this matter, and we came up with an idea that Sony could let people with six-axis return the controller and then only have to pay 5 or 10 bucks extra, to get rumble controller.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Kratos said:
@Rocketpig

Well my brother and I actually dicussed this matter, and we came up with an idea that Sony could let people with six-axis return the controller and then only have to pay 5 or 10 bucks extra, to get rumble controller.

or else you could just not care about rumble and save you money for games.