By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Quantity does not equal quality

starcraft said:
Quantity has a tangible effect on Quality, and yet Quality is made up of a vast number attributes.

To someone who likes motion control whether it's well applied or not, the Wii is the highest quality console.

To someone who like media playback the most, the PS3 is the highest quality console.

To someone who likes high-quality games libraries the most, the Xbox 360 is easily the highest quality console.

It is all a question of attribute preference.

This is a very messed up post. 

You just successfully realised that quality is subjective, that is true. 

After that, you ruined your statement with calling the xbox games the highest quality, without reasoning, because you think so.

Of course everyone buys consoles to play games, and naturally they try to buy the console that has the highest quality games, since it is the highest quality console FOR THEM. 

For example, it is not the sole fact of having motion controls that makes the Wii "quality" for some(49.5 million) people out there, but the overall feeling of enjoying Wii games more than other games.  

Around the Network

My question would be: are a few quality games enough on Wii?

The Wii "haters" talk a lot about the lack of quality games on Wii, speaking of QUANTITY, and using Metacritic to prove their point... but trust me, an old-school Nintendo gamer knows a quality game when he sees one...

So with my experience on my Top 20 favourite Wii games, here's the result: my estimated playtime...

Super Mario Galaxy: 40 hours +
Twilight Princess: 60 hours +
Metroid Prime 3: 40 hours +
Mario Kart Wii: 50 hours +
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 50 hours +
Little King's Story: 30 hours +
Disaster Day of Crisis: 10 hours +
Wii Sports: 30 hours +
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn: 30 hours +
Okami: 40 hours +
Resident Evil 4: 10 hours+
No More Heroes: 10 hours +
Zack and Wiki: 10 hours +
De Blob: 10 hours +
Super Paper Mario: 20 hours +
Wii Play: 10 hours +
Boom Blox: 10 hours +
Excite Truck: 20 hours +
Wario Land Shake: 10 hours +
Wii Fit: 20 hours +

There are many others, but if i stick with these: an estimated budget of 1100 euros, hardware and software included... for way more than 500 hours of gameplay... huge, isn't it?

The question is not only 'do i need more?"

It's also "could i afford many more?"

And also: "WHO could afford many more?". I'm speaking of both the budget, and the playtime...

So, is "quality" enough? On Wii (plus DS for me!), all i can say is yes, 10 times yes!

I'm a 40 old man with "normal" revenue and "normal" free time for gaming... and you want me to believe some teenage kids with no revenue at all still are unsatisfied?

I think they should get a life and play more, instead of criticizing a console they don't own all over the net, just as it's one of their favourite "game" ever, with lots and lots of "playtime"... for free!

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

68soul said:

The Wii "haters" talk a lot about the lack of quality games on Wii, speaking of QUANTITY, and using Metacritic to prove their point... but trust me, an old-school Nintendo gamer knows a quality game when he sees one...

If you weren't such an oldschool ninty-fan, your view of quality game could be a bit different.. but hey, each to his own.

i'll edit the statement...

metacritic does not equal quality.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

PS3beats360 said:

So the Wii and XBox 360 are in well front of PS3 in terms of console sales due to their lower sales price. Ok. But how do the Wii and XBox 360 measure up to the PS3 in terms of quality of games, console and online? I want you to argue for or against the notion: "Quantity does not equal quality".

*Edited.

LoL, it's ironic

Ps3 is expensive but it doens't mean it's good

about software, i personally prefer Wii software, it's just taste

for me, Ps3 games is the same with Ps2 with better graphics, Wii games are revolutionary

if 50% of Ps3 games are great and Ps3 has 100 games  50 great games, if only 10% of 500 Wii games are great, we still have 50 great games let's say, nobody forced you to buy the 90%

the number of great games is about the same on all 3 consoles for me (i play both core and casual games)

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Esa-Petteri said:
68soul said:

If you weren't such an oldschool ninty-fan, your view of quality game could be a bit different.. but hey, each to his own.

To each his own, as you said... i play for more than 30 years now, and Wii has given me some of the best times in gaming i've ever had... of course, i'd like more quality RPGs and action/adventures on my Wii, as these are my favourite genres... but after now 2 and a half years, i think Wii's library is already awesome, and will still get better and better with time...

So, with my "personal tastes", do i need PS360? No...

Do i miss some quality games? Sure, just as usual for the past 20 years... but hey, there are so many enjoyable records, books, and movies i'll miss: can't have everything in this life... "just be thankful for what you've got", as heard in an old song i loved...

But with all the great games available on Wii, DS, PS3, X360, PS2, PSP, PC... plus WiiWare, Virtual Console, XBLA, Playstation Store... how can anyone complain about any lack of BOTH quantity and quality???

These are the best times in gaming EVER, you have plenty of awesome new games, plus nearly all the classics made in the past 20 years easily available: the people who whine should get a life, and play their favourite(s) console(s) instead, that's all there is to say about it...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

applies well for elite bundle