By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Forecasts Miss Estimates as Wii Sales Slow

mikescoff said:
Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:

You also have to factor in last years supply constraints which are no longer an issue. It's questionable whether Nintendo will be able to deliver even higher sales during the 2010 year than they have in 2008 and 2009 without a price cut (even if they do end up selling better in 09 than 08). Either this year or next year sales will end up falling and necessatating a price cut and at that point the logevity of Nintendo's success will come into question. In the coming year or two the controversial assertion that the Wii is a fad will be answered by either growing sales or a price cut.

I think I just blew a few logical fuses in my brain.  Pardon me while I go replace them.

Most people DO expect a price cut either this year or next year. If that does happen than it calls into question the Wii's longevity as a long term brand rather than a product with temporary appeal riding off the heals of media attention.

Are you kidding me?  A price cut 3-4 years post launch determines whether Wii is a fad or not? 

How far back is that goal post now?  The parking lot?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:
Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:

You also have to factor in last years supply constraints which are no longer an issue. It's questionable whether Nintendo will be able to deliver even higher sales during the 2010 year than they have in 2008 and 2009 without a price cut (even if they do end up selling better in 09 than 08). Either this year or next year sales will end up falling and necessatating a price cut and at that point the logevity of Nintendo's success will come into question. In the coming year or two the controversial assertion that the Wii is a fad will be answered by either growing sales or a price cut.

I think I just blew a few logical fuses in my brain.  Pardon me while I go replace them.

Most people DO expect a price cut either this year or next year. If that does happen than it calls into question the Wii's longevity as a long term brand rather than a product with temporary appeal riding off the heals of media attention.

Are you kidding me?  A price cut 3-4 years post launch determines whether Wii is a fad or not? 

Selling a lot does not automatically discount a product as a fad. A notable example would be the Furby craze in the late 90's. They sold millions for years but the brand ended up dying off and now nobody cares about them.

Forget it Viper, there's no point.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

mikescoff said:
Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:
Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:

Selling a lot does not automatically discount a product as a fad. A notable example would be the Furby craze in the late 90's. They sold millions for years but the brand ended up dying off and now nobody cares about them.

People don't continue to purchase software for fads.  The whole notion that Wii is or ever was a fad fails upon the definition itself.  

Nor does price, or the reduction of, determine fad status.   That's a ridiculous conclusion that I can only imagine stemming from the satirical minds of the SDF.

You have 28 posts here and none of them evoke any semblence of logic or reason.

Arius Dion said:
Looking forward to Sony and M$'s reports.

Microsoft's report already came out (the Entertainment division was unprofitable, mostly due to things other than the 360 apparently). Sony's report comes in a week.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Oh yeah, that's right. There report was still no where near as rosy as Nintendo's. I don't see how people are trying to cast this report as a negative.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

A price drop would however indicate falling sales and popularity which imo would call into question the longevity of the wii

mikescoff said:
A price drop would however indicate falling sales and popularity which imo would call into question the longevity of the wii

Then by your logic the Xbox360 is a fad because it had several price cuts and never outsell the wii?

Dude that "wii is a fad" thing was PATHETIC on 2007 and it is PATHETIC now.

Find another excuse because that one is pretty much old and USELESS.

mikescoff said:

You question the longevity of the Wii based on the fact that by year 3-4 it might get a price cut?   No console in history has ever gone this logn without warranting a price cut yet you question the longevity of the Wii?   

I cannot believe you are looking at this so completely backwards.   The volume of time before a price cut is a good measure of longevity.   Therefore the Wii is destined to have a very extensive longevity.

Arious, I should leave it be but sometimes it's fun to see a person be thought a fool, continue to speak and remove all doubt.

Viper1 said:
mikescoff said:

You question the longevity of the Wii based on the fact that by year 3-4 it might get a price cut?   No console in history has ever gone this logn without warranting a price cut yet you question the longevity of the Wii?   

I cannot believe you are looking at this so completely backwards.   The volume of time before a price cut is a good measure of longevity.   Therefore the Wii is destined to have a very extensive longevity.

Viper, you forgot the most crucial mistake in his post (bolded). I would think that by any way imaginable, falling sales would indicate a pricedrop, and not the other way around. Especially since we actually have the weekly sales on this site, together with YoY and WoW analysis.

This is invisible text!