By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Forecasts Miss Estimates as Wii Sales Slow

Exchange rate loss of 133.9 billion Yen = $1.352 billion USD / €1.009 billion Euros / £898 million Pounds.

Any company that can take a $1.352 billion dollar exchange loss and still post $5.5 billion in operating profit and $2.8 billion in net income should not be given such a negative overview. Period.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
The title of the article is very misleading... the only place where Wii sales are slowing is in Japan, and the article doesn't provide any new information on that.

Actually wii sales have fallen in the US and EU the past several weeks as well. It's market share is also falling due to a mix of lower sales of the wii and higher sales of the hd twins.

MS is making money at the moment. The divison was in the red, because of slow Zune-sales, R&D for Zune HD, Windows Mobile Update and most of all slow sales of Mac Office.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

mikescoff said:
NJ5 said:
The title of the article is very misleading... the only place where Wii sales are slowing is in Japan, and the article doesn't provide any new information on that.

Actually wii sales have fallen in the US and EU the past several weeks as well. It's market share is also falling due to a mix of lower sales of the wii and higher sales of the hd twins.

But the article doesn't talk about that, and I don't think bloomberg has ever referred to VGChartz data.

So I think they're referring to Japan, without mentioning it, which is misleading. Analysts and Nintendo are forecasting higher sales this year according to the article itself.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

kowenicki said:
it cant be ignored that the wii sales will be lower this year. but its still printing money

2008 up to May 3:

2009 up to May 2:

Why expect it to be lower?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

So, if Nintendo isn't optimistic about overseas sales, should Sony and MS resort to cutting themselves in depression? ;)

In interesting correlation, the same people also posted this today -

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aW3oK_AQU2M0&refer=japan

Nintendo Projects Higher Profit, Helped by Weaker Yen (Update1)

I guess in the fall and with some solid games this will change.

kowenicki said:
@viper

because the trend is now downwards.

Looking at a few weeks of sales data is always questionable. In the next few months it could easily be up due to a different software release schedule than last year.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
kowenicki said:
@viper

Looking at a few weeks of sales data is always questionable. In the next few months it could easily be up due to a different software release schedule than last year.

Exactly. If I recall correctly the April period last year is when Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit came out in Europe.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

kowenicki said:
@viper

Yes but this is out of context.  If you are talking YOY then you are comparing this year with no major releases to last year where there were several huge releases in the second quarter for the Wii.  If you are talking compared to earlier in the year what does that actually mean?  The Wii sold more than a million fewer systems in the 3rd quarter last year than they did in the 2nd quarter.  That represents a far more significant downward trend than we have seen so far this year, yet they went on to have the biggest holiday season for a home console ever.  The software will come and sales will pick up again.  Last year the Wii had an unusually big second quarter, this year, it wil be the third quarter instead, mark my words.