By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's (hard)core games outsell 360s/PS3s

Voltaire said:
Why are people constantly bringing up the 'Install base is huge so 'X' game should have sold better'? The install base isnt as important as youd think. Remember Okami? Released when the PS2 had over 100 million units sold. The game has sold better on Wii.

Install base is only unimportant if the install base has largely stopped buying games. Have you stopped buying games for the console(s) you own?

If yes, and you are representative of a majority of console owners then you have a point. If no, and like you console owners are still buying games then your observation has little merit.

No I don't remember Okami, but I have looked it up on this site just now. I suggest to you that by the time Okami was released on PS2 most of the 100 million owners were no longer very active in the new game purchasing market, and the current owners were being more choosey about their new game purchases, compared to earlier years in the PS2's lifecycle. In any case, Okami is not a very good example: unless you are getting your sales information from a source other than VGChartz, there are huge gaps in the sales data for both the Wii and PS2 versions. The buying pattern of console owners one year out from the next gen console being released is possibly very different from the buying pattern of console owners one or 2 year into the life of a next gen console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
  1. Metroid - 1.52  

I fixed your list so it resembles the thread title.

LOL. This...

Well actually Zelda too.

disolitude said:
KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
  1. Metroid - 1.52  

LOL. This...

Well actually Zelda too.

Lol @ Zelda and Metroid being HARDCORZE.

Core definitely. Hardcorz, hardly.

Isn't it amazing that Nintendo's classic franchises alone toast the combined efforts from Microsoft, Sony, Activision, EA, Take2 et al. Include Nintendo's newer titles and it's easy to see why Nintendo is the King of gaming.

As for story based games, buy a book. Nintendo is about gameplay not pretty looking, fairy tales.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

to call WarioWare, Mario Party and even AC 'hardcore' games is simply a kick in the balls for every hardcore fans in the world.

I see the desperate attempt and making Wii seem "hardcore friendly", but this attempt is just as weak as Nintendo claiming "Wii music" is 'core'

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Pyro as Bill said:

This isn't another argument about the definition of hardcore so before I start I'll clarify my definition of (hard)core. I don't mean TBAG games (Tits, Blood And Gore), my definition is pretty much the same as Nintendo's ie core games, Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. I'm not including Wii Sports or Wii Fit or any other "casual" games that sold millions, I'm only going to include the top 10 games that people knew about and played before the Wii came along, the non-expanded audience if you will.

For 360 and PS3 I'll just use the top 10 sellers instead of taking out any "casual" games.

1. MKart  - 15.84  
  2. SSBB - 8.59  
  3. SMG - 8.11  
  4. MarioParty8 - 6.53  This is hardly hardcore.
  5. ZeldaTP - 5.28  
  6. Animal Cross. - 2.99 
  7. PaperMario - 2.76  
  8. Warioware - 2.22  Not hardcore- WarioWare never has been.
  9. Mario strikers - 1.96  This being hardcore is a stretch.
  10. Metroid - 1.52  

Total = 55.8M       360 Top10 = 55.61M     PS3 = 34.94M

So what's my point?

My point is that even without Nintendo's new "casual" games it appears that Nintendo classics are more popular than the 10 best selling games on 360 or PS3. I was suprised by how well Nintendo's latest iterations had sold. It also appears that their are more core/old school gamers on the Wii than 360 or PS3 or maybe Nintendo's core buy more games.

I'm sure someone will mention that the combined core audience of 360/PS3 is greater than Wii. I'd just like to point out that the 360 had a 1yr head start and I could have included Duck Hunt at 23M.

And by the way, the Wii has a massive userbase advantage over the other two consoles.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Core not hardcore, remember.

No such thing as "hardcore".

I know the Wii has a bigger TOTAL (new and old gamers) userbase but the Wii's old school/core/"hardcore"/fanboys/classic userbase is still bigger than either HD console.

I might do this again but only with exclusives this time, that should be fun.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Jo21 said:
mario party, mario strikers and animal crossing are hardcore?

since when?

Their casual?  Since when?

Also lol at the term "hardcore."

KylieDog said:
Pyro as Bill said:
  1. Metroid - 1.52  

You forgot many, my friend, but as one once said: "Ignorance is bliss" (if I say any more, I might get marked for trolling or flaming).

And I lol at all the anti-Nintendo peole denying what is hardcore and not.  Again as I said in the above post, a desperate attempt to try and put down titles that aren't on their systems.  Rather pathetic, but oh well, that's life =).

If you guys start cancelling out some of Nintendo's hardcore games(the OPs definition is games that were played only by people who played games b4 the wii came along),then you'd have 2 do the same for Sony & MS.Now,rewrite that list that way and see it'll only be worse for you.Saying Warioware isn't hardcore is like saying Guitar Hero isn't hardcore.....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Just bcuz casual people might like it also doesn't mean its not hardcore.I mean,look @ Mario Kart,Little Big Planet,The Sims and Super Mario Bros.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs