By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When does "Hyping" become "Over-hyping?"

In my opinion, it's possible to argue that the term "over-hyping" is being thrown around and it only suspiciously seems to refer to exclusive for consoles, rarely against Multies.

I heard the term in reference to Killzone 2, Madworld and LBP  it's now being used in reference to The Conduit, MAG, InFamous and ODST.

My question is, when does a game "graduate" from regular hype to "over-hype."

Now I admit, as a Sony fan, I most of the time stay in the Sony Forums ocassionally coming here so I have no real means to disprove that 360/Nintendo games are being "over-hyped" (feel free to help out)

But from the Sony threads I would often see threads/comments/sigs stating "________ will be huge!!!"

Way I see it, that's no different to saying ______ will be amazing/impressive/awesome etc etc.

But then you get individuals jumping to the offense to say, people are "over-hyping" said game.

From my experience, folks who expect Game X to sell 1 million in 10seconds tend to be the ones desperate to see "Game X" fail because when it doesn't sell 10million in 10 seconds they tend to wave the "I told you so" flag and demand a "lol-parade" at the game that failed to sell 100million in 10seconds.

Right now from my perspective, the "in" thing is to say Infamous/Conduit/ODST is over-hyped, but all I see are people (9 times out of 10 anyway) saying this game is looking good or I'm interested in playing it.

So in with that in mind, I'm wondering exactly what the criteria is that bumps regular hype to "over-hype".

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

over hyping is usually when a game is hyped beyond its actual delivery.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

When fanboys want to say a game that many are looking forward to sucks, they say the game is over-hyped.

OR

Killzone 2

either way :P

When stuff like this happens...

any time it isn't on your favorite console.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I agree with Carl

Skeeuk said:
over hyping is usually when a game is hyped beyond its actual delivery.

If that's the case, how can MAG, InFamous be over-hyped when no one has played them?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Carl2291 said:

When stuff like this happens...

Say what you will but this is probably my all time favorite commercial !

Over-hyping, as said before, is just when hype gets completely out of control, to the point where the game in question absolutely cannot deliver. This occurred for GTAIV and Halo 3, as well as possibly for Red Steel, and definitely for LBP and Killzone 2

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

@ hatmoza.
That goes to prove even more Halo3 overhype

And Compare the Meerkat > Ay other ad... ever!