By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I correct to think that DS has outsold total PS1 sales?

Slimebeast said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Slimebeast said:
I dont think it's fair to compare a handheld with a console. I would count each DS as a ½ console if I was to make a comparison for some reason.

Why? It has sold equally much software (well, will), and it will definitely make more money.

But from a revenue perspective handhelds are a lot cheaper and thereby easier for people to purchase.

I dunno, for some reason I ignore handhelds sales almost completely. It's as if they don't count, in my world.

dam you are totaly right...we must start count each ps3 as 2 wii.. -_-

Around the Network

@Halo_John: Yes the PS2 has sold far more than the Wii however Wii is selling much faster than the PS2 did and has taken a little over 2 years to get to over a third of the sales of the PS2 which has been selling for 8/9 years.

DS will become the highest selling system ever by late this year or early next year. Quite impressive, so many people brushed it off as a future failure back before it's launch.. Well done DS

Within the next 2 weeks, it will be certain.

4 ≈ One

Bitmap Frogs said:
Kantor said:
According to VGC,

PS1 = 102.49 million
DS = 102.12 million

Not yet, but by the end of next week, it will officially be the third best selling video game system of all time (GameBoy is at 118.69 million, PS2 is a moving target at 124.74 million)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1129&region=All

Note: I am using shipment numbers for PS1 and GB, because VGC doesn't have sales data that far back.

It will catch both.

Without a doubt. It even has the potential to beat both and become the best selling video game system of all time by the end of this year.

Congratulations to Nintendo.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

wow, ps1 that is a bit far to way behind, but ps2 rocks!!!

Around the Network
Nintendogamer said:

Since I've seen nothing mentioned about this case before I thought I could share my curiosity. 

I'm pretty sure the DS sales has surpassed PS1 sales which was roughly 102 Million, and look the DS has passed 102 million now so it's possible that DS has outsold another gaming machine.

Did anyone on this site really expect that it wouldn't?  Don't get me wrong, it's an accomplishment..but it's not that major.  It's a handheld vs a console, and a completely different time.  Gaming has changed..almost everyone thinks the Wii will outsell the PS2, and considering the lead on the Wii and the life expectancy of the DS, it'll outsell the PS2 even in no time.

Kantor said:
According to VGC,

PS1 = 102.49 million
DS = 102.12 million

Not yet, but by the end of next week, it will officially be the third best selling video game system of all time (GameBoy is at 118.69 million, PS2 is a moving target at 124.74 million)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1129&region=All

Note: I am using shipment numbers for PS1 and GB, because VGC doesn't have sales data that far back.

Gameboy is not an individual system! There's the original Gameboy and it's spins offs (pocket, etc) and the gameboy color! There are a number of GBC games that are NOT backwards compatable with the other GB systems thus it is not just a remodelling of the original gameboy, it is a completely different system, as is the ps2 to the ps1. If you substract the GBC sales from the total you end up with about half and half for the black and white vs the color lines, making the ps1 the number two highest selling single cnsole of all time.

Slimebeast said:
I dont think it's fair to compare a handheld with a console. I would count each DS as a ½ console if I was to make a comparison for some reason.

And how many other handhelds have surpassed PS1 lifetime sales?  One, GameBoy.  So, I'm not sure how you dismiss this as insignificant.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Slimebeast said:

Play Me

smbu2000 said:
Slimebeast said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Slimebeast said:

Why? It has sold equally much software (well, will), and it will definitely make more money.

But from a revenue perspective handhelds are a lot cheaper and thereby easier for people to purchase.

I dunno, for some reason I ignore handhelds sales almost completely. It's as if they don't count, in my world.

They may make less revenue, but then again they also cost less to produce as well and revenue does not equal profit. For example, comparing the PS3 to the PSP. Let's say they both sold the exact same amount of systems for the week. The PS3 costs several times what a PSP costs, so the PS3 would have a really high revenue; however, the PSP makes more profit for Sony than the PS3. Even though the PS3 has a higher "revenue", the profits from the PSP are greater. Does that really seem like "half a console" to you?

I think the key here is that with handhelds, you tend to have multiple/household as opposed to home consoles. this gives them the "unfair" advantage I think slimebeast is trying to explain.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler