By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Homosexuality In Games?

I wanted to find an article about it but i couldn't. Hearing about the Bioware thing that is going on now, I thought i would pose the question.

Are people ready for a gay main character? I don't mean lesbians, because we all know most straight guys wouldn't mind it.

Here are some examples of games that have gay characters:

Valkyria Chronicles

Fable I/II

Jade Empire

KOTOR (I can't remember if there was one in the second)

Deus Ex

Persona 4

Enchanted Arms

GTA4

Fear Effect 2

Fallout

Mass Effect

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

Chrono Trigger

Metal Gear Solid 2/3/4

I'm sure there are some i am missing but thats all i can think of now.

So are people ready? I'm not saying the main character has to be overtly gay. I don't mean a stereotype. I mean a regular guy, who has an epic backstory and epic quest, but is gay. Would you play the game if it was that EPIC?

I don't want to make people mad or anything, i'm sure i will with this statement, but i have seen people say Marcus Fenix of Gears could be gay. I have never played the game so you will have to enlighten me.

Would find Nathans sense of humor less funny in Uncharted if Nathan Drake was a "guys man" instead of a "ladies man?"

If in Dead Space instead of Isaac Clarke was going after his boyfriend instead of his girlfriend would you have liked it less?

Edit: Added more games

Around the Network

Nathan Drake is too hot to be straight .. so I thought he was already gay?

we already had lesbian main characters in fear effect 1&2, i would still enjoy the game if the main character is gay, as long as the story and gameplay can entertain me.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

I really don't care as long as the game is great

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I don't really care about sexuality in games on its own.

It's when they make sexuality the "main thing" or most notable feature of a character that it feels shallow and annoying.

Also, I really enjoyed the mature way Jade Empire handled it.

Around the Network

somebody xplain Marcus Fenix being gay plz!!!......and we been playing with gay charcters already - Cloud and Zack Sephiroth is one group of lovers, Magna Carta guy, Roxis and the red haired guy, Sora and Riku, just because they didnt doesn't mean there not gay

Words Of Wisdom said:

It's when they make sexuality the "main thing" or most notable feature of a character that it feels shallow and annoying.

Who was gay in Jade Empire? I didn't even notice...

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Who was gay in Jade Empire? I didn't even notice...

The main character has a very wide variety of romance options both heterosexual and homosexual.

Fire Emblem 7 deals with the question of homosexuality and incest, though not in an explicit way.

I'd prefer that homosexuality be a facet of a character, rather than their only identifying feature. Being gay doesn't mean that that defines your entire character.

seece said:
Nathan Drake is too hot to be straight .. so I thought he was already gay?

No, he's not!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.