By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas 360 hardware sales in Halo 3 launch week: How high will they get?

I have Xbox 360 selling ~100k in the Americas during Halo 3 launch week (the week ending Sept 29).  The game will probably sell 1.8 to 2.25 million units in week one, which would mean that at least for now, people who buy the game already own an Xbox 360.  However, I think 360 sales are going to stabilize at around 75k/week for the rest of the year in the Americas on the price drops/content, meaning that Halo 3 will prevent sales from dipping down as low as they had been for months on end.

I'm expecting something like a 75k-85k-105k-90k set up for the next four weeks for Xbox 360, which may put it ahead of Wii during Halo 3 launch (in the Americas).

In Europe/Australia/Others I expect a 2x boost in the UK/Ireland/Australia...and a 1.5x boost for the rest of the non-America/non-Japan world.

So...(1/3)(2)+(3/2)(2/3) ~ 1.6x stronger sales in Others ~ (5/3)(40k) ~ 67k in Others?  Maybe 8k in Japan for launch.

so...180k is my maximum for Xbox 360 sales worldwide during Halo 3 launch.  What do you guys see?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Edit: Also source, are you sure so many people who want halo already have it, i know its more then people think, but i have a few friends who have been holding out for getting 360 till either halo 3 and or tech issues fixed

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

How high were they for the xbox when halo or h2 hit ?

Not to much higher Hus, all consoles recieved a boost, with xbox taking the most.

I think it will have higher boost, since all the halo fans def already had a xbox, but only slightly. It really matters how much hype this game gets, i know quite a few friends who are buying a 360, cause you know how some American teens are, they want gears of war, bioshock, and halo 3 O.o

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

67K others ?? whats regions are covered by others.
Is Halo 3 getting the Jap. treatment @ launch ??

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

I don't get why you think the 360 is going to sell far less than last year. It's lineup this year is arguably stronger (Halo 3 > Gears of War, then there's Mass Effect, etc) and it's had a price break.  For example if you think sales will stabilize at 75,000/week then it'll sell about 27% of what it did in December 06 (1.1 million), hell by the 75,000 per week prediction December 06 will have outsold October, November, and December of 2007 combined.  I just don't see that coming true.

Legend11 said:
I don't get why you think the 360 is going to sell far less than last year. It's lineup this year is arguably stronger (Halo 3 > Gears of War, then there's Mass Effect, etc) and it's had a price break.  For example if you think sales will stabilize at 75,000/week then it'll sell about 27% of what it did in December 06 (1.1 million).

I dont think hes including christmas, only the weeks after halo, leading up to holidays

Lost tears of Kain said:
Legend11 said:
I don't get why you think the 360 is going to sell far less than last year. It's lineup this year is arguably stronger (Halo 3 > Gears of War, then there's Mass Effect, etc) and it's had a price break.  For example if you think sales will stabilize at 75,000/week then it'll sell about 27% of what it did in December 06 (1.1 million).

I dont think hes including christmas, only the weeks after halo, leading up to holidays

He said 75,000 per week for the rest of the year in the Americas..  I assume he's including Christmas.

On another note when Halo 2 was released in November 2004 sales of the original Xbox increased by almost 500,000 over October (NPD has Oct 2004 sales at 217,000 and Nov 2004 at 708,000).  I realize a significant part of that would be because it's the month of November but Halo 2 likely had some affect on sales for sales to be over triple what they were the previous month.

I also don't get where the 100,000 number comes from, did Microsoft or a retail store do a survey from preorders to see what percentage of them were from people who did not already own a 360 console?

I also don't get this comment: "I think 360 sales are going to stabilize at around 75k/week for the rest of the year in the Americas on the price drops/content, meaning that Halo 3 will prevent sales from dipping down as low as they had been for months on end."...  The Christmas shopping season has always seen an increase in sales so why compare those months to the previous ones in the year?  Does anyone really think that November and December sales would be less or even the same as say July and August for example?

In NA, 100,000 360s sold easy, with ~2.5 mil. copies of Halo 3 sold.

that week 360 should outsell the wii. it's already selling 60, 70k a week, so i say... 180k.

should easily outsell the wii during release week, or it'll be a huge disappointment for microsoft. should outsell the wii for 2 weeks in a row.

the Wii is an epidemic.