By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I the only person who respects Nintendo as a dev but not a console maker

nintendo might actually do terribly without developing a console as compared to developing one.

1) they design hardware to support their software and get a clear advantage from that. hardware is always on their mind and they use that to support their software. case in point: zelda battery save, 3d mario control, wii sports

2) they are the focus. people buy a nintendo console for nintendo games. the software and hardware both benefit from nintendo being the one making it.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

Nes: Technical issues, weak color palette, slow processor

Gameboy: Monochrome (but that was actually a strength, in a way)

SNES: Slower processor -launched over a year after the competition

Nintendo 64: Cartridge based -launched over a year after the competition

Gameboy Advance: No Backlighting (until the very end)

Gamecube: Mini-discs held MUCH less memory than DVDs. Purple -launched over a year after the competition

Nintendo DS: Graphically inferior to competition

Nintendo Wii: Far less powerful than competing consoles -launched over a year after the competition

Nintendo consoles ALWAYS have a major flaw. It's like Nintendo likes to handicap themselves, and then impress us anyway!

I wish the Wii had greater graphical prowess. And the only two Nintendo consoles that I can ever remember thinking had great graphics for their time were the SNES and the N64.

d21lewis said:

Gamecube: Mini-discs held MUCH less memory than DVDs. Purple -launched over a year after the competition

Nintendo Wii: Far less powerful than competing consoles -launched over a year after the competition

Nintendo consoles ALWAYS have a major flaw. It's like Nintendo likes to handicap themselves, and then impress us anyway!

of course they have. ALL consoles have some flaw. PS1 - graphically inferior to competition. PS2 - difficult to develop for, graphically inferior. etc etc. If any console was perfect no one would buy the other ones

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

d21lewis said:

You can pull out a "major" flaw in any system..... :P So I don't think your list works!

Around the Network

I'm having a tough time coming up with flaws for the Dreamcast or original Xbox!

d21lewis said:
I'm having a tough time coming up with flaws for the Dreamcast or original Xbox!

well here's one:

Xbox: big brick, ppl thought it was a pron machine....

d21lewis said:

Many people disliked the Dreamcast's controller, and another major flaw might be....hmmm...

Well it was considerably weaker than the other systems in it's generation, even though it was the first. No DVD?

And, while I can find a flaw in any console, Nintendo (who is STILL my favorite company) had flaws that made their console incapable of doing what other consoles of their generation already could.

The Wii simply can't produce the kind of AI/physics/graphics of the HD twins. The Gamecube's format made it necessary for tons and tons of dialog, audio, and even levels to be left out of some games. The Nes couldn't handle the multi-player that some Sega Master System multi-plats had. The SNES's processor caused some games to be flicker-fests! Nintendo is a phenomenal company, but (while their games are always second to none) sometimes their consoles have been a step back from what was ALREADY available on the market.

Of course, they always had advantages, too. The SNES boasted much better audio and special effects than the Genesis. The N64 couldn't compete with the CGI and audio of the PS1, but it was a graphical powerhouse. The Gameboy had a battery life that would embarrass the competition. The Wii sports innovative motion control as its standard.

I just call em like I see em.

d21lewis said:
And, while I can find a flaw in any console, Nintendo (who is STILL my favorite company) had flaws that made their console incapable of doing what other consoles of their generation already could.

The Wii simply can't produce the kind of AI/physics/graphics of the HD twins. The Gamecube's format made it necessary for tons and tons of dialog, audio, and even levels to be left out of some games. The Nes couldn't handle the multi-player that some Sega Master System multi-plats had. The SNES's processor caused some games to be flicker-fests! Nintendo is a phenomenal company, but (while their games are always second to none) sometimes their consoles have been a step back from what was ALREADY available on the market.

Of course, they always had advantages, too. The SNES boasted much better audio and special effects than the Genesis. The N64 couldn't compete with the CGI and audio of the PS1, but it was a graphical powerhouse. The Gameboy had a battery life that would embarrass the competition. The Wii sports innovative motion control as its standard.

I just call em like I see em.

So the PS2 had online gaming like the Dreamcast?