By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Wii Holiday Hardware Supplies Will Be "Unprecedented"

Source

Nintendo boss man Reggie Fils-Aime sat down with the San Jose Mercury News crack team of video podcasters to talk about everything Wii and Nintendo DS. For those who are going without a Wii—or are concerned parents who shudder at the thought of camping out at Toys R Us this holiday—Reggie says Wii supply this season will be "unprecedented." He promises that stock for the console will be "substantially more than the launch, substantially more than has been seen to date." That's the good news, says Fils-Aime.

Around the Network

Already being discussed here
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6960&start=0#end

Thats good news.

mM
superchunk said:
Already being discussed here
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6960&start=0#end

Bah, grr. I read that thread this morning and this interview wasn't in it. :-p

Around the Network

not much information... it's not like he'll say not everybody who wants one can get one.

reggie is essentially a PR guy anyway (right?).

the Wii is an epidemic.

So Nintendo has been hoarding all the Wii's for Christmas sales.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I am sure that Nintendo is hoarding them away so that paying customers can't buy them.............................how stupid is that. Do you realize what you are saying? I don't believe Reggie. I think supplies are going to be tight this year too.

If he's using the word "unprecedented" correctly that means that he expects the US to receive more units than the PS2 sold in the 2002 holidays. That would mean that they plan to have 4 million units for the US for Thanksgiving to the new year.

Nintendo has had a habit of being very honest, but that's a bit hard to swallow. It's not inconceivable, but that would exceed even my loftiest, most fanboyish expectations.

Given this information, I'd say that the Wii selling 2 million in the US during the holidays is pretty much a given, and 3 million or more is a significant possibility. The PS2 did a little bit less than 2 million in the US last Christmas, with the 360 a little bit further behind.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck

Holiday sales matter more, plain and simple. Nintendo had better either hoard or increase production by holidays, because selling out at a low number during holidays is very bad.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )