By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Wii Holiday Hardware Supplies Will Be "Unprecedented"

bulletstopper said:
I am sure that Nintendo is hoarding them away so that paying customers can't buy them.............................how stupid is that. Do you realize what you are saying? I don't believe Reggie. I think supplies are going to be tight this year too.

Oops...I didn't mean to say ALL the Wiis. Then that would be stupid. I meant hoarding some so they can flood the market at xmas time. I believe there were rumors that they were doing this. I think it's a pretty good strategy. Flood the market when the demand is very high for all consoles to take sales away from their competitors. This will give consumers the less expensive alternative when they buy gifts.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

Perhaps a certain large round letter of the alphabet between I and K needs to visit the crow-eating thread. :)

^^ Leo-J ??? LL Cool J ??? Who the Hell are we taling about ???

And yes Nintendo would be stupid not to put Wiis aside for the hollidays, if you can´t get a Wii now... no biggie, just wait a little longer, can´t get a Wii to put under the tree for little Johnny who has been good all year ???? BIG BIGGIE.... must get a 360 or a PS3 so he won´t be sad. It may sound like a stereotyp but thats how it works.

Now we can post more insane predictions.

5 Million wiis sold in december.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Wait, there was about 2,000,000 at launch Worldwide. If it is substantially more, could we 2.5 Million in a month?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network

@dtewi

Ofcourse if it sells out, 2.5 million in one month would be a record.

mM

At the moment, it looks like Nintendo is sending more units to the US than they have in the past.  And that's not too surprising if the anecdotal evidence on this site is to be believed (i.e. Wii is not sold out in many EU countries and is now much easier to get in some areas of Japan).

As for this stockpiling, I doubt that there will be a magical shipment that will let Nintendo 'flood' the market with extra systems this holiday season.  As Reggie said, retailers will get additional supplies every week.  If Nintendo had a huge pile of them, there would be little reason to send them out at such a measured pace.  Sure, the company may have some extra ones later this year, but most of that will come from increase production which on the slow boats takes about four to five weeks to get here.  (Towards the end of the holiday season, Nintendo will probably send whatever they have left via airfreight which takes about a week from China to the US.)

In the end, it'll only take about 1.2M units for Nintendo to beat their 'more than launch' promise in this interview.  And that seems like a no brainer with the company shipping about 100K a week already.  What will be more important is how many more than this will they be able to get into consumer's hands?  And that, I believe, will be a good yet disappointing number to most.  (If it wasn't, why not say how many?)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

This just in Nintendo warehouses caught fire and destroyed the stock piled wii's thats what you get reggie :P

^ Shut up.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

GranTurismo said:
This just in Nintendo warehouses caught fire and destroyed the stock piled wii's thats what you get reggie :P

Why?

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me