By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FFXIII or Dragon Quest IX? Which will have the most imposing Japan sales?

Soriku said:
No, I just don't know what to expect.

Yes, you should know what to expect. You said it would crush Final Fantasy. Come on. Say something. One million? Two? Three?

Around the Network

DQ easilly - will make atleast 2mln first week in japan.

Soundwave said:

How is Final Fantasy a bigger "trademark"? The Pokemon brand alone probably has made more money than the entire Square-Enix company in their history. 

I'm not talking about money, but about how famous Final Fantasy is. It's sick in Japan. It may not be very successful in the world, but in Japan, it's crazy. Simply, more people recognize Final Fantasy. That's it. It's just sick. And that's why I think it can produce more impressive sales than Dragon Quest.

TheSoldier00 said:
Soundwave said:

How is Final Fantasy a bigger "trademark"? The Pokemon brand alone probably has made more money than the entire Square-Enix company in their history. 

I'm not talking about money, but about how famous Final Fantasy is. It's sick in Japan. It may not be very successful in the world, but in Japan, it's crazy. Simply, more people recognize Final Fantasy. That's it. It's just sick. And that's why I think it can produce more impressive sales than Dragon Quest.

FF isn't nearly as "famous" in Japan as DQ or pokemon is.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

i dont know where ur going at soldier, Pokemon is just much bigger the FF, no comparison. And DQ well its also bigger the FF.

If ur not talking sales wise, then what better reflects what people recognize... i mean they buy what they like, simple as that

Around the Network
Naum said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Soundwave said:

Are you serious? The fastest-selling game in Japan is a Final Fantasy game. Like we all know Halo is more popular than Killzone in America, I think that Final Fantasy definitiely is more popular, more famous and a more gigantic trademark than Dragon Quest in Japan. I agree Dragon Quest is big, too.

kopstudent89 said:
i dont know where ur going at soldier, Pokemon is just much bigger the FF, no comparison. And DQ well its also bigger the FF.

If ur not talking sales wise, then what better reflects what people recognize... i mean they buy what they like, simple as that

Come on, the biggest hype a game has had in Japan is Final Fantasy, and it's the fastest-selling game, too...

TheSoldier00 said:
outlawauron said:
TheSoldier00 said:
outlawauron said:
TheSoldier00 said:
outlawauron said:
TheSoldier00 said:
MANUELF said:
TheSoldier00 said:

Thus far, I'm obliged to say that I'm very surprised. I thought you'd agree with me, and I thought that FF was the most popular series in Japan.

I didn't even know Dragon Quest was more popular than Pokémon.

Because it´s not true, in Japan is Pokemon>Mario 2D>Dragon Quest>Final Fantasy=Monster Hunter

I think Final Fantasy is way more popular than Pokémon in Japan...

But you're wrong. Main Pokemons outsell DQ easily.

But I was talking about Final Fantasy.

I know. Being that DQ is more popular than Final Fantasy and that Pokemon is more popular than Dragon Quest.

Let's link it together.

OK, I don't see a Pokémon game selling in the region of 1.8 million, as I believe Final Fantasy XIII will, considering the fact that it's a monster. Final Fantasy is easily one of the biggest series in Japan. It's really huge.

Diamond and Pearl sold 1.6 million in its first week and went on to sell over 5 million.

Red/Green/Blue sold over 10 million in Japan.

Ruby sold 1.2 million in its first week and sold over 5 million.

Gold/Silver sold 1.5 million first weeks and sold over 7 million.

No Final Fantasy has sold over 4 million in Japan.

That doesn't say much. When a Final Fantasy is released in Japan, it's crazy. The hype. The instant sales.  Same can't be said about Pokémon. And Final Fantasy is a more famous trademark than Pokémon in Japan. It's crazy. That's what I more mean.

So what other evidence you need if sale numbers don't say much? Do you know that there are 11 Pokemon movies since 1998 (one every year) and most of them are among the Top 10 selling movie in Japan for the year? Final Fantasy brand might be popular with gamers. It is in no way "a more famous trademark than Pokémon in Japan".

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

TheSoldier00 said:
Naum said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Soundwave said:

Are you serious? The fastest-selling game in Japan is a Final Fantasy game. Like we all know Halo is more popular than Killzone in America, I think that Final Fantasy definitiely is more popular, more famous and a more gigantic trademark than Dragon Quest in Japan. I agree Dragon Quest is big, too.

You're really hurting yourself right now.

The highest first week is Final Fantasy VIII at 2.5 million. The second highest is Dragon Quest VIII at 2.2 million.

However, that's a little decieving. Let's have a look.

Final Fantasy VIII:

Region  Japan  America  Others Total
Total Sales 3.64m 2.34m 1.88m 7.86m
Week 1 2,592,405 n/a n/a 2,592,405
Week 2 280,589 n/a n/a 280,589
Week 3 212,975 n/a n/a 212,975
Week 4 150,022 n/a n/a 150,022
Week 5 106,517 n/a n/a 106,517
Week 6 68,348 n/a n/a 68,348
Week 7 46,248 n/a n/a 46,248
Week 8 31,454 n/a n/a 31,454
Week 9 23,633 n/a n/a 23,633
Week 10 16,663 n/a n/a 16,663

Dragon Quest VIII:

Total Sales 3.68m 0.51m 0.69m 4.88m
Week 1 2,267,827 n/a n/a 2,267,827
Week 2 549,813 n/a n/a 549,813
Week 3 212,212 n/a n/a 212,212
Week 4 139,452 n/a n/a 139,452
Week 5 123,436 n/a n/a 123,436
Week 6 82,217 n/a n/a 82,217
Week 7 50,548 n/a n/a 50,548
Week 8 24,483 n/a n/a 24,483
Week 9 12,489 n/a n/a 12,489
Week 10 12,203 n/a n/a

This is where things get interesting. This is the ONLY game ever to sell more than a million copies in two weeks.

Dragon Quest VII:

Total Sales 4.12m 0.21m 0.00m 4.33m
Week 1 1,821,450 n/a n/a 1,821,450
Week 2 1,167,184 n/a n/a 1,167,184
Week 3 405,688 n/a n/a 405,688
Week 4 233,678 n/a n/a 233,678
Week 5 74,795 n/a n/a 74,795
Week 6 50,940 n/a n/a 50,940
Week 7 65,266 n/a n/a 65,266
Week 8 26,295 n/a n/a 26,295
Week 9 17,440 n/a n/a 17,440
Week 10 14,042 n/a n/a 14,042

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

TheSoldier00 said:
Naum said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Soundwave said:

We all know Halo is more popular than Killzone in America because Halo simply destroys Killzone in sales.

Have you ever been to Japan? Do you know any non-gamer Japanese from Japan? You sound like you are saying all this purely based on your own speculation.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.