By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (4/23) - MHG Wii, Killzone 2, Disaster Report 3

Overall sales in Japan are pathetic.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

What is the argument again? That PS3 and Wii are some how equal all of the sudden? 

If I'm playing you in basketball and I'm beating you 8 to 3, even if you scored the last basket, I still consider that an ass kicking. 

The PS3 has never proven it can sell 30k+ a week for any sustained stretch in Japan. Never. Not even in this first half of the year where Nintendo has basically rolled over for them and they've had multiple big game releases. 

The Wii on the other hand has done that for most of its life span in Japan. With meager third party support to date at that. 

They are not in the same situation, spin it all you want. 

You said that Nintendo and Sony are relying on past games to boost hardware. (As in HSG6 boosting sales, etc.)

You then go to say that Nintendo's second half is better, and I'm pointing out that they're both quite dreary.

Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus are likely to sell 5-6+ combined. And probably a good from Monster Hunter 3. And FF Crystal Bearers. And maybe Pikmin 3. 

If that's dreary than somehow Nintendo managed to sell 8 million consoles with a lineup that was putrid. Dreary would be a step up. 

Nintendo is the harder one to gauge because they also now don't even announce games until like a month before release. 

Look, I'm not talking about overall software sales. I know they will all sell well. We are talking about software pushing hardware.

And yes, both consoles have a dreary software line up for the second half of the year. (Note: MH 3 releasing in June is not in the second half)

Is Monster Hunter 3 confirmed for June? That would actually be pretty ideal for Nintendo, they will be able to build momentum with a WSR + MH3 one-two punch. 

The Wii has shown all it needs is one hot game to sell decent hardware numbers and can sustain that for a long stretch. 

The PS3 is the one that has never been able to consistently sell above 20k at any point in its life span. The PS3 is the one that spikes and then drops a week or two later, we've seen this patter again and again and again, and you will see it again. 

The Wii has a better shot if Nintendo plays their cards right. 

I agree that the Wii is much more stable as far as sales are concerned, but have you been looking at the charts these past few weeks? Both consoles have dropped. The Wii has reached an all new low in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

MGS4COD4HALO3 said:
Capcom should know already that third party games doesn't do well on the wii. They should port it over to the psp and try to make some money.

Pssst: It's already on PSP...

Capcom made some $2 million net revenue in a single day on a PS2 game that's also been released on PSP. If you have better ideas of making money I like to hear them.

Oh and btw: you better stop trolling or your stay on VGC will be a short one.

@outlawauron

I thought MH3 is scheduled for late summer (July-Aug)

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

What is the argument again? That PS3 and Wii are some how equal all of the sudden? 

If I'm playing you in basketball and I'm beating you 8 to 3, even if you scored the last basket, I still consider that an ass kicking. 

The PS3 has never proven it can sell 30k+ a week for any sustained stretch in Japan. Never. Not even in this first half of the year where Nintendo has basically rolled over for them and they've had multiple big game releases. 

The Wii on the other hand has done that for most of its life span in Japan. With meager third party support to date at that. 

They are not in the same situation, spin it all you want. 

You said that Nintendo and Sony are relying on past games to boost hardware. (As in HSG6 boosting sales, etc.)

You then go to say that Nintendo's second half is better, and I'm pointing out that they're both quite dreary.

Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus are likely to sell 5-6+ combined. And probably a good from Monster Hunter 3. And FF Crystal Bearers. And maybe Pikmin 3. 

If that's dreary than somehow Nintendo managed to sell 8 million consoles with a lineup that was putrid. Dreary would be a step up. 

Nintendo is the harder one to gauge because they also now don't even announce games until like a month before release. 

Look, I'm not talking about overall software sales. I know they will all sell well. We are talking about software pushing hardware.

And yes, both consoles have a dreary software line up for the second half of the year. (Note: MH 3 releasing in June is not in the second half)

Is Monster Hunter 3 confirmed for June? That would actually be pretty ideal for Nintendo, they will be able to build momentum with a WSR + MH3 one-two punch. 

The Wii has shown all it needs is one hot game to sell decent hardware numbers and can sustain that for a long stretch. 

The PS3 is the one that has never been able to consistently sell above 20k at any point in its life span. The PS3 is the one that spikes and then drops a week or two later, we've seen this patter again and again and again, and you will see it again. 

The Wii has a better shot if Nintendo plays their cards right. 

I agree that the Wii is much more stable as far as sales are concerned, but have you been looking at the charts these past few weeks? Both consoles have dropped. The Wii has reached an all new low in Japan.

It's not like the Wii hitting lows in Japan is some random, mysterious phenomenon. 

They haven't released anything for the damn thing in six friggin' months. In the middle of an economic recession. In a market where consoles are becoming dinosaurs in general. 

What exactly did they think was going to happen? I can tell you right now, Mr. Iwata has probably upended some tea tables at Nintendo HQ because he is not a very happy camper right now. 

If the Wii cannot recover, I think it's a death knell for home consoles in Japan in general. They are done there, the PS3 isn't going to save the console market there. Sorry. 

Around the Network
saicho said:
@outlawauron

I thought MH3 is scheduled for late summer (July-Aug)

Hmm, I just looked online and saw no release date. I must have been seeing things.

There isn't an offcial one yet.

If the Wii cannot recover, I think it's a death knell for home consoles in Japan in general. They are done there, the PS3 isn't going to save the console market there. Sorry. 

The DS2 and PSP2 will be powerful enough 3D machines to handle most of the big Japanese franchises and devs will switch over entirely. 

Whether you like the Wii or not ... it is the last best hope for the Japanese console industry. 

Soundwave said:

The DS2 and PSP2 will be powerful enough 3D machines to handle most of the big Japanese franchises and devs will switch over entirely. 

Whether you like the Wii or not ... it is the last best hope for the Japanese console industry. 

You make far too many accusations about me. I haven't never once thought that anyone is going to save the Japanese console industry.

And I have nothing against the Wii. Or the games I have for it.

outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

You make far too many accusations about me. I haven't never once thought that anyone is going to save the Japanese console industry.

It wasn't an accusation towards you. 

It's just a pretty true statement. If the Wii does flounder ... it would be a blow so damaging to an already weak market that I doubt such a market could sustain itself any longer. 

Iwata did turn around the DS, which at one point looked like it was teetering on the brink of disaster too though ... I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He is the best executive in video games right now bar none.

Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

It wasn't an accusation towards you. 

It's just a pretty true statement. If the Wii does flounder ... it would be a blow so damaging to an already weak market that I doubt such a market could sustain itself any longer. 

Iwata did turn around the DS, which at one point looked like it was teetering on the brink of disaster too though ... I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He is the best executive in video games right now bar none.

No you just imply that I think that the PS3 is going to save the market in Japan, and that I don't like the Wii.

Either isn't true. Well, it also helps that I don't think either is going to save anything.