By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (4/23) - MHG Wii, Killzone 2, Disaster Report 3

leo-j said:
Soundwave said:
leo-j said:
Soundwave said:

You're right it doesn't matter in the big picture because all that shows is Sony can barely keep pace with the Wii even when the Wii is slumping and Nintendo is releasing dick all for it in Japan.

Ofcourse, thats why the psp cant keep up with the wii in japan

The PSP's release schedule for the 1st half of 2009 is far better than the Wii's in Japan. Nintendo banked heavily on Wii Music + rehashed Animal Crossing to carry the Wii through the first half of this year ... they bet on the wrong horse. 

If the PS3 can sell on par with the Wii after Wii Sports Resort, Monster Hunter 3, Tales of Graces, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers, and Wii Fit Plus later on in the year ... then I will be impressed. 

Its not impressive that the ps3 is nearly twice the price of the wii?

Did you think the sale for PS3 in 2007 and/or 2008 was bad?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:

Wow i see some people do not realise that MHG is a port of a old game that arleady has been released on other systems. (and sold well) Or they just ignore this important fact, sales of nearly 100k first day for such product are good, even if you apply negative spin.

Ooohh.. it's an old game. Well, that definitely explains the low sales then. I thought it was going to be a brand new MH game. Yeah, 100K in one week for an old game is not bad at all. Games like Trusty Bell and Eternal Sonata sold like crap on the PS3 in Japan. Did sell anywhere near 100K their first week in Japan or in the U.S.  KZ2 didn't do anything special in Japan either. Japanese gamers are big FPS fans anyways. Halo 3 actually sold much better in Japan though and it has a lot less systems sold. That's kind of strange.

'gaming till I'm gone'

The 40GB PS3 in Japan is about $100 more than the Wii in Japan. 

No that's not impressive at all, look at what the PS2 did to the cheaper GameCube. 

Sony has fallen a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. Now during the one of three weeks a year they can actually manage sales like 60k for a week, it's a special occassion that warrants a party apparently. 

Soundwave said:

The 40GB PS3 in Japan is about $100 more than the Wii in Japan. 

No that's not impressive at all, look at what the PS2 did to the cheaper GameCube. 

Sony has fallen a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. 

There is no 40gb ps3 in japan, and its 15,000 yen more for a ps3 than it is for a wii.

mM

The PS3 is the same price the PS2 was, the Wii is more expensive than the GameCube.

Both Sony and Nintendo are in trouble in the console relam if they do not get much better release schedules. 

What does Sony have for the rest of the year now? FF13 and ... ? That's not exactly a recipe for success their sales will soon drop back to the 8k-14k levels just like what happened with MGS4. 

Around the Network

@soundwave

The ps2 was 29,900 yen at launch

mM
Soriku said:
*~Onna76~* said:
Kenology said:
MHG did great first day numbers. Ignore the whining Sony fans - 92k first day is a great performance.

Killzone 2 did solid first day numbers too.

I'm a Sony fan but also a Nintendo fan.

@Darc Requiem

Hardware sales say otherwise. Nintendo has to pull the facts together, meaning to the rest of the world as well, because besides the Wii Resort there's nothing new being released from their side. Nice and all that the Wii is still selling, but the ones owning the darn thing, want games. Best games are still coming from 3rd party devs.

I expect some good stuff for this year. However, 2010 will be THE year of big 1st party games. The only reason they haven't released anything significant in a while is because they released most of that stuff earlier in the Wii's life and now they're working on new installments. In 2010 I see...

-Zelda Wii
-Pikmin 3 (could be in 2009 though, you never know)
-New Monolith Soft games (RPGs and other genre games)
-New Paper Mario
-Mario Party 9

...At the very least. They can release other stuff too.

---

Anyway, I sense the FEAR in this thread :P

8 months to go..Good luck!

Take my love, take my land..

Depends on what you consider big...

End of Eternity, Bayonetta, Tales of Vesperia are all likely 300k+ title's in Japan which should move some hardware.

Lol, KZ2 almost did as much as MHG(not counting bundle). XD

Prediction:

TGS this year for PS3 will be amazing.

Grandia comes to PSN(PSone classic).

First Versus gameplay this year.

The Adventures Of Duane and Brando

leo-j said:
@soundwave

The ps2 was 29,900 yen at launch

Wrong, it was 39,800 yen. 

Face it the PS3 will never sell anywhere close to the PS2 in Japan.