By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs or JRPGs and why?

chris1_16 said:
Carl2291 said:
This gen its WRPG simply for Mass Effect.

Overall its JRPG, Suikoden 2

Suikoden? Never heard of it

I hope this doesn't derail the topic

For me its the best RPG game you can buy on any console.

If you can afford it, Ebay it.

Around the Network

JRPG's by a long shot. There are more good JRPG's than WRPG's

Western RPGs by far.

-Immersion
-Freedom
-Character Creation
-Gfxs
-'D&D inspired' stats and combat mechanics

Easily JRPG's, no contest.

I can't take most JRPG characters seriously...

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Around the Network

JRPG's mainly because I think it seems like they focus more on characters relationships and the stories seem more developed. I usually like the character design better too.

JRPGs

chris1_16 said:

I'd say WRPG.

Not to say that I don't love JRPGs but I'm just not a fan of the whole strategy combat thing (even though I'm use to it) and JRPGs have weird looking protagonist (not that its a bad thing)

I think the weaknesses of WRPGs is combat, and that although their openess is a plus and adds to the role playing part, it can also hurt in that the story can't really be controlled in positive manner by the writers, and they have to design a story with multiple endings in mind.

The characters in WRPGs are weaker IMHO, notably because you play as one character instead of a dedicated party that follows you and interacts with you. They're usually one shot characters for a quest.

Akvod said:
chris1_16 said:

I'd say WRPG.

Not to say that I don't love JRPGs but I'm just not a fan of the whole strategy combat thing (even though I'm use to it) and JRPGs have weird looking protagonist (not that its a bad thing)

I think the weaknesses of WRPGs is combat, and that although their openess is a plus and adds to the role playing part, it can also hurt in that the story can't really be controlled in positive manner by the writers, and they have to design a story with multiple endings in mind.

The characters in WRPGs are weaker IMHO, notably because you play as one character instead of a dedicated party that follows you and interacts with you. They're usually one shot characters for a quest.

You don't know what you're talking about. The best videogame story ever is Planescape: Torment, a pure WRPG. WRPGs actually have a much higher writing and narrative quality than JRPGs and also make much better and original stories and characters.

As for the combat, I suggest you take a look at Baldur's Gate 2, which blows away any RPG combat system in terms of tactics, customization and strategy.

WRPG. So much personal customization and freedom to do what you want. Fun, fun, fun.