By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs or JRPGs and why?

none... i dont really like RPGs

Around the Network
Akvod said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Akvod said:
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:

1. Customizations are NOT "real" choices! And 7-9 choices... that's nowhere near the hundreds of choices in Fallout 1 & 2.

2. Dude, deciding on your class is NOT a choice that affects linearity/gameworld. You are arguing about something you don't even know about.

5. Again, deciding on a class is not something to brag about because it usually doesn't affect the gameworld other than the attributes/equipment/skills of your character, except in a few games.

6. Mass Effect is only one game. The trilogy part is just an excuse so some people can forgive the faults a stand-alone game of the trilogy has.

1. LOL...You're expecting me to believe that customization isn't choice? Thats kinda loopy man. You're still being subjective trying to prove which WRPG is better than the other. This is sad.

2. In mass effect there are certain things you can and cannot do in the game unless you are a certain class. For instance, when you're trying to truly explore the best person to use is the engineer, because that person can allow you to get into hard crates and get the achievements for all materials found.

5. Class may not affect the game world, but you can still make individual choices. In the end it is all about your decisions.

6. Poor guy....you really haven't seen the interviews about the next game haven't you? The lead dev stated that all of your decisions will ultimately spill out into Mass Effect 2. Alot of the game is a secret, but what did to end the game (and I wont spoil it) and everything you did in the universe will fall out into Mass Effect 2. If you have a different save, it will turn out different. The world will be a product of what you did in the first game if you go based on your save. If you don't use the save part 2 will still be a great game. It's all one big story cut up into a triology. How else do you expect them to milk the franchise and show new things dude?

It's clear you have NO experience with Western RPGs other than the dumbed-down Console releases. A choice is not a choice without consequence. Classes give you nothing but the most superficial changes in the gameworld, except in a few games (Mass Effect isn't one of the exceptions).

What it means to make a choice in a videogame is to actively change the game's world. In Fallout 2, if you killed children you would be labeled as a child-killer and be oucasted by many of the NPCs and even whole villages, and the bounty hunters would track you down just to kill you. Now THAT is a real choice!

I don't see how the platform matters, I'm sure they can implement that child killer thing easily. In Oblivion the guard occasionally brings up your murdering tendancies.

I don't get why a game is good if it has choices and consequences. Are "pick your own stories" books better than conventional novels?

When you play Fallout, do you play as yourself? If so, then are you truly roleplaying? Are you playing as an evil or good character? Isn't that a very cliche and shallow thing (but accepted by the likes of Fable)? Are you playing as an dashing rogue or Paladin? Aren't those all just pre-made characters, like JRPGs, except they lack the soul of a back story and personalities?

*See bold *

Actually...no. You don't play as you, but you are playing as a character whom you become and control. You have the choice to be evil or good which brings consequences whether they are on a large scale or even a small one. It's not cliche in shallow...what is cliche is having 17 year old teenagers running around in metrosexual outfits. Humans will never be afraid of choice. Choice is what makes our lives turn out the way they do. I created my character in Mass Effect, so I cannot relate that game to any JRPG i've played. They do have a pre-made character. In JRPG's you're on a one track rollercoaster, while in WRPG's you face the open world. It's not just about upping your power, it's about playing the role in becoming the character. I hope this helps. :)

The only difference between you and the character in WRPGs are abilities. It is very interesting and novel to play an WRPG for the first time, where you can examine yourself through your actions especially if you played in earnest and picked choices just because you wanted to (instead of getting Ending A, or being able to look all cool and evil looking like in Fable). I remember, the first WRPG I played, Deus Ex, I always randomly stole from the ATM machines without a care in the world. But I remember when I stole from an ATM in a run down hotel, and then read a file later in the same hotel, that revealed that the money was from the struggling hotel owner, I realized the magnitude of my actions (as you said earlier).

You control not just the characters ability but their actions, inventory, moral and more. Yeah, pretty much what you stated about Deus Ex has WRPG aspects in the game.

That's really cool. But then once you become a regular WRPG player the magic is gone, just like when I first played a MMO as a 12-3 year old kid. You wake up in this virtual world and there's so much mystery and unknowns, but as soon as you figure the world out, you reveal to yourself that it's just another virtual world, and it breaks the suspense of disbelief, and you just start reading faqs on how to level the best character on Oblivion, or in the case of MMO's asking for buffs and using slang terms.

I'm not a regular WRPG player, I balance between WRPG's and JRPG's but I prefer WRPG's because I grew up on using my imagination from games like D&D. I actually used to sketch out my characters and people thought they were cool, so i'd do the sketch work for them as well. I am not an MMO guy, but I like WRPG's which I can immerse myself into the role. MMO's can be extremely time consuming **COUGHWOWCOUGH**. As you can see, I have recieved plenty of pointers from gamers on JRPG's and WRPG's that I should play and I am actually astonished by the results. I've looked the games up and they sound pretty interesting.

As for JRPG cliches. The argument I'm going to make is this. WRPG's aren't as good as JRPGs, not because I played all of the games from both genres and judged which has a better average score. There may be very well many cliched and horrible JRPGs (especially as a lot of them are low budget ones now). The argument I instead make is that WRPGs are not as good as JRPGs due to their nature and characteristics, which cannot be changed without changing the genre/name itself.

Then I guess you like the non RPG characteristics about JRPG's. I like those two, but I admit it. As I said, sometimes I like a bit of both worlds.

WRPGs, force you to either play as yourself, or play as a character you create. Those characters that we create are usually cliche, but that isn't necessarily part of the nature of WRPGs. Even still, if we create a very unique character, with traits and a moral code, there's no foundation to back such a wonderful character up. No history, no bad guy you can create, no fellow characters you can create, quests, etc. All you are given are a main quest, and side quests. That is why some people have described WRPGs as "soul less". Just like role playing in a MMO, we have to pretty much use every ounce of imagination to be able to step into a unique character and immerse yourself in it. Can you play as a man seeking for revenge because your family and house got burned down in Oblivion? No, you have to start from a sewer. Can you find that person who destroyed your life? No. You can only save the world from Oblivion gates and do side quests that don't relate to the character what so ever.

I dunno, there are a vast variety of people one can create. WRPG's give you different races & classes which JRPG's do not provide. There is nothing cliche about that. The settings may be cliche, but not the variety and choice. JRPG's can be cliche, because what you see is what you get and it's always based on some trend.

It's awesome if you play as yourself, because then everything does relate to YOU. But then you're not roleplaying as well, and the novelty and suspense of disbelief wears off, and there's no reason to play another WRPG unless you keep changing as a person (which we do).

Not all WRPG's are the same. The more novel and different in setting, the better. The cliche WRPG's are D&D types, but that can be expanded to even a futuristic style. Personally I love futuristic settings, which is why I love Mass Effect.

Whereas in JRPGs, they create a character for you, and the entire game backs that character up with a foundation of quests, cut scenes, scripted events that relate to it. And it manages to immerse you into that character and play as someone you aren't. If you don't actually feel like you're Cloud Strife or Squall Leonheart, then JRPGs either fail to immerse you, or you're not the type of person that gets immersed by JRPGs.

Yes, but you're watching the character and moreso helping the character by controlling their inventory and picking out moves. It's like a movie where you get to choose what they do. I like that sometimes, but not all of the time. If I want to immerse myself into a character i'll just play a really epic action title.

And yes it's a roller coaster. But again, if you play as yourself, it's the same thing. If you don't mind stealing, you'll keep stealing in any WRPG game. If you like killing, you're going to keep killing people in every WRPG. If you play as an "evil", "good", Han Solo-esque, etc character you're doing exactly what JRPG does, except to a very lesser degree, and without any foundation to really back up you up and develop that character.

In WRPG's you're not always playing yourself. You're creating a role and becoming the role. It's like being an actor if you think about it in realistic terms. Actors are actual role players.

The best WRPG for me, is a game that will change my very soul, personality, and moral code, by questioning it, even if I know that ultimately know it was a game. This isn't done by just having people call me murderer after I kill someone, or even that awesome momment in Deus Ex I described earlier. Because the only thing I got out of Deus Ex was that when I play WRPGs or video games in general, I shut off my Super Ego, and do whatever I wanted to. I already know that I am a selfish bastard, and that I only restrain myself for society and law. So the next WRPG I play better make me realize something I already didn't know.

I'll try Deus EX, good talk.

Both are lots of fun but for me.....JRPGs takes the crown.

JRPGs just have a more engaging story for the most part. They give detailed characters life. I cannot say the same for WRPGs. THey often feel stoic and lifeless. JRPGs also usually have more fun gameplay. I will take a FF turned base battle system over Oblivion's wonky weapon handling, or Mass Effect's shooter hybrid play anyday.

The only reason I really play WRPGs is because of their openness and customization. Of recent the genre definitions have started to blend for the better. Mass Effect is really story and character driven which I love. Demon's Soul and WKC both are set to have custom characters and onlineplay.DS especially feels very WRPG ish.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I wish Oblivion wasn't the first to leap to peoples' mind when they think of WRPGs because it's such garbage that it makes the rest of the genre look bad.

Now would you say that Oblivion is garbage on its own or is that indicative of a trend in the Elder Scrolls series?

Around the Network

if they make some of the characters on JRPG not all asian that would be great.

Khuutra said:
Now would you say that Oblivion is garbage on its own or is that indicative of a trend in the Elder Scrolls series?

Both more or less.  It's great as a sandbox exploration game but awful as a WRPG.

peshkavus said:
if they make some of the characters on JRPG not all asian that would be great.

And how many characters in most JRPGs actually look all that asian in the first place?

Heck, Jade Empire (a WRPG made by Bioware) has characters that are more asian than 95% of the JRPGs around:

I guess that's fair. My enjoyment from the game came far more from exploring and interacting with the world than it did trying to buil up any particular sort of character. Odd that a game with that much freedom doesn't really allow you to roleplay very much.

JRPG:s. WRPG:s are basically just bald space marine shooters for immature little kids.

Who doesn't love those WRPGs with the mute main characters with no personality who are pumped full of steroids? Or those non-exisistant story lines and the huge world with nothing to do except for side-quests. Where the main quest takes 6 hours to beat and then you're stuck playing side-quests for the remaining 120 hours.

I do enjoy a WRPG once in a while, but if I want a good story with interersting characters I'll pick a JRPG, kbye.