By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs or JRPGs and why?

well Ive only played these that are RPG's

Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario (N64)
M&L Superstar Saga
M&L Partners in Time
Final Fantasy IV (DS)

I'm not sure about the mario games but I know FFIV is a JRPG

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
WRPGs because I like guns, people with regular hairdos, and non-flaming characters.

then you don't like gears since the only point it get it's guns :P.

there is nothing gayer than space marines.

Jo21 said:
halogamer1989 said:
WRPGs because I like guns, people with regular hairdos, and non-flaming characters.

Doom guy is nowhere near gay. He's the manliest video game character, ever. Too bad he can't move his neck up and down.

Jo21 said:
halogamer1989 said:

17 year old, emo metrosexuals are way gayer than space marines. :)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:

1. Customizations are NOT "real" choices! And 7-9 choices... that's nowhere near the hundreds of choices in Fallout 1 & 2.

2. Dude, deciding on your class is NOT a choice that affects linearity/gameworld. You are arguing about something you don't even know about.

5. Again, deciding on a class is not something to brag about because it usually doesn't affect the gameworld other than the attributes/equipment/skills of your character, except in a few games.

6. Mass Effect is only one game. The trilogy part is just an excuse so some people can forgive the faults a stand-alone game of the trilogy has.

1. LOL...You're expecting me to believe that customization isn't choice? Thats kinda loopy man. You're still being subjective trying to prove which WRPG is better than the other. This is sad.

2. In mass effect there are certain things you can and cannot do in the game unless you are a certain class. For instance, when you're trying to truly explore the best person to use is the engineer, because that person can allow you to get into hard crates and get the achievements for all materials found.

5. Class may not affect the game world, but you can still make individual choices. In the end it is all about your decisions.

6. Poor guy....you really haven't seen the interviews about the next game haven't you? The lead dev stated that all of your decisions will ultimately spill out into Mass Effect 2. Alot of the game is a secret, but what did to end the game (and I wont spoil it) and everything you did in the universe will fall out into Mass Effect 2. If you have a different save, it will turn out different. The world will be a product of what you did in the first game if you go based on your save. If you don't use the save part 2 will still be a great game. It's all one big story cut up into a triology. How else do you expect them to milk the franchise and show new things dude?

It's clear you have NO experience with Western RPGs other than the dumbed-down Console releases. A choice is not a choice without consequence. Classes give you nothing but the most superficial changes in the gameworld, except in a few games (Mass Effect isn't one of the exceptions).

What it means to make a choice in a videogame is to actively change the game's world. In Fallout 2, if you killed children you would be labeled as a child-killer and be oucasted by many of the NPCs and even whole villages, and the bounty hunters would track you down just to kill you. Now THAT is a real choice!

I totally grasp the concept of choice, which I don't think you understand. All of your choices from Mass Effect will spill out into the next game. In Mass Effect you can decide to let criminals live and hide in exile, continue criminal activities, gambling and more, but if you turn on them you'll have to take them out or have them arrested (This all depends on what level your speaking skills are on renegade or paragon). Consequences exist man. Mass Effect is approaching things differently, which I think is cool. In the end you either have the Paragon or Renegade ending (I wont talk about them in depth and your decisions in the ending which will affect the next game). I must play Fallout game though.

That is non-factor.You shouldn't forgive a game's faults by saying the sequel will excuse them, because not only you're forced to play an entire game without "real choices", but also because we don't know if Bioware will even do what they promise.

Around the Network
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:

1. Customizations are NOT "real" choices! And 7-9 choices... that's nowhere near the hundreds of choices in Fallout 1 & 2.

2. Dude, deciding on your class is NOT a choice that affects linearity/gameworld. You are arguing about something you don't even know about.

5. Again, deciding on a class is not something to brag about because it usually doesn't affect the gameworld other than the attributes/equipment/skills of your character, except in a few games.

6. Mass Effect is only one game. The trilogy part is just an excuse so some people can forgive the faults a stand-alone game of the trilogy has.

1. LOL...You're expecting me to believe that customization isn't choice? Thats kinda loopy man. You're still being subjective trying to prove which WRPG is better than the other. This is sad.

2. In mass effect there are certain things you can and cannot do in the game unless you are a certain class. For instance, when you're trying to truly explore the best person to use is the engineer, because that person can allow you to get into hard crates and get the achievements for all materials found.

5. Class may not affect the game world, but you can still make individual choices. In the end it is all about your decisions.

6. Poor guy....you really haven't seen the interviews about the next game haven't you? The lead dev stated that all of your decisions will ultimately spill out into Mass Effect 2. Alot of the game is a secret, but what did to end the game (and I wont spoil it) and everything you did in the universe will fall out into Mass Effect 2. If you have a different save, it will turn out different. The world will be a product of what you did in the first game if you go based on your save. If you don't use the save part 2 will still be a great game. It's all one big story cut up into a triology. How else do you expect them to milk the franchise and show new things dude?

It's clear you have NO experience with Western RPGs other than the dumbed-down Console releases. A choice is not a choice without consequence. Classes give you nothing but the most superficial changes in the gameworld, except in a few games (Mass Effect isn't one of the exceptions).

What it means to make a choice in a videogame is to actively change the game's world. In Fallout 2, if you killed children you would be labeled as a child-killer and be oucasted by many of the NPCs and even whole villages, and the bounty hunters would track you down just to kill you. Now THAT is a real choice!

I totally grasp the concept of choice, which I don't think you understand. All of your choices from Mass Effect will spill out into the next game. In Mass Effect you can decide to let criminals live and hide in exile, continue criminal activities, gambling and more, but if you turn on them you'll have to take them out or have them arrested (This all depends on what level your speaking skills are on renegade or paragon). Consequences exist man. Mass Effect is approaching things differently, which I think is cool. In the end you either have the Paragon or Renegade ending (I wont talk about them in depth and your decisions in the ending which will affect the next game). I must play Fallout game though.

That is non-factor.You shouldn't forgive a game's faults by saying the sequel will excuse them, because not only you're forced to play an entire game without "real choices", but also because we don't know if Bioware will even do what they promise.

Can't you consider the sequel as just another part of an huge overarching game?

Jo21 said:
halogamer1989 said:

Space Marines have hit points too!

Elfs and Dwarves > Moogles

Unicorns and Dragons > Cocobo & Co.

:P

GamingChartzFTW said:
Jo21 said:
halogamer1989 said:

Space Marines have hit points too!

Elfs and Dwarves > Moogles

Unicorns and Dragons > Cocobo & Co.

:P

Weapons (ultima, omega, chaos) > everything.

they rape your dragons!

JRPGs, most of my favorite RPGs are Japanese and I always feel like I'm getting an extra part-time job when I play a WRPG (also the reason why I don't play MMORPGs)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Akvod said:
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
shio said:

Can't you consider the sequel as just another part of an huge overarching game?

He doesn't seem to notice that Mass Effect 1 is just an act in a larger story that you control.