By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: The 'Wii Crash' of 2009

Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Laffer said:
There were fitness games, family games, and educational games on the NES buddy.

Yes, I just said WIDESPREAD... of course there were SOME.... Eyetoy WAS widespread...

Does the EyeToy have fitness games, family games, and educational games?

I know it had fitness and family. Not sure if the EyeToy had educational stuff though.

I think the better question is "how mainstream was the EyeToy exactly?"

Very mainstream, why else do you think Sony released a PS Eye for the PS3, but hasn't done a thing with it? Because they're mainly focussing on the hardcore (male) gamers at the moment. I find it a total shame as the PS Eye would be a real asset to movements in gaming. Only a few PS Eye games were released on the PSN from the start and since then we haven't seen any of them again. Hopefully Eye Pet will make the big change, but I doubt we will see that game any time sooner than 2010, as the usual habit of Sony. Announcing games / stuff years before their actually release.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
Laffer said:

Yes, I just said WIDESPREAD... of course there were SOME.... Eyetoy WAS widespread...

I know it had fitness and family. Not sure if the EyeToy had educational stuff though.

That was gonna be my next question for him, but he started ignoring me.  I'm pretty sure more people used a Power Pad than an EyeToy.

*~Onna76~* said:
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
Laffer said:

Very mainstream, why else do you think Sony released a PS Eye for the PS3, but hasn't done a thing with it? Because they're mainly focussing on the hardcore (male) gamers at the moment. I find it a total shame as the PS Eye would be a real asset to movements in gaming. Only a few PS Eye games were released on the PSN from the start and since then we haven't seen any of them again. Hopefully Eye Pet will make the big change, but I doubt we will see that game any time sooner than 2010, as the usual habit of Sony. Announcing games / stuff years before their actually release.

I don't mean in terms of its intended appeal, I mean in terms of its actual market penetration. "Widespread" was the word used. The EyeToy was never very big, to the best of my knowledge.

So I guess I'm in agreement with Rubang, who steals my thoughts on a regular basis.

Khuutra said:
Laffer said:

If anybody can show me graphics on GC like the one on Gran Turismo 4, I will ask for pardon...

Put to come back to the Wii, I think to the average Wii Joe is not here in the forum, go to Media Markt or other large Shops and look who is buying Wii and who is buying PS3 or XBOX360... do you agree on that at least?

The average buyer for any of the consoles is not on this forum, so the question as phrased doesn't mean a lot. We as members of video game forums are not indicative of the norms for any of the consoles - up to and including the PS3.

The average joe buying consoles in general know nothing of what they're really buying other then face value and they don't go on internet forums and talk about games.

I know plenty of people that are buying or planning on buying a PS3 for the Sony name because they've always bought Sony, not really knowing what is going into the system, the specs or anything.  Same could be said for the average buyer of all consoles, buyers will buy things for face value, they buy things for price/value, name brand, games they want, something they enjoyed at a friends house, those are the most common reasons I come across and to be honest if you're not seriously into games why else would you look into these things.  Buyers for all consoles are generally "casual" just one console gets the most casuals because of the reasons I already listed and that company has the most things that appeal to the average buyer.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Yeah, Wii production finally meeting demand is such a phail lol :P

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
Laffer said:

Yes, I just said WIDESPREAD... of course there were SOME.... Eyetoy WAS widespread. ..

That was gonna be my next question for him, but he started ignoring me.  I'm pretty sure more people used a Power Pad than an EyeToy.

Well, I know it sold a few million because some of the EyeToy only games sold over a million.

It was supposedly bigger in Europe than in America.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

Well, I know it sold a few million because some of the EyeToy only games sold over a million.

Yeah it was a really nifty device. I loved mine. But sadly it didn't seem like a hit here in the US.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

averyblund said:
outlawauron said:

Yeah it was a really nifty device. I loved mine. But sadly it didn't seem like a hit here in the US.

Wikipedia cites a Gamasutra article as saying the Eyetoy sold 10.5 million units by the end of 2008. That's pretty damn good for a peripheral. The only peripherals in the Eyetoy's league that I can think of are the original NES Zapper (which had lousy software support) and the balance board (which is crushing all previous peripherals under its iron boot).

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
averyblund said:
outlawauron said:

Wikipedia cites a Gamasutra article as saying the Eyetoy sold 10.5 million units by the end of 2008. That's pretty damn good for a peripheral. The only peripherals in the Eyetoy's league that I can think of are the original NES Zapper (which had lousy software support) and the balance board (which is crushing all previous peripherals under its iron boot).

Wow! I would have guessed 5million or less. I'm really curious what the breakdown by region was. I felt like I was the only person in North America with one!

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

dougsdad0629 said:

I didn't read any of the other posts, so I don't know if anyone else said this, but here it goes.  There have been A LOT of articles like this on A LOT of different websites lately.  If Joe Consumer reads this often enough, he will believe it.  Even if it's not reality now, these articles have the potential to create that reality.

But "Joe Consumer" does not read these websites.

The vast majority of the people who are reading this informaiton (and misinformation) are those who have their minds already made up.

For example, Fox News is (a) the most watched cable news network in the United States and (b) perceived to have a bias toward the conservative end of the political spectrum.  Everyone points out its influence but if its viewership is only 2.5M people per night, that means 304M ARE NOT WATCHING.

Now I know that some of those not watching are children and I know that you can say that those who consume TV cable news are more likely to be decision-makers. But the 2006 and 2008 American elections would make a falacy of that statement.

In other words, people make decisions based upon their wants/needs and perceived wants/needs. And if they want a Wii, they will buy a Wii -- Yahoo UK be damned.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV