By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: The 'Wii Crash' of 2009

greenmedic88 said:
dougsdad0629 said:

I didn't read any of the other posts, so I don't know if anyone else said this, but here it goes.  There have been A LOT of articles like this on A LOT of different websites lately.  If Joe Consumer reads this often enough, he will believe it.  Even if it's not reality now, these articles have the potential to create that reality.

Most of the posts have been pretty much saying the same thing.

And yes, it's easy to dismiss all of these early warning reports if the only thing you're buying are games and peripherals (people seemed to have stopped buying Wiis for the purpose of flipping them on Ebay thankfully), but if you're actively holding NTDOY stock, this is just that: a warning. Ignore it only if you're feeling pretty omniscient about future trends and ignoring the mainstreet effect on investor confidence.

Those numbers paint a different picture currently. Down five points today, down six points last Friday. At the end of last month, it was sitting at just under $40; it's now trading at $31.39. That's reason enough for me to be concerned as an investor; not as a consumer.

Nintendo doesn't need cheerleaders right now telling them they can do no wrong.

What they need are strong indicators that they will continue to see growth over the next quarter as well as positive news that will sustain growth over the remainder of 2009.

Because the facts are, the only way anyone's been making gains from NTDOY lately has been by short selling the stock. And that's not good for Nintendo.

I would hold on to those Nintendo shares. According to Baron's, the stock has been oversold.  I take that to mean sold so much they are now undervalued, compared to the performance and predictions for the company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUKTRE53I2BN20090419

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
famousringo said:
averyblund said:
outlawauron said:

Well, I know it sold a few million because some of the EyeToy only games sold over a million.

It was supposedly bigger in Europe than in America.

Yeah it was a really nifty device. I loved mine. But sadly it didn't seem like a hit here in the US.

Wikipedia cites a Gamasutra article as saying the Eyetoy sold 10.5 million units by the end of 2008. That's pretty damn good for a peripheral. The only peripherals in the Eyetoy's league that I can think of are the original NES Zapper (which had lousy software support) and the balance board (which is crushing all previous peripherals under its iron boot).

Hmm, that's very interesting! It sold better than I thought!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I've thought this for a while now. I see the wii fans are in denial. How many super hyped flops will it take before they start to see the pattern? People *did* buy the wii for Sports and Fit!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

jkimball said:
I've thought this for a while now. I see the wii fans are in denial. How many super hyped flops will it take before they start to see the pattern? People *did* buy the wii for Sports and Fit!

Very insightful post.

It even explains why the Wii sells more software than the 360 and PS3 (even if counting 3rd party software).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sony or MS surely have time to spend money on anti-Wii propaganda, even on recession days.

Around the Network
jkimball said:

Which hyped flops are you refering to?  Be sure to list a game that has been out for more than 6 months.   If you are referring to Madworld you will see that it will at least sell 1 million lifetime.   If you are referring to Deca Sports 2 then I wasn't even aware of the hype.  Many people called CoD:WaW for Wii a flop and it is now well above 1 million.

I think antitrust must prevent MS from buying Yahoo, with such brains Ballmer would become teh Master of teh World, or even of teh friggin' Solar System!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

jkimball said:

Every system has had tons of flops this gen. The difference is that a Wii flop might cause a bad quarter,  or get a few people fired. While an HD flop will annihilate an entire studio nad it is looking like HD gaming may destroy some big name publishers in the next few years. I mean look at Take 2, they are pretty much an HD house with one of the biggest franchises in gaming and guess what? Their fucked. So who is destroying gaming now? The system with some shovelware and a lot of new gamers, or the ones that are bankrupting the industry?

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

lol@ how long this thread has lasted...

Alby_da_Wolf said:
I think antitrust must prevent MS from buying Yahoo, with such brains Ballmer would become teh Master of teh World, or even of teh friggin' Solar System!!!

No, Yahoo prevented itself from being acquired by Microsoft (pretty sure the CEO rejected the deal thinking he could get more money) then Yahoo tried to lower the price and Microsoft was not interested.