By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Final Fantasy XIII Demo is 5.9GB

JamesCizuz said:
Sigh. A blu-ray disc holds 25 Gb of data. A dual layer holds 50 GB, and the PS3 can support up to 32 layers(confirmed by pioneer), right now only 4 layer discs exist for production. There is absolutely no way for it to use more then one disc on PS3, why do people keep thinking it will?

First off, that was Blu-Ray - not PS3. While the PS3 is capable of playing blu-ray discs, it's not necessarily going to be able to play ANY blu-ray disc. Besides not having the proper firmware (without an upgrade, of course), the hardware may require higher quality mechanics than the PS3 uses (although that is highly unlikely).

Second off, it was 16 layers that Pioneer came up with - a 400GB disc. While there are plans to do as much as 40 layers, nothing greater than 16 layers has been produced yet.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Euphoria14 said:
Demo disc also contained the FFVXIII and Agito trailer on it.

I thought they were on the ACC extras disc.

Nope. I watched the live stream of the FFXIII demo on justin.tv at the Demo's main screen it said "Start Demo" and right below it "Trailers". After completing the demo the first time he went to demos and both the Versus and Agito trailer were there. He played the Versus trailer and then went back to the main menu and replayed the demo.

So yeah, they are on the demo disc.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

forevercloud3000 said:
JamesCizuz said:
Sigh. A blu-ray disc holds 25 Gb of data. A dual layer holds 50 GB, and the PS3 can support up to 32 layers(confirmed by pioneer), right now only 4 layer discs exist for production. There is absolutely no way for it to use more then one disc on PS3, why do people keep thinking it will?

WOW!!!! I seriously did not know that! 32 layers? That is INSANE!!!!

I doubt the whole 5gigs was spent on the demo. If it was it was probably redundent dat as to ensure the demo worked flawlessly without hesitation. Most demos for disc based games take up a gig or so.

The 360 version will most definitely have multiple discs, there is no getting around that, but this demo does not "prove" it. Yet the question of severe quality compression on 360 vs. PS3 downgraded to suit 360 still stands(which is my greatest fear).

Square is developing the games seperately, they already said they are doing the PS3 version first, then the 360, there will be no quality lost for the PS3 version.

Jeronimo66 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
JamesCizuz said:

I doubt the whole 5gigs was spent on the demo. If it was it was probably redundent dat as to ensure the demo worked flawlessly without hesitation. Most demos for disc based games take up a gig or so.

The 360 version will most definitely have multiple discs, there is no getting around that, but this demo does not "prove" it. Yet the question of severe quality compression on 360 vs. PS3 downgraded to suit 360 still stands(which is my greatest fear).

Square is developing the games seperately, they already said they are doing the PS3 version first, then the 360, there will be no quality lost for the PS3 version.

i hope =(, but they should release the localization just as it's done! .

Jeronimo66 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
JamesCizuz said:

The fear comes from the quote that both versions are going to be identical.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Jeronimo66 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
JamesCizuz said:

The fear comes from the quote that both versions are going to be identical.

^This

At first they say the game will be identical. Then they say the PS3 version will not be changed. This is a paradox, for they cannot be identical when the two systems are at two different levels of power. SE says they are using 100% of PS3's power(obviously an exageration) but this hints that they are trying to use the most of the system.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

At first they say the game will be identical. Then they say the PS3 version will not be changed. This is a paradox, for they cannot be identical when the two systems are at two different levels of power. SE says they are using 100% of PS3's power(obviously an exageration) but this hints that they are trying to use the most of the system.

- There is no paradox, the so-called paradox comes from people thinking that PS3 is more powerful than the 360, when from what I know both systems are close in performance.

SE said the games will be indentical, meaning whatever they do as far as in-game assets (polygon counts, texture sizes, etc) can run on Xbox 360 without a need to change them, the only thing I think SE might have to do differently, is compress the videos for the cut-scenes for 360 maybe, if not they will use the same file type for video on both systems, so therefore the PS3 version will not have to be changed even if SE was developing the game with both systems in mind.

Like I said in my previous post SE are doing the PS3 first, then start development on the 360, if the PS3 version is done, (the japanese version) then SE won't be able to change the PS3 version, and like I said before they can just use the same assets and run the game on 360, the only difference will be multiple disks on 360, THATS IT!

Jeronimo66 said:

- There is no paradox, the so-called paradox comes from people thinking that PS3 is more powerful than the 360, when from what I know both systems are close in performance.

SE said the games will be indentical, meaning whatever they do as far as in-game assets (polygon counts, texture sizes, etc) can run on Xbox 360 without a need to change them, the only thing I think SE might have to do differently, is compress the videos for the cut-scenes for 360 maybe, if not they will use the same file type for video on both systems, so therefore the PS3 version will not have to be changed even if they were developing the game with both systems in mind.

Like I said in my previous post SE are doing the PS3 first, then start development on the 360, if the PS3 version is done, (the japanese version) then they won't be able to change the game, and like I said before they can just use the same assets and run the game on 360, the only difference will be multiple disks on 360, THATS IT!

This isn't even an argument of which system is more powerful than the other. This is purely based on the fact the architectures are so different. We have seen what happens when you utilize the full specs of one system. MP cannot do this for the whole perk of being MP is that you can be easily translated. No matter which way you are porting, it cannot be an even swap.

SE said they are using full specs of PS3

SE says the PS3 version will not be affected by the 360 version

SE says that the two versions will be equal

SE is PORTING FFXIII to the 360

360 version will not start until the PS3 version has released.

Ok, one or more of these has to be a lie in order for the others to be true. You cannot use full specs, not alter one, andthey still be equal. They are just trying to quell the massive mob of people who would hate them even more if they said otherwise. They are trying to tell us what we want to hear, even though it may not be true.

Also I REALLY dont believe they will not be starting the 360 version till the PS3 version is done. There is no set way of knowing how long it will take unless you started already and are able to budget how progress is going.Progress has to start in order to do that. Plus, it would be really stupid to not start on it as soon as possible. If they dont then it could possibly hinder the release of the entire game, which HAS to release similtaneously on PS3 and 360 in america. If they said that the 360 shant effect the PS3 ver then this simply cannot be as well. This pretty much kills the fact that they are telling the truth about everything.

Greatness Awaits

Also I REALLY dont believe they will not be starting the 360 version till the PS3 version is done. There is no set way of knowing how long it will take unless you started already and are able to budget how progress is going.Progress has to start in order to do that. Plus, it would be really stupid to not start on it as soon as possible. If they dont then it could possibly hinder the release of the entire game, which HAS to release similtaneously on PS3 and 360 in america. If they said that the 360 shant effect the PS3 ver then this simply cannot be as well. This pretty much kills the fact that they are telling the truth about everything.

- There in lies your problem, the developers specifically said that the PS3 version will be completed before they start work on the 360, if you don't believe the developers then the discussion is over, as I believe SE because what they say makes sense to me.

Jeronimo66 said:

- There in lies your problem, the developers specifically said that the PS3 version will be completed before they start work on the 360, if you don't believe the developers then the discussion is over, as I believe SE because what they say makes sense to me.

I guess I can agree with you on that point. If I dont trust their word fully then their really is no point in arguing about the validity of their statements ^^

I just dont see how they can possibly be doing all those things when they so strongly conflict with one another.

Greatness Awaits