By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Final Fantasy XIII Demo is 5.9GB

I understand where you are coming from, but the game will be fine, don't believe all this stuff about them downgrading the game because of the 360, the game looks cinematic and is the most beautiful game I have ever seen the thing looks like a dream, but you are playing it.

Around the Network
Jeronimo66 said:
I understand where you are coming from, but the game will be fine, don't believe all this stuff about them downgrading the game because of the 360, the game looks cinematic and is the most beautiful game I have ever seen the thing looks like a dream, but you are playing it.

Dont take this the wrong way but the reason why most 360 owners(making the assumption because you have a singular gamertag in ur sig) don't want to believe that SE has screwed the PS3 version of this game in some way shape or form(as noted before) is because the fact that they brought it to 360 means that you get to play it without owning a PS3. Its the greatest thing in the world for a fan of the series who didnt want to have to get a PS3 for it. Yet for those of us who own a PS3 and were looking forward to it, we can see where it is effecting our version of the game in many ways.

I am not bashing the fact that it is MP, but the fact that 360 is affecting my PS3 version, plain and simple. All MP titles have an effect on their respecting platforms, which is the reason they will always be inferior to an exclusive game.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

twesterm said:

I am willing to bet that when the demo lands on PSN it isn't going to be nearly 6 gigs.

Remember, publishers have to pay something like 16 cents for every gig downloaded. With all the money spent on this game, do you really think SE wants to spend nearly $1 for every person that downloads the demo?

If demo hits PSN I bet we will have to pay something like 5-10$ for it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

thetonestarr said:
JamesCizuz said:
Sigh. A blu-ray disc holds 25 Gb of data. A dual layer holds 50 GB, and the PS3 can support up to 32 layers(confirmed by pioneer), right now only 4 layer discs exist for production. There is absolutely no way for it to use more then one disc on PS3, why do people keep thinking it will?

First off, that was Blu-Ray - not PS3. While the PS3 is capable of playing blu-ray discs, it's not necessarily going to be able to play ANY blu-ray disc. Besides not having the proper firmware (without an upgrade, of course), the hardware may require higher quality mechanics than the PS3 uses (although that is highly unlikely).

Second off, it was 16 layers that Pioneer came up with - a 400GB disc. While there are plans to do as much as 40 layers, nothing greater than 16 layers has been produced yet.

First off, don't come and question me then say something inaccurate.

Second. PS3 is a blu-ray player, and it is a higher end BD player. In fact it was praised as the best when it came out, for being cheap and allowing for future expansion with firmware upgrades. Older BD players did not have BD live so can not be updated to newer firmware, thus they may never be able to read BD discs of higher layers then what they allowed when made.

Third, layers on a BD disc and DVD disc are much different. A DVD disc, everytime a layer is added, the speed drops considerably. A dual layer DVD disc reads at 1.1 MB/s, while a single layer disc reads at 1.6 MB/s. Why is it you don't see triple layer and more on DVD? Speeds are under standards. BD is a straight on read, higher intensity, and way the layers are stacked, only loses a small amount of read speed per layer. 4.5 MB/s(1x) for a single layer, and 4.48MB/s for a dual layer. By the time it's 32 layers you would still have a theoritical read rate of 3.80MB/s.

Fourth, Pioneer engineered a 16 layer disc, and stated 32 layers would be able to be read on any current BD player with BD live or ability to update firmware.

Stating it's possible and actually doing it are an entirely different thing. Pioneer has specifically stated that only 16-layer has been done; therefore, only 16-layer is confirmed.

Other than that, you just spouted a bunch of facts that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand, so I'm not really sure what to say about the rest.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
We have already had a thread on this very topic.

And we reached a conclusion. It will need 4 to 6 discs for the 360 version.

The 360 has compression going for it whereas the PS3 version doesn't have re-use data on every disc like the 360 version does.

This.

4 ≈ One

ruimartiniman said:

The Blu-Ray Disc holds 45.9GB of data on it. Final Fantasy: Advent Children Complete takes up about 30GB of that due to the fact that the video runs at 27.8MB/s and the audio tracks (one English, the other Japanese) both run at 1.9MB/s. Couple this with the trailers and excess data on the disc and it makes up about 40GB. So what fills the other 5.9GB of space? Why, the demo of course.

First, you're not forced to fill your Blu-Ray at full capacity and second :

Apparently, the demo is not even on the same disc as the movie. This rumor fails.

Signature goes here!

forevercloud3000 said:
Jeronimo66 said:

Dont take this the wrong way but the reason why most 360 owners(making the assumption because you have a singular gamertag in ur sig) don't want to believe that SE has screwed the PS3 version of this game in some way shape or form(as noted before) is because the fact that they brought it to 360 means that you get to play it without owning a PS3. Its the greatest thing in the world for a fan of the series who didnt want to have to get a PS3 for it. Yet for those of us who own a PS3 and were looking forward to it, we can see where it is effecting our version of the game in many ways.

I am not bashing the fact that it is MP, but the fact that 360 is affecting my PS3 version, plain and simple. All MP titles have an effect on their respecting platforms, which is the reason they will always be inferior to an exclusive game.

Believe it or not 360 is not causing games on ps3 to be downgraded.

This can't be true. There's not that many art assets in the demo, which means that the majority of those 5GBs would be just the game engine.

If this were the case, a 360 version would actually be impossible. Each disc would need the engine on, leaving only ~2GBs for each segment the actual game. The 360 version would need like 30+ discs if this were true, and you'd be swapping to the next one every hour or two.

As this clearly won't be the case, I'm calling BS on this story.

the game is really not that big. Developers put duplicate data on the blu ray to make up for its crappy transfer rate.

The 360 wont need this hence smaller game size.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad