By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Offical March NPD Thread (Data in 4 hours)

Dark Chaos said:
darthdevidem01 said:

puh lease RPG

Dropping the price by $100 may lead to a sales increase for those games note "MAY" but will cause FAR MORE LOSSES

we are in a r ecession.....think practically

PS3 is not doing as bad as 2007....hence its price is fine.....

How is it fine??

20 minutes ago, ppl were talking about how the

"PS3 is selling close to the 360 considering its price is fine" --line

and now its changed to

"PS3 is not doing as bad as 2007....hence its price is fine...."

I'm curious why it's 2007... and not like... 2008.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Dark Chaos said:
darthdevidem01 said:

puh lease RPG

Dropping the price by $100 may lead to a sales increase for those games note "MAY" but will cause FAR MORE LOSSES

How is it fine??

20 minutes ago, ppl were talking about how the

"PS3 is selling close to the 360 considering its price is fine" --line

and now its changed to

"PS3 is not doing as bad as 2007....hence its price is fine...."

I'm curious why it's 2007... and not like... 2008.

Cause its doing worse than 2008?? Not to mention the PS2, and PSP have dropped huge from 2008. PS2 dropped 50% and PSP a lot too.

darthdevidem01 said:
NJ5 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
i see why sony is in no hurry to cut the ps3 price. they should just wait till the end of the year now and do a $100 drop then. xbox 360 is only outselling it by 25-30k per week which really is fuck all when you look at the price difference and 3 ps3 games in the top 10 also which means its showing growth.

25-30k per week is 1.3-1.6 million per year before even accounting for the holiday boost...

yeah but do you really think SONY thinks NA can be won over

NA is the only region for PS3 which is lost

EU PS3 will take over easily.....Japan it has

but NA is lost....and has been since 2007 in fact

Personally i think PS3 has lost here in Europe too.

People don't associate the PS3 as something "cool" here. Image has so much to do with sales. Wii has the "cool" image and is why it is selling like hot cakes. The 360 has the "gamer" image. If i compare my friends who have been gamers since the NES era very few have PS3's. I think that is a trend that will remain. Europe and NA are very similar in terms of what games we like.

If you look at figures just for the 4 months here in UK you see PS3 sold just 190k where as 360 sold 317k. If you compare that to same period last year PS3 sold 283k while 360 sold 241k. Meaning year over year here in UK PS3 dropped sales by 32% while 360 grew by  31%.

A price drop really would help the PS3 to sell more but for it to increase by 32% just to get back on par with last years sales will need a massive price cut.

And basically i just can't see that happening.

To those people saying I told you so regarding the 360 figures please consider the following.  A lot of PS3 fans in early 2008 would spend every month saying wait for NPD as they didn't trust the sites figures, when 360 fans start doing the same it winds me up.  I'm pro 360 despite being a multiplatform owner but given we're posting on a site that works hard to give us figures which can never be 100% accurate given they're estimates, it's disrespectful to a degree to constantly question them.  I appreciate a minority of Sony fans may have set themselves up to have their face rubbed in it this week though with their behaviour when the 360 was adjusted down recently.

As for the figures, not really that surprising except RE5 which I really am surprised to see the 360 version selling as well as the PS3 (relatively speaking attachment wise).  PS3 still needs a price cut but I honestly think Sony will surrender market share in the US to try and build a bigger EU base when they can afford the drop.  Wii as usual selling great, isn't this supposed to be a barren spell on software for the Wii yet it's still mopping the floor with the HD twins.

Any news on GTA : China town wars numbers?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

SO what adjustments will be happening?

@hyruken

oh PS3 will take back europe with ease

if we align launches PS3 is around 1 million or even more ahead of xbox 360 despite launching at more than double its price

also GT 5 is a really big there.....making a decision on PS3's fate there is silly without its release

it would be like deciding the outcome of 360's sales in america without seeing what HAlo 3 could do for it..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
RPG said:
darthdevidem01 said:
RPG said:
Sony will be crawling around on the floor having seen these numbers, all these months of low software sales will only bring that price drop closer and closer. One needs a PS3 to play PS3 games, Sony need the $100 sooner rather then later.

One thing is for sure, release GT5 with the console still $400 = Sony are officially retarded

SONY can't drop the price till next year simple as that

for SONY as long as 2007 numbers don't come back they are happy

What job do you have at Sony? Hardware has gone cheaper since last year and fact of the matter is that huge software is coming, $100 price cut will happen this year.

Dropping the price by $100 will increase sales for Uncharted 2, GT5, Heavy Rain, MAG, Ratchet and Clank 2 etc since more people have the console.....it's a risk which has to be taken. Let;s not forget all the multi-plat games.

puh lease RPG

WOW.......just WOW. You really think Sony are saying "hey don't worry about this month 2007 was much worse"? So much has changed since then, the big one being many more games releasing on the PS3 by first parties.

I don't even have to say "may" come to think of it, a price cut WILL increase software sales. Kas huge software is coming this year.....it's a fact. :/

Good to see VGChartz own resident comedian Hyruken has come for the NPD numbers. A price cut and PS3 would overtake 360 again the EU no problem, remember UK =/= EU it's part of EU. Even in that region a price cut would put PS3 very close to 360 if not a head.

darthdevidem01 said:
@hyruken

oh PS3 will take back europe with ease

if we align launches PS3 is around 1 million or even more ahead of xbox 360 despite launching at more than double its price

also GT 5 is a really big there.....making a decision on PS3's fate there is silly without its release

it would be like deciding the outcome of 360's sales in america without seeing what HAlo 3 could do for it..

The problem with aligning launches is that it doesn't align endings.  The PS3 and 360 should roughly end around the same time.  So aligning launches is silly.

psrock said:
Any news on GTA : China town wars numbers?

It bombed. DS doesn't sell third-party games confirmed.