By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

BTFeather55 said:

Pitfall had gold bars, silver bars, rings, and bags of money to collect.  The world was far bigger.  It had swings to swing on, snakes, scorpions, and fire to leap over.  Alligator heads to jump upon.

Did any of those items do anything, or were they just there to collect?  Because Donkey Kong had items to collect (Pauline's hat, umbrella, and handbag), but Donkey Kong also had the hammer, which was a badass power-up that let you fight back.

Donkey Kong had conveyor belts to ride on, vertically moving platforms to ride on, and barrels, fireballs, and pies to jump over, and even bouncing springs to run under as well. 

Donkey Kong's 4th level has the rivets in the building for you to remove to destroy the building and defeat Donkey Kong.  So there are ways to change the environment, not to mention a boss to battle, and an ending.

The only thing Pitfall has going for it in a Donkey Kong comparison is the swinging on the vine.

The sound effect when you die in Pitfall is even the same jingle that starts Donkey Kong, but faster and missing the last note.  I like David Crane though, so I'll assume it was a DK tribute.

Around the Network

I'm sorry dude. The NES is the best game system ever. Period. End of story.

Carl2291 said:
Ill stand by my decision and say...
PS3 60gig b/c

By using the logic that other consoles' libraries can be considered, the argument can be made that the Wii is considerable since it's a Gamecube, a Wii and the Virtual Console all in one, and then ultimately the PC just rapes everything since it can emulate every console and handheld from the beginning of time all throughout the fifth generation. Some can emulate further than that too.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Carl2291 said:
PS3 60gig b/c

By using the logic that other consoles' libraries can be considered, the argument can be made that the Wii is considerable since it's a Gamecube, a Wii and the Virtual Console all in one, and then ultimately the PC just rapes everything since it can emulate every console and handheld from the beginning of time all throughout the fifth generation. Some can emulate further than that too.

I knew someone would bring that up eventually

Although it is a really good point.

And does the PC count as a "console" or as a gaming "platform"... i get confused between the 2 sometimes.

Yep, Atari was there first and did everthing better. Pitfall, River Raid, Enduro. No Nintendo games come close.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Carl2291 said:
PS3 60gig b/c

And does the PC count as a "console" or as a gaming "platform"... i get confused between the 2 sometimes.

I suppose it's a platform, but it's still best to let each console's original lineup speak for itself. Giving PS3 credit for the PSOne and PS2's lineup makes each of those two consoles essentially worthless. Also if that's supposed to be the best console ever, it's particularly sad that it only sold like what...maybe 8 million units?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Carl2291 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Carl2291 said:
PS3 60gig b/c

I suppose it's a platform, but it's still best to let each console's original lineup speak for itself. Giving PS3 credit for the PSOne and PS2's lineup makes each of those two consoles essentially worthless. Also if that's supposed to be the best console ever, it's particularly sad that it only sold like what...maybe 8 million units?

You have a good point.

And the fact is that i chose PS3 60gig simply for the amount of PSOne/PS2 games that could be played, il change my opinion and say the PSOne instead though

BTFeather55 said:
Yep, Atari was there first and did everthing better. Pitfall, River Raid, Enduro. No Nintendo games come close.

I want you to imagine me finding a pair of glasses.

I put the glasses on.

I look at this post.

Then I take them off.

My eyes narrow.

Listen to me, thanks to the NES we had Genesis, SNES and PS1/PS2. So have more respect do ya? These consoles wouldn't have been around if it wasn't for the NES and how it changed the market. Not everything is about graphics and huges libraries. Is about making changes and the NES did it waaaaaay better than the 16 bits twins and the PS brand.

And FYI, yes Pitfall was first than SMB but which one does people remember? Pitfall? I don't think so.

So think twice before giving an "opinion" ok kid?

Of all your pathetic posts this one is the winner. Congratulations.