By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
BTFeather55 said:
BTFeather55 said:
Xen said:
Atari? better than NES?

what did you take before you posted that?

People always want to prop up the NES and Mario as something great.  You know who did platforming just as well first?

Pitfall Harry on the Atari 2600 in Pitfall and the not as well known but absoloutely brilliant sequel Pitfall II:  The Lost Caverns.

Pitfall came out on the 2600 a whole year after Donkey Kong came out in the arcades.  It was called catching up with the platforming phenomenon, and sucking at it.

Only Atari 2600 game my friends and I still play is 4-player Warlords.  Haven't done it in a while though, but it rules.  There are a few other classics I need to eventually get my hands on though.

No, Pitfall didn't suck at platforming.  It was clearly superior to the original Mario Brothers and the 2600's version of Donkey Kong.  It also introduced item collection to platforming.

Pitfall II was even better. 

I'm not talking about the 2600 version of Donkey Kong or the arcade version of Mario Bros.  I'm talking about the arcade version of Donkey Kong, which was superior to Pitfall and came out earlier.  Of course the 2600 version of Donkey Kong sucked.  The 2600 couldn't handle the glory of Donkey Kong, and brought it down to Pitfall's level of slow awkward jumps.

Donkey Kong had hammers, conveyor belts, vertically moving platforms, and moving objects all over the screen.

Please tell me how Pitfall was superior.

Here are some reminders:

The videos don't work for me.  Pitfall had gold bars, silver bars, rings, and bags of money to collect.  The world was far bigger.  It had swings to swing on, snakes, scorpions, and fire to leap over.  Alligator heads to jump upon.

Pitfall II added swimming, a much more structured world, you had to collect Harry's cougar pal and niece from the cartoon too, balloons to latch on to to take you to higher hidden paths, condors, bats, and frogs to avoid.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

SNES is the greatest of all time. All others answers are epic failure.

/thread

You sir, have an opinion. It differs from other opinions. You can't discredit another opinion with an opinion.

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

DaveD said:
You sir, have an opinion. It differs from other opinions. You can't discredit another opinion with an opinion.

Cable television argues otherwise!

noname2200 said:
DaveD said:

I have Sattelite television...

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Around the Network
DaveD said:
noname2200 said:
DaveD said:

Then you still have Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc. My point stands.

BTFeather55 said:
BTFeather55 said:
Xen said:
Atari? better than NES?

what did you take before you posted that?

People always want to prop up the NES and Mario as something great.  You know who did platforming just as well first?

Pitfall Harry on the Atari 2600 in Pitfall and the not as well known but absoloutely brilliant sequel Pitfall II:  The Lost Caverns.

Pitfall came out on the 2600 a whole year after Donkey Kong came out in the arcades.  It was called catching up with the platforming phenomenon, and sucking at it.

Only Atari 2600 game my friends and I still play is 4-player Warlords.  Haven't done it in a while though, but it rules.  There are a few other classics I need to eventually get my hands on though.

No, Pitfall didn't suck at platforming.  It was clearly superior to the original Mario Brothers and the 2600's version of Donkey Kong.  It also introduced item collection to platforming.

Pitfall II was even better.

You have got to be kidding me.  Pitfall was one of the few games on the Atari that I did NOT enjoy.  It was just sooooo bad.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

noname2200 said:
DaveD said:
noname2200 said:
DaveD said:

Then you still have Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc. My point stands.

I can have it but not watch it? >_>

AHAHAH YESSSS thats really funny way to put it.

BTFeather55 said:

Because the Atari 2600, PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, PS1, and PS2 were all better systems.

Were you stoned when you mentioned that one?

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!