By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

BTFeather55 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:

And how many of you didn't start seriously playing video games until well after the Crash of '84?  'Nuff Said. 

The "you had to have been there, man..." argument was already defeated. Acording to your logic, I have no right to claim Alien as one of my favorite movies because I never saw it in theaters.

Movies are a diiferent medium that isn't dependent so much on the tech in the projectors to play them.

That's a pitiful excuse, stop dodging the argument.

I'm not dodging the argument.  Casablance looks about as good on a dvd player as it does on a 35 mm roll.  However, a video game from one era probably won't look as good as one from a more recent era but that doesn't mean the game  wasn't as good or as innovative in its time as later games with better graphics.  Just ask Wii fans.

Absolutely wrong.  I just saw Casablanca on a 35mm print a few weeks ago.

Digital technology is improving quickly, but we're not at the point where ones and zeroes can contain as much information as actual film emulsions.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Holy shit.  This guy is A SINGLE YEAR older than Hawk, and still pulling the "you were too young to be around man" argument.

Depending on when their birthdays are, he's between 1 and 364 days older.  And that makes his opinion BETTER.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1979922

There's precedence for this kind of silliness. I say walk away.

'Cause I'm out.

The whole argument is lose-lose. Trying to argue opinions is pointless especially against BTFeather. Let him just sit in his make believe world with his horrible views that barely anyone else shares. He might as well believe the earth was created 5,000 years ago.

BTFeather55 said:
redspear said:
Those games appeared first on the Arcade. Once again tehy were in the arcade. I know this because i practically lived there back then.

You said:

"The first time playing Dragon Warrior or Ultima, games like Mega Man and Contra or Ghost and Goblins. The number of memorable or good games were just to numerous to compare."

Several Ultima games appeared on PCs before they were on the NES.  And Contra and Ghosts and Goblins were also arcade games. 

You slight the 2600 for one of its most redeeming qualities then turn around and praise the NES for it.

No no no YOU are the only one here with the double standard.  He is arguing with YOUR double standard.

You say that the 2600 gets to count as part of the Golden Age of ARCADE Games.  Everybody disagrees because you're wrong.

You're the one who says the NES ports of arcade games or PC games don't count and 2600 ports of arcade games do.

I know it must be hard for you to juggle so many losing arguments at once.  You must be getting confused.

Khuutra said:

Holy shit.  This guy is A SINGLE YEAR older than Hawk, and still pulling the "you were too young to be around man" argument.

Depending on when their birthdays are, he's between 1 and 364 days older.  And that makes his opinion BETTER.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1979922

There's precedence for this kind of silliness. I say walk away.

'Cause I'm out.

Aha!  It's that guy!

Thank you Khuutra.

Arguing with him really is just like 2:15 and onward from this video:

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:

Because the Atari 2600, PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, PS1, and PS2 were all better systems.

You dun bowl'd us ovur wit dat dem logic stuf.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

you forgot the xbox 360!!! but anyways it all depends on what games you like. The NES is definatly up there for me

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

luinil said:
The main problem with the thread is not the claim that the Atari 2600 is the best. It is that this thread was in response to another thread that claimed the NES can be called the best. This thread is saying absolutely, that it cannot. This is why most of us have beat our heads against a wall to no avail. The premise of this thread is wrong, plain and simple. Good day.

Exactly

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

And how many of you didn't start seriously playing video games until well after the Crash of '84?  'Nuff Said. 

I played well before the crash myself.  Though, somehow I don't think that makes my opinions Absolute.

Well, you would have been 9 during the crash which means you probably didn't play them that much before the crash occurred.  There is the chance that the NES just made a bigger impression on you with its better graphics, etc.I was 12 in 1984, and I received my 2600 when I was eight, and I read most of the big game magazines of the day, so the games I wanted were generally the most critically appreciated of the time.

I think you would get the following results if you conducted a poll of video game players to get their opinion on what was the greatest video gme system ever made.

36 and older with experience playing most of the games from the Golden Age of Videogames (1979 to 1983) Atari 2600

35 to 30 Atari 2600 or NES

30 and below one of Nintendo's or Sony's systems with the xbox getting a lot of votes as well.

I'm more than 1 year older than Hawk.  His profile says he is 34.  I was born in December 1972.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

I played well before the crash myself.  Though, somehow I don't think that makes my opinions Absolute.

Well, you would have been 9 during the crash which means you probably didn't play them that much before the crash occurred.  There is the chance that the NES just made a bigger impression on you with its better graphics, etc.I was 12 in 1984, and I received my 2600 when I was eight, and I read most of the big game magazines of the day, so the games I wanted were generally the most critically appreciated of the time.

I think you would get the following results if you conducted a poll of video game players to get their opinion on what was the greatest video gme system ever made.

36 and older with experience playing most of the games from the Golden Age of Videogames (1979 to 1983) Atari 2600

35 to 30 Atari 2600 or NES

30 and below one of Nintendo's or Sony's systems with the xbox getting a lot of votes as well.

I'm more than 1 year older than Hawk.  His profile says he is 34.  I was born in December 1972.

Your profile says you're 35.  But you're 36!?!?  You had us all fooled!  Now your argument works!  You changed my mind!

::runs into a dragon wall::