By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:

And how many of you didn't start seriously playing video games until well after the Crash of '84?  'Nuff Said. 

The "you had to have been there, man..." argument was already defeated. Acording to your logic, I have no right to claim Alien as one of my favorite movies because I never saw it in theaters.

Movies are a diiferent medium that isn't dependent so much on the tech in the projectors to play them.

That's a pitiful excuse, stop dodging the argument.

I'm not dodging the argument.  Casablance looks about as good on a dvd player as it does on a 35 mm roll.  However, a video game from one era probably won't look as good as one from a more recent era but that doesn't mean the game  wasn't as good or as innovative in its time as later games with better graphics.  Just ask Wii fans.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:
errr.... The golden age of video games??? I think that would be the NES/SNES days... Gaming just started during the late 70's-early 80's... How could it have reached its peak so quickly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Video_Arcade_Games

Arcade.

Yeah that doesnt apply to the home consoles.

It applies to home consoles when you're talking about the 2600 because as I said before most of these games saw their first appearance on home consoles on the 2600 and Atari Company made many of these games.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:
errr.... The golden age of video games??? I think that would be the NES/SNES days... Gaming just started during the late 70's-early 80's... How could it have reached its peak so quickly?

Arcade.

It applies to home consoles when you're talking about the 2600 because as I said before most of these games saw their first appearance on home consoles on the 2600 and Atari Company made many of these games.

No, this article clearly speaks about the golden age of Arcade games where Arcade was at its peak of popularity.

atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:

Arcade.

No, this article clearly speaks about the golden age of Arcade games where Arcade was at its peak of popularity.

Yes, however, several of these games were made or published by Atari, and several of them had their first home appearance on the 2600.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:

Arcade.

Yes, however, several of these games were made or published by Atari, and several of them had their first home appearance on the 2600.

Nooo, the were PORTED to the 2600, but none of them debued there.

Enough of this. You got upset because someone said that the NES was the greatest system ever, so you made a thread saying how it couldn't be and all that you've accomplished is making yourself look like an arrogant jackass. If you don't like someone saying something you disagree with, ignore them! You can't make someone change their views over the internet, so don't even try it, much less make a thread about it. Hell, I think every frat boy should have their teeth pulled out without novicaine while being aggressivly anal-raped with barbed-wire dildos whilst their parents are tourtured infront of them, but you don't see me making a thread about it, because I know no one will care!

No one is saying that you can't have your own opinions about the 2600, but trying to force them upon others or trying convince others to share your beliefs is just foolish.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

Around the Network
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:

Arcade.

Nooo, the were PORTED to the 2600, but none of them debued there.

Enough of this. You got upset because someone said that the NES was the greatest system ever, so you made a thread saying how it couldn't be and all that you've accomplished is making yourself look like an arrogant jackass. If you don't like someone saying something you disagree with, ignore them! You can't make someone change their views over the internet, so don't even try it, much less make a thread about it. Hell, I think every frat boy should have their teeth pulled out without novicaine while being aggressivly anal-raped with barbed-wire dildos whilst their parents are tourtured infront of them, but you don't see me making a thread about it, because I know no one will care!

No one is saying that you can't have your own opinions about the 2600, but trying to force them upon others or trying convince others to share your beliefs is just foolish.

I'm not forcing my opinions on you.  You're coming to my thread that says the NES isn't the greatest console ever made and trying to force your opinions down my throat.

You know, kind of like a lot of you are saying the Wii is trying to introduce a whole new audience to videogames, well the 2600 introduced the very first audience to video games.  And a lot of people bought the 2600 to play those arcade games.  If you don't get that the Atari 2600 and the arcade games of those days were inextricably linked, then you just don't get the 2600.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
I would think that most people posting on this site are under 30. Therefore, you have candy coated memories of how great the NES was. If you were born in the seventies instead of the eighties and had 2600s in their peak years, you will acknowledge that no home videogame hardware ever passed the 2600 in its prime.

I was born in 75 I am definitely over 30. I started gaming on the TRS-80 where I fast forwarded and rewinded data tapes to play Shark! and DK! in glorious black and white and the 2600 when I was around 5. I remember and played all of the games you mentioned. I killed more time on river raid than I care to remember. I wasted a ton of time on Spy hunter and begged for tons of quarters for Tempest and the wireframe Star Wars game. I dropped a ton of quarters in Pitfall two but never finished it. Even spent a ton on later games like Cadash in the Arcades.

Yes games like Berserk were fun I loved those game systems. Then the crash happened gaming had changed. Basically there is no way the Atari 2600 was better then the NES even with Nostalgia as afactor. There are far fewer games on the 2600 which give that nostalgia feeling compared to the NES. The sheer number of games as well as the Variety. The first time playing Dragon Warrior or Ultima, games like Mega Man and Contra or Ghost and Goblins. The number of memorable or good games were just to numerous to compare.

redspear said:
BTFeather55 said:
I would think that most people posting on this site are under 30. Therefore, you have candy coated memories of how great the NES was. If you were born in the seventies instead of the eighties and had 2600s in their peak years, you will acknowledge that no home videogame hardware ever passed the 2600 in its prime.

I was born in 75 I am definitely over 30. I started gaming on the TRS-80 where I fast forwarded and rewinded data tapes to play Shark! and DK! in glorious black and white and the 2600 when I was around 5. I remember and played all of the games you mentioned. I killed more time on river raid than I care to remember. I wasted a ton of time on Spy hunter and begged for tons of quarters for Tempest and the wireframe Star Wars game. I dropped a ton of quarters in Pitfall two but never finished it. Even spent a ton on later games like Cadash in the Arcades.

Yes games like Berserk were fun I loved those game systems. Then the crash happened gaming had changed. Basically there is no way the Atari 2600 was better then the NES even with Nostalgia as afactor. There are far fewer games on the 2600 which give that nostalgia feeling compared to the NES. The sheer number of games as well as the Variety. The first time playing Dragon Warrior or Ultima, games like Mega Man and Contra or Ghost and Goblins. The number of memorable or good games were just to numerous to compare.

I've got 64 games in my game collection that beg to differ.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Those games appeared first on the Arcade. Once again tehy were in the arcade. I know this because i practically lived there back then.

The NES and Shigeru Miyamoto saved the gaming industry. I think that's a good enough reason to name it the best console.