By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

errr.... The golden age of video games??? I think that would be the NES/SNES days... Gaming just started during the late 70's-early 80's... How could it have reached its peak so quickly?

Around the Network
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:

And how many of you didn't start seriously playing video games until well after the Crash of '84?  'Nuff Said. 

The "you had to have been there, man..." argument was already defeated. Acording to your logic, I have no right to claim Alien as one of my favorite movies because I never saw it in theaters.

Movies are a diiferent medium that isn't dependent so much on the tech in the projectors to play them.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

NES was the best thing ever created then the GameBoy.

luinil said:
errr.... The golden age of video games??? I think that would be the NES/SNES days... Gaming just started during the late 70's-early 80's... How could it have reached its peak so quickly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Video_Arcade_Games

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:

And how many of you didn't start seriously playing video games until well after the Crash of '84?  'Nuff Said. 

The "you had to have been there, man..." argument was already defeated. Acording to your logic, I have no right to claim Alien as one of my favorite movies because I never saw it in theaters.

Movies are a diiferent medium that isn't dependent so much on the tech in the projectors to play them.

That's a pitiful excuse, stop dodging the argument.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

I played well before the crash myself.  Though, somehow I don't think that makes my opinions Absolute.

Well, you would have been 9 during the crash which means you probably didn't play them that much before the crash occurred.  There is the chance that the NES just made a bigger impression on you with its better graphics, etc.I was 12 in 1984, and I received my 2600 when I was eight, and I read most of the big game magazines of the day, so the games I wanted were generally the most critically appreciated of the time.

I think you would get the following results if you conducted a poll of video game players to get their opinion on what was the greatest video gme system ever made.

36 and older with experience playing most of the games from the Golden Age of Videogames (1979 to 1983) Atari 2600

35 to 30 Atari 2600 or NES

30 and below one of Nintendo's or Sony's systems with the xbox getting a lot of votes as well.

Yeah, I received my Atari 2600 when I was 7 and was 10 in 1984.  Ok.

Dude, you say blanket statements and then put a lot of conditions on them.  If what you really mean to say is "Atari 2600 is the best video game console ever to people of my generation, and when not comparing it's games to games that came out 8 years or more later."  Then just say that in the beginning.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I am done with this thread, and here is why:

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:

Arcade.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

theRepublic said:

I done with this thread, and here is why:

Yeah... I can't believe how much time I have wasted in this thread. Pointless.

Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
luinil said:

Arcade.

Yeah that doesnt apply to the home consoles.