By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can't be considered to be the best videogame console ever.

BTFeather55 said:

Yeah, well, I equally don't looking on this site and seeing threads like "NES can Be Considered to be the best video game console of All Time" when it isn't.

The NES certainly can be considered that.  You saying that it absolutely cannot be, is wrong.  Could the Atari 2600 be considered the best video game console of all time.  Sure, but not by most of the people here.  Likely not the view of most people in general.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:

I guess I have to agree with the believers then.  But even if I give you Mario being superior to Pitfall, I really haven't seen one shred of evidence to contradict the notion that the 2600 had far better shooters coming from the early age of arcade than the shooters that were available on the NES.  Megalomania, Missle Command, Moon Patrol, Atlantis, Yar's Revenge, Centipede, Phoenix, Berzerk, Vanguard, Defender, Space Invaders, Asteroids, River Raid those games were never matched by any shooters on the NES.

The NES never had a racer the equal of Enduro either.

So, that still adds up to the 2600 being better than the NES. 

No way man.  RC Pro-Am was a far better racer than Enduro.  Not that I didn't like Enduro.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

I guess I have to agree with the believers then.  But even if I give you Mario being superior to Pitfall, I really haven't seen one shred of evidence to contradict the notion that the 2600 had far better shooters coming from the early age of arcade than the shooters that were available on the NES.  Megalomania, Missle Command, Moon Patrol, Atlantis, Yar's Revenge, Centipede, Phoenix, Berzerk, Vanguard, Defender, Space Invaders, Asteroids, River Raid those games were never matched by any shooters on the NES.

No way man.  RC Pro-Am was a far better racer than Enduro.  Not that I didn't like Enduro.

I don't know about that I don't ever remember playing RC Pro Am.  However

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/2600/enduro.html

And much like modern 360 games.  2600 games had achievements (something Nintendo games have always lacked), and if you could beat five days on Enduro and took a pic of it, you could send it off to Actvision and get your patch showing you were a true racer.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Well it seems that BTFeather55 favourite games are clearly on the 2600... hearing him he most really enjoyed the 2600...

Favourite games????

...Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Casltevania, Earthbound Mother, Metal Gear Solid

>_>
<_<

nevermind...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

BTFeather55 said:

Because the Atari 2600, PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, PS1, and PS2 were all better systems.

Remind me of the reasons why the Genesis/MegaDrive is a better system than the NES was.   Remove the graphics factor, for example, and explain why.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
BTFeather55 said:

Because the Atari 2600, PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, PS1, and PS2 were all better systems.

Remind me of the reasons why the Genesis/MegaDrive is a better system than the NES was.   Remove the graphics factor, for example, and explain why.

All the games from Treasure.  Better versions of games that were on the NES like Castlevania:  Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps.  Sega's awesome arcade classics.  Golden Axe. Strider.  More complete rpgs:  Shining Force and Phantasy Star series.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

This is the dark side
Join the light side http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=68154&page=1

BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

And much like modern 360 games.  2600 games had achievements (something Nintendo games have always lacked), and if you could beat five days on Enduro and took a pic of it, you could send it off to Actvision and get your patch showing you were a true racer.

No, just that you wasted your time.

Face it, your entire argument has been disected and disposed of; all you're doing now is changing the focus: "Atari was better because it had a superfouose achivement system and it had better shooters" Ever hear of contra, gradius, life-force?

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

Face it, your entire argument has been disected and disposed of; all you're doing now is changing the focus: "Atari was better because it had a superfouose achivement system and it had better shooters" Ever hear of contra, gradius, life-force?

There wouldn't have been any shooters if it wasn't for the popularity of those on the 2600.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Fossil said:
BTFeather55 said:
Hawk said:
BTFeather55 said:

There wouldn't have been any shooters if it wasn't for the popularity of those on the 2600.

There wouldn't have been any shooters if it wasn't for the popularity of those in the arcade.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)