By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Of everyone who bashes Lair, who has actually played it?

Red Steel was probably the most defended Wii game. I don't ever recall anyone ever claiming that Red Steel was a great game, only biased reviewers didn't like it, or that people were being too hard on it. Most of what people said was that it was a game that had potential, felt rushed and if you could get passed its flaws there was a lot of enjoyment to be had with it; in particular, you might enjoy it if you were a FPS fan because it was (at the time) the best FPS game on the Wii.

People also defended Mario Party 8 by (typically) claiming that the reviewers are correct in saying that the series doesn't change much from version to version, the Minigames in Mario Party 8 were repetative and not as good as earlier games in the series and the single player game was lacking BUT the game was still an excellent multiplayer game and unless you owned every version of Mario Party the other flaws would not be that noticeable.

Basically, people looked at the reviews and agreed with the problems (or at least acknowleged them) and made a rational argument as to why the game was still good or at least why you may still enjoy it.

The general defence of Lair is "Reviewers are Biased against the PS3"  ...

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Surprise, surprise, the Wii people trolling this thread which specifically asks for someone who has played the game have not played it.

Just a note: I would never have bothered saying anything in this topic if the OP hadn't been an ass.

Also, even if I did own a PS3 game I really doubt I'd waste my time renting this.  I would definitely give Heavenly Sword a rent but I would never touch this game.  The reviews have all said just about the same thing and they have been clear the game isn't good.  The only reasons it scored as high as it did is because it's pretty to look at and the music is good. 

Maybe i wont get this game....and save my money same as i am not getting Stranglehold anymore due to i cant be bothered with too many games with Warhawk,HeavenlySword and Folklore coming up i wont have time for LAIR.It looks amazing but i would prefer Analog controls for it or a choice between Analog and Sixaxis controls...i might get it preowned.

Or i will wait for Akuma's review.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I could care less whether the game is any good or not because I don't own a PS3. However I have seen the videos on Youtube showing the poor frame rates. If I paid 600 bucks so I could play it, I would be bent too. A game could be the greatest game of all time, but if it doesn't run smoothly, it just erks me to no end. That's why I have to wait until I get a new CPU before I play Bioshock. I have played it on the 360 and Ill be damned if I am going to play a half assed version on my PC.

See, guys, the things is (and I've already stated this multiple times) that I don't want reviews.  There are, indeed, dozens of them available to me at my leisure.  I am asking people who have played the game about how much time they put into it and what they expected from it before playing it.  I don't really care what your opinion of the game is, I want to know what conditions you were under when you came to your decision.  All reviews are biased, I just want people critical AND supportive of the game to tell me where they are comming from.  You have every right to love it and every right to despise it, what I care about is if you had those feelings before you picked up the controler or how long after that point it took to develop those feelings.  I'm interested in whther or not your expectations were met, not whether or not the game is good.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

Obviously if someone says they didn't like the game, it did not meet expectations.

The fact is, most of the world had expectations for this game. I would take any bad review as meaning it did not meet expectations, and that it won't meet expectations for most consumers.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Not true. If you expected the game to be bad and you had no fun, your expectations were fully met. You have such an... interesting deffinition of the word expectations. One I hardly expect to find in a dictionary.

And no, most of the world did not have expectations of this game. Not even most of the video gaming world did. A whole lot of gamers didn't know it existed or didn't care. And if we go by YOUR deffinition of expectation (one that must inherently be of a possitive nature) then most of the people on this site had no expectations for the game even before full reviews were available.

ChichiriMuyo said:
And no, most of the world did not have expectations of this game. Not even most of the video gaming world did. A whole lot of gamers didn't know it existed or didn't care.

Actuall, a lot of people did have very high expectations for this game and a lot of people knew about considering it was all the buzz at one of the past E3's.  Lair was supposed to be to the PS3 as SSBB is to the Wii.

ChichiriMuyo said:
All reviews are biased, I just want people critical AND supportive of the game to tell me where they are comming from.

So you want someone that liked the game to tell you that they liked the game, fuck the bad parts and the people that didn't like the game?

This thread is just obscene. If you have not played the game, then just be quiet. He is asking for opinions of people who have played the game.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

twestern, do you know what critical means there? It means I do want to hear from people who think the game is bad. What I want to hear isn't the problems the game has, I want to hear what people felt about the game before playing and how much time it took them to make a decision they were satisfied with.

It doesn't take a full review to do that, and in fact the first line of Rocket Pig's review indicates that he had high expectations. So while he had a full review, which I read, I actually got my question answer with only the first line. He, in essence, said: "I expected good, got bad."

But what I see from a lot of other people is that they expected bad and got it. I don't care about people's self-fulfilling prophesies. If you went into the experience without any belief that you were going to have a good time, say so. Let me know if your opinion is biased beyond the game's reach or because of it (such as in the case of Rocket Pig).

Because, let's be honest, a lot of people here wanted to hate this game. I'll tell you up front, there are games I want to hate before I even play them. That being the case, I'm pretty much never going to bring my opinion about, say, Halo 3 into a thread and throw it down like it has any merit. Why? Because it's not the kind of game I would like to begin with, so my opinion of it is tainted. 

And those are the exact sort of opinons I want to avoid here.  I don't care if you like it or hate it.  I will, in all liklihood, never even bother playing it.  What I'm looking for is how people came to their decision.