By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Of everyone who bashes Lair, who has actually played it?

Lair does have a quality soundtrack, I will give it credit for that.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
kber81 said:

@ akuma587

Can you access soundtrack without playing? or is there some ingame player?

Not that I know of.  Maybe you can unlock it after playing through the game or something?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

i finally got my copy, i'm enjoying it so far. i can't say it's perfect or anything, but it's certainly not a 4.9, that's bullshit. it looks pretty good so far but has some issues, i played through blazing angels using sixaxis so maybe i already had an edge, they're pretty similar. i'll say more after playing it through.

vizunary said:
i'll say more after playing it through.

I'm waiting for your score. I want a soundtrack but 4.9 is too low. If game is avarage I'll consider it as a next purchase.

I rented this game. I played it for about an hour and decided that was enough, and sent it back to gamefly since HS is next up in my Q. It's entirely possible the game could have gotten better or even worse, but I didn't feel like finding out. So my comments are based off the first couple of missions and the training mission.

The controls weren't too bad, but they are not my ideal way of playing a game. There were a couple of times out of habit where I tried to use the analog sticks to control flight. I was about 70% successful with the 180. I didn't notice any slowdowns or frame drops, and I was playing on a 1080P TV. My biggest issue with the game was that I had no sense of what I was supposed to do. Your leader does give you commands and stuff, but I felt like I was just flying around constantly spitting out fireballs and eventually the level would end. I never felt in danger that I was going to die, it was just kind of boring.

The game was always going to be a rental for me. Even before the reviews started surfacing, the idea of a dragon game didn't really appeal to me. However I did think it was at least going to be a solid title. Actually the poor reviews peaked my interest even more, so that is why I still rented it.

Around the Network

Dude, you get your ass kicked in some of the later missions (like level 7 or so, the light evasion one and in some of the intense fights in level 4,5,6), so dying is a threat. I am not sure how the game looks on a 1080p set. I honestly didn't find it that hard to get to the mission objectives. It tells you what you are supposed to do if you click the right analog, you can hit down on the D-pad and use your Rage vision to see objectives, AND you get a cursor arrow which points at the nearest objective.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@akuma587

Sorry bad use of words. Possibly because what I am trying to explain is difficult for me. I knew what my objectives were, however I felt uninvolved or little attachment to what the missions actually were. Like I said, I flew around, shot fireballs, and sooner or later the mission was over. As I said earlier I didn't think the controls were too bad and that is the majority of the criticism I have heard about this game. For me, it's probably just not my type of game.

Perhaps I should have given it more time. Often times when a game gets good reviews or good feedback from people I know, even if I am not particularly enjoying it I will play it out to see if things get better. Unfortunately Lair had neither. I don't have enough time to play the games I do enjoy, so I don't want to waste time playing games that I don't. I was tremendously bored, and was anxious to get HS shipped to me.

I will probably take another stab at it, sometime early next year when there are less new releases out.