By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Of everyone who bashes Lair, who has actually played it?

I was trying to tell you that pretty much everything in the reviews coincided with my own thoughts, and that if you wanted to know what was wrong with the game, then you could read any number of reviews out there, as they all happen to have the same or similar complaints about the game as I did. I didn't feel the need to type out the same old shizz that EVERYONE else who has played the game is saying. It seems to me that you are trying to find someone who will give you the opinion on the game that YOU WANT TO HEAR. 99 people could say the same thing everyone else did, and if 1 person raves about the game then I am sure you would be satisfied that he was right, they were wrong, and that is what you expected to hear in a critical rehash of the game.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Around the Network

Wii Play and Mario Party got ok reviews though, overall...a couple bad reviews could perhaps deserve complaints.

It's different when games like Boogie and Lair get overall bad reviews.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I would also trust a collective average of reviews from gamerankings and metacritic before random people on a forum. Alot of people will want to justify anything sony, just because they feel like the odds are against them...also trying to justify a the 60$ they dropped on the game too, I don't wouldnt want to look like a fool who bought the game after raving about it for months before it came out, only to find out it didnt come close to the expectations I had for it. Seems to me like you are trying to find every and any reason to like this game, despite what 99% of everyone is saying about it. Just because you can teach yourself to eat shit and like it, doesn't mean it aint shit!!!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

I read the reviews for "Catwoman" and thought...those bastard biased liars. I watched it on HBO. So they weren't lying.

This is a lame thread. Reviews saves you time and money. The game sucks. Get over it.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
I read the reviews for "Catwoman" and thought...those bastard biased liars. I watched it on HBO. So they weren't lying.

This is a lame thread. Reviews saves you time and money. The game sucks. Get over it.

Good analogy. I also thought "well, Catwoman is probably bad but it can't be THAT bad..."

Then I watched the movie. It IS that bad. The reviewers were right.

When 90+% of reviewers are bitching about something, chances are they're right.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
mancandy said:

Good analogy. I also thought "well, Catwoman is probably bad but it can't be THAT bad..."

Then I watched the movie. It IS that bad. The reviewers were right.

When 90+% of reviewers are bitching about something, chances are they're right.

That's actually what I was thinking too. It was so bad I couldn't stop watching it. It's like a watching train wreck. I kind of want to see the train wreck called Lair.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

CKMLB = Bitter

Also, Tycho and Gabe hated halo as a single player game, not as a multiplayer game, even then Halo did well not because it was a great game but because it was a game that appealed to the lowest common denominator. They also saw it as the iconic poster child of the xbox and its ridiculously large controller which at that point in time gave everyone ample reason to dislike its awkward entrance onto the market.

Either way, if you're going to call out two individuals who infadecimally have been right far more times than they've been wrong you're not so much making a point as you're just playing the odds and digging for anything you can find to suggest they had at anytime had an opinion that wasn't popular. If you'd like I could find many times where the game reviewers who bashed Lair have been well off the mark as well but I think we can assume from their unanimous consensus on the matter that there is something inherently wrong with the quality of this game.

In addition, reviewers have flat out admitted to not knowing how to accurately rate DS and Wii games since graphics are such an integral part of most reviewers ranking systems. Incidentally they have also admitted to not knowing how to weigh a Casual game from the perspective of the audience they're used to writing for. This shows a self-admitted dillemma on a much larger scale resulting from the current shift in gaming focus as we're seeing the Wii in particular bringing to the forefront of this generation.

Lair on the otherhand was a game that has everything reviewers are familiar with in reviewing and still got shit on, in fact it was the kind of game most reviewers live for. The fact that Sony and Factor 5 fessed up to the game sucking and immediately began pointing fingers, spouting nonsense about ghosts and guides on how to review the game properly (for fuck's sake) shows this is not the same situation as Reviewers admitting not being able to properly review a particular genre or movement in gaming.

Seriously Cklmb do you actually read up on any of information relevant to the discussion or do you just see a situation where a "Hardcore" game is getting bashed so you instictively conclude Nintendo fans are to blame and begin a sloppy tyrad about how Wii fanboys are hypocrites while you conveniently ignore everything that is essential to the understanding of the context and circumstances of the issue at hand.

Unless your argument is that Factor-5 themselves are Wii fanboys for admitting the game sucks, you clearly either don't know what you're talking about or you're just trying to make a desperate retalitory jab for the hardcore irregardless the tripe your defending.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

ChichiriMuyo said:

The issue with reviewers is that they have their opinions, and I don't share them. According to the reviewers three of the 10 best games of all time are FPS games and I don't even like those. They also give games like Ys 6, PSU, and Koudelka scores as bad as Lair and I found all of those to be enjoyable.

Lets say I had played Lair, why do you think you would agree with my review?

mancandy said:
That's actually what I was thinking too. It was so bad I couldn't stop watching it. It's like a watching train wreck. I kind of want to see the train wreck called Lair. 

If you do ever experience the Lair trainwreck, tether the Sixaxis to your wrist.

You'll thank me later. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Surprise, surprise, the Wii people trolling this thread which specifically asks for someone who has played the game have not played it.

I own the game, it came in the mail 2 days ago, but I have been too busy to sit down and play it yet. Tonight I will give it a spin and let you know what my initial impressions are.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson