By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm displeased with Nintendo's pricing of MotionPlus

nordlead said:
megaman79 said:
It will be interesting to see the sales prior to the the release of Virtua Tennis. Thats the first title being released in PAL region anyway about 3 weeks later.

In the US the device will be out for 1 week before any anounced games for it are available. I'm really thinking Nintendo might drop a bomb on us at E3 and anounce a game that will be available the same day that WM+ is. It doesn't make any sense to release WM+ if nothing uses it.

Did you see Rubang's comment in the news article?

June 8th is a Monday. You guys know what that means? Secret WiiWare games that use Wii Motion Plus. You heard it here first folks.

It makes sense...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
nordlead said:
megaman79 said:
It will be interesting to see the sales prior to the the release of Virtua Tennis. Thats the first title being released in PAL region anyway about 3 weeks later.

In the US the device will be out for 1 week before any anounced games for it are available. I'm really thinking Nintendo might drop a bomb on us at E3 and anounce a game that will be available the same day that WM+ is. It doesn't make any sense to release WM+ if nothing uses it.

June 8th is a Monday. You guys know what that means? Secret WiiWare games that use Wii Motion Plus. You heard it here first folks.

It makes sense...

My only problem with this theory is it would possibly be confusing. Person buys the WiiWare game, but doesn't have WM+, they then have to go out to a store to buy the accessory. It could be what they are planning, but a retail game release makes a lot more sense.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

@nordlead, I believe if a WW game used WM+ then it would probably have it labeled on the game before you d/l it saying it requires WM+. Although, maybe someone would somehow miss that.

nordlead said:
NJ5 said:
nordlead said:
megaman79 said:

It makes sense...

My only problem with this theory is it would possibly be confusing. Person buys the WiiWare game, but doesn't have WM+, they then have to go out to a store to buy the accessory. It could be what they are planning, but a retail game release makes a lot more sense.

They could put a huge warning before purchase, or the game could support both the normal Wiimote and the Wiimote with WM+.

I think it has more to do with pricing. If they had priced it at $10, which was plausible, then the item would seem cheap and worthless. Then no one would buy it aside from those that know what it is. Sometimes you have to overprice things to make them seem to have importance. Otherwise they'll seem like a cheap, worthless accessory that doesn't do much which clearly isn't the case with WM+. I think $20 is a good standard price point to still get it relatively cheap but show that it's expensive enough to add something to the wiimote that is necessary.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
cacafina said:
NJ5 said:

Wait, is the price confirmed?

I was also hoping it could be 10-15 €, but given that this is an accessory it needs to have a sizable retailer margin... Maybe they simply couldn't sell it for those prices without losing money.

By the way these gyroscopes are pretty new technology (at this size).

Actually $19.99 are like 14 euros so i don't get your complain.

Not after you add taxes which $ prices don't include and € ones do...

It will probably cost 20 € in Europe, that's my point. And it was not a complaint.

OHH taxes yeah sorry.

Only 20$? that's pretty cheap.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I'll probably just get it packaged with WSR and any other game it gets packaged with.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

woopah said:
http://www.invensense.com/store/index.html

these guys are making motion+ and are thier cheapest gyroscope is $30

however the $40 model sounds closer to what motion+ appears to be. obviously nintendo gets them cheaper because of the economies of scale but factor in packaging, distribution and retailer'c cut and the price seems resoanable to me

Interesting link. WM+ publicity talked about bringing the cost down to "$1 per axis." I believe the WM+ contains three dual-axis gyros, so we're looking at $6 for the gyros themselves, assuming Invensense actually met their cost target. Add in the shell, connector ports, and quite likely a processor to interpret WM+ input, and $10 isn't going to be a profitable price for this device.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
woopah said:
http://www.invensense.com/store/index.html

these guys are making motion+ and are thier cheapest gyroscope is $30

however the $40 model sounds closer to what motion+ appears to be. obviously nintendo gets them cheaper because of the economies of scale but factor in packaging, distribution and retailer'c cut and the price seems resoanable to me

Interesting link. WM+ publicity talked about bringing the cost down to "$1 per axis." I believe the WM+ contains three dual-axis gyros, so we're looking at $6 for the gyros themselves, assuming Invensense actually met their cost target. Add in the shell, connector ports, and quite likely a processor to interpret WM+ input, and $10 isn't going to be a profitable price for this device.

They're selling for $5.52 when buying in quantities of 1000:

http://www.analog.com/en/mems-and-sensors/imems-accelerometers/adxl330/products/product.html#pricing

(according to ars technica this is the model Nintendo uses)

This is of course before adding in any support hardware or the retailer margin, so $10 would be unrealistic indeed (besides what Zucas pointed out which is also true).