By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm displeased with Nintendo's pricing of MotionPlus

You know how Nintendo has certain downloads that are only available if you own a special code? You need to buy the WiiSpeak microphone before you can download the free WiiSpeak channel.

Perhaps the WiiMotion+ accessory comes with a code which lets you download a free or cheap WiiWare game. That way only people who own the accessory can download or buy it.

Or they can make a game that doesn't NEED WiiMotion+ to work, but is much much better with WiiMotion+. That's how all the Balance Board ski and snowboard games work. They can work without the Balance Board.

Also, WiiMotion+ is coming out on a Friday in Europe, which is also their weekly WiiWare release day.

I just refuse to believe that Nintendo will sell this for $20 before a single game uses it. That's unheard of. It needs a launch title. We'll get at least one. Something to warm us up for Wii Sports Resort. Something to get reviewers tingling for a month in advance.

Around the Network

While the price is a little high, they are a company and they do want to maximize as much profit as possible (which is why the Wii has not seen a price drop) So I'm not really surprised at the price tag (even if it is B.S)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

If I didn't expect this to be bundled on various titles I would be annoyed. But I doubt I will ever need to buy one of these separately.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

I think it's a very good price.

I'm only going to buy one extra, but I agree it should only be $10 each.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
famousringo said:
woopah said:
http://www.invensense.com/store/index.html

these guys are making motion+ and are thier cheapest gyroscope is $30

however the $40 model sounds closer to what motion+ appears to be. obviously nintendo gets them cheaper because of the economies of scale but factor in packaging, distribution and retailer'c cut and the price seems resoanable to me

Interesting link. WM+ publicity talked about bringing the cost down to "$1 per axis." I believe the WM+ contains three dual-axis gyros, so we're looking at $6 for the gyros themselves, assuming Invensense actually met their cost target. Add in the shell, connector ports, and quite likely a processor to interpret WM+ input, and $10 isn't going to be a profitable price for this device.

They're selling for $5.52 when buying in quantities of 1000:

http://www.analog.com/en/mems-and-sensors/imems-accelerometers/adxl330/products/product.html#pricing

(according to ars technica this is the model Nintendo uses)

This is of course before adding in any support hardware or the retailer margin, so $10 would be unrealistic indeed (besides what Zucas pointed out which is also true).

I think you have the wrong device. That's the accelerometer in the Wii Remote. The gyroscope chip in in the WM+ is called the IDG-600, and I don't see it advertised on their web site. It might be available in some of these MEMS gyros starting at $20, though.

http://www.analog.com/en/mems-and-sensors/imems-gyroscopes/products/index.html

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The wiimote and nunchuck should be cheaper by now. Why is Nintendo so fucking greedy?

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

Hyperion said:
The wiimote and nunchuck should be cheaper by now. Why is Nintendo so fucking greedy?

It's amazing how Nintendo can sell something that should have been a part of the system at launch for so much.

Nintendo is doing everything they can to make money, it's not about games for them anymore. It's all profits profits profits to them.

At the time Nintendo launched the Wii, this technology didn't exist in a cheap or small form.

@famousringo: Oops!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957