By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The 500 dollar gaming pc

Crysis

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

And I can make an even better PC for around $500. lol

Hit ME up if you want a good guide for building a PC.

IllegalPaladin said:
Legend11 said:
chuckd said:
Yojimbo said:
Those 500$ computers is not really enough maybe if you want to play games on 1024* resolution and still they will not be that good at the end of 2008. But still its good computer but not for serious pc gamer. Stuff like 1GB DDR2 wont hold it specially if you have Vista you must have atleast 2GB. The graphic card is not that good either. Nobody wants to build a computer and then rebuild it again after a year if you are a pc gamer you better invest in the beginning 500$ is not enough.

Yeah, if you read the conclusion, it says that it's best to get 2GB of RAM and a better video card. But they were shooting for $500. It's funny how the most expensive component they chose is the power supply. However, that pc will run any game that's out right now at 1024 easily. Of course, they chose a DX10 compliant card, you can get better performance from a non-DX10 card now and just upgrade when/if DX10 becomes standard (that's what I'm doing). Also, if you can salvage some parts from your current pc (case, power supply, optical drives, hard drive etc.), you can use that cash for other stuff or just save some money. If you made the logical upgrades, it'd be more like $650. Personally, I tend to upgrade my pc about once a year with something or another anyways.

I was a little curious so I looked up a review of the card at Extremetech and it is pretty horrible. For example they use 2 gigs of ram and a Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 @2.66GHz (much faster than the processor in the $500 computer and some games could barely run at 1024x768. Call of Duty 2 ran at 22fps, with 4xAA 8xAF it ran at 14fps, Supreme Commander ran at 21fps, with 4xAA 8xAF it ran at 14fps. Of course some games ran fine like Half Life 2 but who wants a system where it's going to be hit or miss if the game will be close to slideshow, imagine Crysis on that PC.*

It's true if you spend the money you can get a PC that blows away the consoles but that's like almost everything else, the more money you have the better you can get.

*Extremetech article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2151679,00.asp

That might just mean that the video card is running into a bottleneck because it's only so good (hence why it was made) and it can't keep up with how fast the CPU is going. A Core 2 Quad Qx6700 would be better paired with the best ATI or Nvidia cards, not their low end ones.

So you're saying the CPU was so awesome the graphics card couldn't handle being in proximity to its awesomeness?  Sorry, that fails the common sense test.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Ive built ( well ordered the parts individually and than asked a shop to build it ) a PC for ~ 700 $ back in 01 , and it still runs some games pretty well this days . A PC can run games even in 5 years , the question is how ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

If you think its cheap to get a good computer then find me one that runs Crysis at over 60FPS on 1900x1200 resolution at max settings. Also include the price for Vista too, i want DX-10. I'll be waiting for this cheap computer you come up with.

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
If you think its cheap to get a good computer then find me one that runs Crysis at over 60FPS on 1900x1200 resolution at max settings. Also include the price for Vista too, i want DX-10. I'll be waiting for this cheap computer you come up with.

Without directly doing the research to answer your trolling, it'll be around $900. Take the original pc, add $250 for a top end video card. Add $50 for 1GB of RAM. Add $111 for Vista. When the pc starts to show some age, o/c the cpu.

DinoPC is a great place to get cheap machines, also check out the deals on the PC World clearances (on the website) you can generally find something really good for a low, low price.

Do people honestly care about Crysis that much anyway? It looks like it'll play rather "meh" in my opinion. Far Cry 2 looks better to me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

fazz said:
Don't be so pessimistic Ben.

We all know Spore is gonna be released just before Duke Nukem Forever

ID decided to switch their goal with DNF and said Fall 2009. So Summer 2009 for Spore? lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

BenKenobi88: I have waited for Crysis for very long time. There is even Crysis computer in Sweden. There is a logo on the computer that says that the computer can handle Crysis. The demo is coming out 25 september I am very excited. Far cry 2 looks more meh too me I thought Ubisoft were doing that? But I enjoyed the original Far cry. First I thought Crysis was sequel to Far Cry but found out later but the hype is still on.