By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The 500 dollar gaming pc

Tom's has the definitive guide for building a great cheap pc.  I used their last guide when I built my pc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/10/the_500_gaming_machine_2007_edition/

A must read to anyone thinking of building a new pc.  Also a nice shot to all the console elitists who think that you can't have a gaming pc for less than $2000.

Around the Network

I feel sorry for some console gamers, because they don't realize what a good PC you can get for 500-800 bucks.

And it's great for everything, not just games, obviously, so definitely worth it. I finally got a new computer for $500 this past month after having my old one for a few years...can't wait to play the upcoming PC games this year.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Interesting. Too bad I won't be upgrading my computer until next year since my Wii is absorbing most of my electronics budget. Then again the big graphics games aren't coming until next year so I'll get an $600-800 PC that is 2-3 times better so I guess it works out.

Excellent article, too bad is going to be completely ignored by console gamers, just to keep using their 'fact' that Pc gaming is expensive.

albionus said:
Interesting. Too bad I won't be upgrading my computer until next year since my Wii is absorbing most of my electronics budget. Then again the big graphics games aren't coming until next year so I'll get an $600-800 PC that is 2-3 times better so I guess it works out.

Well, there is this game that's coming out this year called Crysis. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Around the Network

Other than Crysis...there's not a big demand for DX10 computers for a bit yet. It's great to have it, but a good DX9 computer is practically as good for most games this year. Also, you'd have to switch to Vista for DX10...and not too many people want that.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

chuckd said:
albionus said:

Well, there is this game that's coming out this year called Crysis. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Perhaps I have, and perhaps I don't spend $500+ for a single game.

I'll upgrade my PC when Spore comes out.

You probably won't need a high end computer for Spore...but I guess a new PC at the time of Spore's release will be a good PC indeed...considering Spore is on track for a fall release in 2056.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Don't be so pessimistic Ben.

We all know Spore is gonna be released just before Duke Nukem Forever.