By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Copied Microsoft, But Where Is The Backlash?

Slimebeast said:
Hapimeses said:
Slimebeast said:
MS invented achievements, because the point is that it's a unified system that works through all games. That's far different than just having a "high score" on individual games like in the days of the great coin-op Arcades.

The point you seem to be making has already been made several times in this thread. MS created a unified leader-board founded upon various challenges in all the games on their platform. That was pretty unique. It deserves attention. It rocks. Others copied it because it was a good idea. Some platforms were slammed for copying (Sony, contrary to the OP's claims), some were not (Steam; well, not much), but none of that really matters. What matters is that it was a good adaption of an old idea, and it worked well.

However, to say 'MS invented acheivements' isn't true. It would be better to say that MS invented the universal Gamerscore. Many games had achievements in various forms before MS so effectively added Gamerscore to the mix.

I'd say MS still invented achievements because when you say 'achievements' ppl r thinking of that universal point system that works towards a larger goal, and that was a unique invention that will stay in gaming for all time. 

Achievements dramatically changed the way so many gamers play their games, so in hindsight it will be one of the really huge things to be remembered from this gen.

(but I'm in no way critizicing Sony for copying, I just say give credit where credit is due)

Thank you Slimebeast, some people just can never give Microsoft credit where it is due, I guess it's because they are supposedly this evil company or so I have heard.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
happimess - he is trying to discredit you by saying your a sony fanboy because he has no other response to you verbally owning him but he is failing big time

You saying I have failed big time doesn't make it so, sorry but it just doesn't.

They seem pretty different to me... and Trophies were a heavily requested feature... unlike NXE, Avatars, In the movies... and what not. I can see why someone would say it's a clone though.

4 ≈ One

I thank everyone for their comments so far.

Jeronimo66 said:
happimess - he is trying to discredit you by saying your a sony fanboy because he has no other response to you verbally owning him but he is failing big time

You saying I have failed big time doesn't make it so, sorry but it just doesn't.

uhm.. does that mean you think you have succeded at "discrediting happimess by saying he was a sony fanboy" ?

I mean, you seem to denie you failed at it, but you didn't denie that this was your intention.

Around the Network

I still think that trophies are overrated and that Sony never should've added them. I don't like doing that crap, and now the Trophy whores are going "I haz moar trophiz than yoo. yoo phail at laif." And of course there is the reason that those whores won't buy a game without trophies. Those people are freaking retarded.

Deviation59 said:
Of course, Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank series had achievements back on the PS2. Did Microsoft copy them?

Well actually Insomniac first started with that in Spyro 2 or 3, so they actually had achievements on the PSOne! :P

If the 360 didn't practicly define itself by how many games and experiences it steals from the playstation brand then you ccould talk about copies.

The 360 looks like a dreamcast and plays like a PS3 only thing original is online gaming fees and RROD. :D (just kidding there but you know that was a hot rhyme).

Seriously though pretty much everything done on the 360 has already been done and what are 360 fanboys most hyped about for E3 this year? That Mabey they'll get to play another PS3 game on their system?

I don't see the reason for achievments... just another tally score that pubescent boys can use to measure their "penis size" when everyone knows they aren't getting any anyways so who cares how big it is.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Lafiel said:
Jeronimo66 said:

uhm.. does that mean you think you have succeded at "discrediting happimess by saying he was a sony fanboy" ?

I mean, you seem to denie you failed at it, but you didn't denie that this was your intention.

What do you think have I failed or have I succeeded or neither?