By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any other game ever beat Wii Sports as the greatest game ever

Wii Sports is one of the greatest games ever made, one of the most revolutionary games, and one of the biggest global cultural phenomenons. It is up there with Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros., and Tetris, and that will never change.

It could get outsold in the future due to population growth and market expansion, but it will most likely be a really long time before that happens.

But I highly doubt a new gameplay interface will out-revolutionize Wii Sports for this generation, and most likely not until we get something completely new and different like smell-o-gaming or virtual reality. Anything with WiiMotionPlus is just expanding on the revolution of Wii Sports, and could be way better but not as revolutionary.

Around the Network
jonnhytesta said:
eminem and shakira beats bethoven then.

Lol, its kinda the same.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Wii Sports is one of the greatest games ever made, one of the most revolutionary games, and one of the biggest global cultural phenomenons. It is up there with Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros., and Tetris, and that will never change.

It could get outsold in the future due to population growth and market expansion, but it will most likely be a really long time before that happens.

But I highly doubt a new gameplay interface will out-revolutionize Wii Sports for this generation, and most likely not until we get something completely new and different like smell-o-gaming or virtual reality. Anything with WiiMotionPlus is just expanding on the revolution of Wii Sports, and could be way better but not as revolutionary.

I don't understand your logic. How can any of this be attributed to Wii Sports, when in fact it has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the Wii itself?

What is one of the most logical ways to show off motionbased controls? Sports, like baseball, golf and tennis where you swing something! If Nintendo hadn't made Wii Sports, someone else would have made a crappy compilation of watered down sportsgames to capitalize on the controlmethods presented with the Wii.

Rainbird said:

I don't understand your logic. How can any of this be attributed to Wii Sports, when in fact it has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the Wii itself?

What is one of the most logical ways to show off motionbased controls? Sports, like baseball, golf and tennis where you swing something! If Nintendo hadn't made Wii Sports, someone else would have made a crappy compilation of watered down sportsgames to capitalize on the controlmethods presented with the Wii.

Hm, well I understand your logic, but I shall try to clear mine up.  I will respond to your 2 paragraphs in order good sir.

1) You could say that the Wii is the revolution and Wii Sports is the voice, the face, and the spokesperson of the revolution, the one that gets to be on Oprah, Ellen, Colbert, and played everywhere from convalescent homes and rehabilitation clinics to cruise ships and even played live at the Oscars.  I think it's important that years later Wii Sports is the game that gets advertised in this way, rather than any Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Brawl, or Mario Kart.  People still have Wii Sports parties, and they're bigger than Guitar Hero parties (most likely because anybody can play, and 4 people can play at once).

For many people, Wii Sports is the first game they've ever played, and is the reason they're gamers today.  Wii Sports sells the Wii.  When there were demo kiosks at the mall by my house before it launched, I saw jaws dropping everywhere, and people flocking to golf and bowl and play tennis.  The game has crazy universal appeal, and attracts non-gamers, casual gamers, and relapsed gamers like bees to sweet delicious honey.  Within the first few months after it launched, 4 of my friends bought a Wii just because they fell in love with Wii Sports at my house.

2) Several other companies HAVE made crappy compilations of watered down sports games to capitalize on the control methods presented with the Wii.  I have yet to hear anybody argue that Deca Sports or Carnival Games or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics or Wii Play are better than Wii Sports.  Everybody's waiting for Wii Sports Resort and skipping all the Carnival Games sequels.  I think Wii Sports sales in Japan alone outsell all minigame/partygame compilations worldwide, except for Mario & Sonic.

And I still play Wii Sports.  So far I think it's the type of game I can play my whole life, like Tetris and a few other classics.

lol

It's all about the game.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:

Hm, well I understand your logic, but I shall try to clear mine up.  I will respond to your 2 paragraphs in order good sir.

1) You could say that the Wii is the revolution and Wii Sports is the voice, the face, and the spokesperson of the revolution, the one that gets to be on Oprah, Ellen, Colbert, and played everywhere from convalescent homes and rehabilitation clinics to cruise ships and even played live at the Oscars.  I think it's important that years later Wii Sports is the game that gets advertised in this way, rather than any Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Brawl, or Mario Kart.  People still have Wii Sports parties, and they're bigger than Guitar Hero parties (most likely because anybody can play, and 4 people can play at once).

For many people, Wii Sports is the first game they've ever played, and is the reason they're gamers today.  Wii Sports sells the Wii.  When there were demo kiosks at the mall by my house before it launched, I saw jaws dropping everywhere, and people flocking to golf and bowl and play tennis.  The game has crazy universal appeal, and attracts non-gamers, casual gamers, and relapsed gamers like bees to sweet delicious honey.  Within the first few months after it launched, 4 of my friends bought a Wii just because they fell in love with Wii Sports at my house.

2) Several other companies HAVE made crappy compilations of watered down sports games to capitalize on the control methods presented with the Wii.  I have yet to hear anybody argue that Deca Sports or Carnival Games or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics or Wii Play are better than Wii Sports.  Everybody's waiting for Wii Sports Resort and skipping all the Carnival Games sequels.  I think Wii Sports sales in Japan alone outsell all minigame/partygame compilations worldwide, except for Mario & Sonic.

And I still play Wii Sports.  So far I think it's the type of game I can play my whole life, like Tetris and a few other classics.

A matter of perception then. In many ways, I agree with you. I would go so far as to call Wii Sports a tech demo, and depending on my mood, I might even say nothing but a tech demo.

Yes, this is what sells the Wii, and yes, people love it. But for me, the game got boring after about 10 minutes in each category of play, which I think is what makes our perceptions fundamentally different from each other.

The paragraph before your last question was kind of unnecessary, or mainly the sentence that trashed other games...

But then again, so is this entire thread because there are so many different opinions on what is the greatest game ever and mini-games, or any games resembling them, usually aren't popular (on the interweb). It's not nice to trash games, too, even if it's your own opinion.... >_<

I think I just summarized the entire thread....

*Edited*

I need to read what I post next time.....

Maybe you will understand when I say I feel the same when people say a britney spears album is the best of all time, when Jonas Brothers are called the new beatles, etc... People love them, but people....

t3mporary_126 said:

The paragraph before your last question was kind of unnecessary, or mainly the sentence that trashed other games...

But then again, so is this entire thread because there are so many different opinions on what is the greatest game ever and mini-games, or any games resembling them, usually aren't popular (on the interweb). It's not nice to trash games, too, even if it's your own opinion.... >_<

I think I just summarized the entire thread....

*Edited*

I need to read what I post next time.....

wise man.

Rainbird said:

Most of those who had never played games before and were lured by Wii Sports have not become gamers at all.

Exactly like "The Da Vinci Code" struck gold by being a simple, smart book that somehow tickled the right spots in the western audience and grew to become an incredible success. I'm sure there were many people who hadn't read a book in many years of their adult life and that read "The Da Vince Code". And those were not readers, and the overwhelmingly majority of them still aren't readers today. And it hardly makes the book one of the greatest books ever written, only a best seller.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman