By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3 or Killzone 2. Which has the better Multiplayer feature?

Rpruett said:
Toefactor said:
I get a kick out of the haters that say Halo 3 isn't good and only sold based off of its name and marketing hype. What the name and marketing hype don't explain is how even now, almost 2 years after its release, you can go into Halo 3's online match making at 4am on a Wednesday and find 100 000 other people playing the game.

The only thing that explains this is quality and fun factor. People don't play games religiously for 2 years straight based off of marketing hype or a name. They might buy it for those reasons, but they keep playing it because it's fucking awesome.

When you sell over 9,000,000 copies of a game.  The majority of those 100,000 people are generally the most hardcore Halo fans left.  It's not hard to see.  I bet if you look at the ratios of other popular shooters/games it's very similar. 

For example 9,000,000 owners of Halo 3  and there is let's just say 100,000 active players still? That's 1/90th of the userbase.  In other words about 1.1% of the total Halo ownership is still playing 2 years later.

For a game like lets say LBP....Which has sold around 2,000,000 copies.  To achieve 1.1% of it's total people playing it would need only about 22,000 people still playing 2 years after release.

I'm not saying Halo ISN'T a good game.  (While I personally don't enjoy it all that much...It was better than 2 though.) It's well made and well liked by many.   To say that it wasn't more hyped than ANY game in recent times is downright silly though.   Halo has more hype than Mario...And that's saying something.  From Doritos to Pepsi products, to minute long commericals.

9,000,000 / 2 (Usebase which has online)

1,070,000 / 4,500,000 = 24% (Rounded up) of the Halo owners with online who played it in one 24 hour period.

P.S hen was referring to how many people who were playing at 4am.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Toefactor said:
I get a kick out of the haters that say Halo 3 isn't good and only sold based off of its name and marketing hype. What the name and marketing hype don't explain is how even now, almost 2 years after its release, you can go into Halo 3's online match making at 4am on a Wednesday and find 100 000 other people playing the game.

The only thing that explains this is quality and fun factor. People don't play games religiously for 2 years straight based off of marketing hype or a name. They might buy it for those reasons, but they keep playing it because it's fucking awesome.

When you sell over 9,000,000 copies of a game.  The majority of those 100,000 people are generally the most hardcore Halo fans left.  It's not hard to see.  I bet if you look at the ratios of other popular shooters/games it's very similar. 

For example 9,000,000 owners of Halo 3  and there is let's just say 100,000 active players still? That's 1/90th of the userbase.  In other words about 1.1% of the total Halo ownership is still playing 2 years later.

For a game like lets say LBP....Which has sold around 2,000,000 copies.  To achieve 1.1% of it's total people playing it would need only about 22,000 people still playing 2 years after release.

I'm not saying Halo ISN'T a good game.  (While I personally don't enjoy it all that much...It was better than 2 though.) It's well made and well liked by many.   To say that it wasn't more hyped than ANY game in recent times is downright silly though.   Halo has more hype than Mario...And that's saying something.  From Doritos to Pepsi products, to minute long commericals.

1,070,000 / 4,500,000 = 24% (Rounded up) of the Halo owners with online who played it in one 24 hour period.

Why are you dividing the Halo userbase which has online...It's very possible that most Halo owners also have a gold subscription.   And that seems hardly like a 'reliable' statistic.  Seems more like one you just made up in your head.  

I know what time he was referring to. I actually took his number as guesstimate anyways.  Let's see the daily usage numbers for Halo 3.  Actual hard evidence.  Then we can calculate this.

Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Toefactor said:

Why are you dividing the Halo userbase which has online...It's very possible that most Halo owners also have a gold subscription.   And that seems hardly like a 'reliable' statistic.  Seems more like one you just made up in your head.  

I know what time he was referring to. I actually took his number as guesstimate anyways.  Let's see the daily usage numbers for Halo 3.  Actual hard evidence.  Then we can calculate this.

Why am I dividing by who has online? They are the Halo owners delivering measurable statistics. The other half aren't connected so they can't be counted.

Actual usage? 1,020,000 unique players last 24 hours.

"It did it, Halo 3 broke a million players within the past 24 hours:

Unique Players (Last 24 Hours):
1,020,840"

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=67563&page=2

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Toefactor said:

Why am I dividing by who has online? They are the Halo owners delivering measurable statistics. The other half aren't connected so they can't be counted.

1,020,840"

So Halo 3 has 4,500,000 users total...That have played it online?  Does Halo 3 count guests as part of their 'unique users' online?  If so that could greatly skew the numbers.

selnor said:
786_ali said:
non-gravity said:
786_ali said:
donkeykong88 said:
non-gravity said:
This thread stinks

KZ2

lol why is that?

Because, non-gravity can see that this is an attempt to ignite another flamewar

Mind your own bussiness. You always stalk me around everywhere :p

wtf? stalking you? yeah riiiiiiiight... I was on this thread before you. It's mine! :P

LMAO

I am finding more and more that while reading these threads I am going into convulsions laughing at some of the wonderful happy relations which are going on between members here ;)  This was my official laugh of the day and boy there were many!

I personally prefer KZ2 to Halo 3.  I have anger management problems and when I play Halo 3 I become violently angry at the morons who jump around like Tigger with a pogo stick up his ass picking me off before I can figure out what to do.  I ended up breaking one of my controllers by swinging it against the coffee table in anger and decided that it was in my own best interest to avoid the game.

However with Killzone 2 I can take out real world frustrations on a realistic seeming beautiful war simulator.  This is not the Sony fanboy in me because I would say the same of no other! 

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:

1,020,840"

So Halo 3 has 4,500,000 users total...That have played it online?  Does Halo 3 count guests as part of their 'unique users' online?  If so that could greatly skew the numbers.

Probably not, only people with Xbox Live accounts which have been activated on the net. If they log in as a guess then they can't be unique can they?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:

1,020,840"

Probably not, only people with Xbox Live accounts which have been activated on the net. If they log in as a guess then they can't be unique can they?

I don't know.  I've heard that they might.   That's why I asked.  Tecnhically Joe, Joe(1), Joe(2), Joe(3) would all be "unique" it depends on the definition.

Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:
Rpruett said:
Squilliam said:

1,020,840"

I don't know.  I've heard that they might.   That's why I asked.  Tecnhically Joe, Joe(1), Joe(2), Joe(3) would all be "unique" it depends on the definition.

I believe it tracks user I.Ds which have email addresses etc attached to them, I.E unique user I.Ds. If you have a 360 playing Halo 3 and Bob plays, he counts as one unique user. If bob and sally play but sally doesn't have an account registered on live, only Bob counts. If Bob and Mike play and they are both on Xbox Live, then both Bob and Mike count.

Tease.

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=18361

The months of subtle hinting and sly dodging are over, the Mythic Map Pack is coming to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace on April 9th, 2009. 

For those who have stumbled into this story completely oblivious, here's the condensed version of what you can expect to get when you plunk down your hard-earned 800 Microsoft Points in exchange for this trio of maps:

"New spaces, new skulls, and new achievements for Halo 3's Multiplayer experience. Get tactical in Orbital, compete on the symmetrical Assembly, and construct your own creation with the Forger’s paradise, Sandbox, a blank slate offering players unprecedented levels of customization."

Speaking of unprecedented, on the heels of our One Billionth game played, we thought we'd dig into to some of the other Halo 3 stats we can track to put things into a little perspective, just prior to the Mythic Map Pack's public release.

Halo 3 launched back in September of 2007.  On April 9th, when the Mythic Map Pack becomes available, nearly twenty full months will have transpired.  We're not going to play coy, after the successes of both Halo and Halo 2, we knew Halo 3 was poised to see a ton of buzz and even more hours of gameplay, but we never knew it would still be going so strong, so many months after its launch. 

We're honored that you're still playing.

Here are a few Halo 3 factoids that we're really proud of:

• Halo 3 is still averaging close to 900,000 unique players per day on Xbox LIVE, it routinely pushes over a million on weekends, and it's actually trending upwards.
  • The average Halo 3 player session clocks in at roughly one hour per play.
  • The Legendary Map Pack, released just about one year ago, still averages over five thousand downloads per day!
  • Both the Heroic Map Pack and Cold Storage are holding strong at over 11,000 downloads per day.
  • Halo 3 charted fifteenth overall in the NPD sales chart for February 2009, again, nearly twenty months out from our retail launch.
  • You're closing in on Ten BILLION Covenant Campaign kills all told (just under 9.8 billion currently).
  • Total Halo 3 Players Smashed by the Banhammer, for any reason, ever: 57,854.
  • Players rocking the New Hayabusa (aka Recon Armor): 452.

Some stats on your user-created content:

• Total Content Items Downloaded : 1,467,453,346.
  • Total Uploaded: 70,699,248.
  • Screenshots currently available on B.net: 70,157,911.
  • Saved Films and Film Clips currently on B.net: 5,671,549 (for a total running time of 730,445,087 seconds).
  • Game Variants currently available on B.net: 409,009.
  • Map Variants currently available on B.net: 1,384,343.

According to the data we receive from Xbox LIVE:

• Close to 15 million people have played Halo 3, Launch-to-Date.
  • Over 2 million players have completed the campaign on Legendary Difficulty.
  • Over 9 million players have Graduated from Basic Training in Matchmaking.
  • Over 6.8 million players have earned the MVP Award in a Ranked Playlist.
  • Just over a quarter-million people have earned their Annual Achievement so far (what are you waiting for?! The ROAD TO RECON is open for all.  Get on it!).
  • A total of nearly 200 MILLION Achievements have been unlocked in Halo 3.

For the full spate of B.net coverage, you can check out all the the blog posts and Top Stories organized under the Mythic Map Pack label.  If you fancy yourself more of a visually oriented person, we've got dozens of Mythic Map Pack Screenshots in our official Halo 3 Gallery.

We know the Mythic Map Pack has been a long time coming.  We can't wait for you to drop in and get some game time logged on our three new spaces.  We'd also like to stress, as always, that we couldn't have done it without you, the player.  Thanks for taking our games and making them you're own.  You kick ass.  We can't wait to see what you do with Sandbox.  And we can't wait for you to see what else we have in store for 2009 and beyond.

Thanks for playing.

P.S. Our great friends over at HBO are getting in on the Mythic Map Pack act, asking those who've already been given an early screening to return the favor and produce their own short trailer for the maps.  If you want to try your hand, follow the link below, read the instructions, and fire up your capture cards.  We'll be watching.

The stats that XBox Live tracks(and thus Bungie) are Unique Users.  Here is some information on Unique Users.

Unique user

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to IFABC Global Web Standards, a unique user (UU) is "An IP address plus a further identifier. Sites may use User Agent, Cookie and/or Registration ID." Note that where users are allocated IP addresses dynamically (for example by dial-up Internet service providers), this definition may overstate or understate the real number of individual users concerned.[1]

Unique users is a common measurement of the popularity of a website, often quoted to potential advertisers or investors, and measured over a standard period of time, typically a month. However, Greg Harmon of Belden Research says "may overstate" is a gross understatement. Remember, it's just an identifier of a computer, not a person. And usually, the computer is identified by a "cookie" which is most often specific to an individual browser on that computer. Since an increasing percentage of people in the United States (at least) now have access to a computer at home and at work or school, one may have to divide the reported total of unique users in half. Then another increasing fraction of people regularly delete cookies from their machines—presumably both at home and at work, and yet another large fraction use more than one browser on each of their machines. This means that for a typical news site, for example, which people might typically visit more than once a day to keep up with breaking news, the reported unique users might overstate the number of different people by a factor of four. On the plus side, for those wishing to impress advertisers or investors, the reported number of sessions or visits and pageviews are probably more accurate, so that smaller group of people visits much more often and looks at more pages than the raw numbers would suggest.[2]

Understanding Unique users numbers

Similar to the TURF (Total Unduplicated Reach and Frequency) metric often used in television, radio and newspaper analyses, Unique Users is a measure of the distribution of content to a number of distinct consumers.

A common mistake in using Unique User numbers is adding Unique User numbers across different dimensions. A Unique User metric is only valid for its given set of dimensions e.g. time, browsers. For example a website may have 100 unique users on each day (day being the dimension) of a particular week. With only this data, one cannot extrapolate the number of weekly Unique Users (only that the Unique User count for the week is between 100 and 700).

Limitations of Unique User Numbers

Unique User counts for websites are typically counted by using cookies. When a browser visits a website, the website checks for the existence of a particular cookie. If the cookie is present, the cookie value is captured. If the cookie is not present, the website will create a cookie.

When cookies are used to track Unique Users, then
1) Cookie Flushing will cause Unique User numbers to be inflated.
2) Browsers set to not accept cookies will be ignored. IP address and/or User Agent String may be used as a proxy for a unique identifier placed in a cookie.